Is Chris Christie going to run in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:49:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Chris Christie going to run in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Chris Christie going to run in 2016?
No

No, but he will be the VP nominee

Yes, but he will lose the nomination

Yes, he will win the nomination but will lose the General Election

Yes, he will win the nomination and will win the General Election

Yes, he will lose the nomination but he will be the VP nominee

Yes, but he will drop out before the Iowa Caucuses

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Is Chris Christie going to run in 2016?  (Read 2506 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:18:39 AM »

Well? Smiley
What do you think?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »

Still my pick to win the nomination.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

I think Christie will run, but I don't know if he'll make it past NH/SC. If he can, he has a good chance at taking the establishment mantle and winning the nomination.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

If he ran, he might be able to break Eugene Debs' record in 1920.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »

No. 

The GOP's 2016 bench is quickly imploding.  Bush, Kasich or Walker is the establishment's only hope.  And Bush and Kasich are terrible, and Walker's not actually that "establishment".  Sad

#Romney2016 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:16:07 PM »

No.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »

I dont think so. His whole master plan was to set up a dominant position as the bipartisan choice and use that electiblity argument to trump any RINO issues. He was also expecting major financial backing so he can outspend his more conservative rivals.  Now he is left as a RINO with staffers expecting indictments and possibly under investigation himself and without the bipartisan support or big money.  And he doesnt seem to be the kind of guy who would runny a scrappy insurgency campaign and flip flop and pander his way to relevance.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:25 AM »

Yes, of course he's running*.  Why else did he go to Adleson-fest a couple of months ago, why else is he suddenly talking about foreign policy, and why else has there been this recent rightward shift in his rhetoric?:

http://themoderatevoice.com/196747/signs-are-chris-christie-is-running-for-president-rhetoric-veers-right/

* That is, he's running right now, as are a number of others.  Whether he'll still be in the race in ~9 months or so, when it's time to set up an exploratory committee, I don't know.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »

I think he'll be the Santorum of 2016. Despite what the media has done to him, he is still a strong candidate.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »

I think he may run, if there is no more investigations, but he won't win the nomination. I don't think the base likes him unless the field is uninspiring and they go to him as a default.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »

Unless something really damning comes out or he is just outright indicted, I think he still will. His chances at winning the nomination are poor at the moment, but I don't think it is impossble for him to become the default choice of the establishment if their other options don't pan out.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

I'll give odds on each...

35%- No, he will not run and he will not be the VP nominee.
3%- No, but he will be the VP nominee (Partially because the things that will prevent him from running would make a weak VP candidate.)
42%- Yes, but he will lose the nomination (This is more due to the crowded field than anything else.)
10%- Yes, he will win the nomination but will lose the General Election
10%- Yes, he will win the nomination and will win the General Election

He'd be a strong candidate in the General and if he could win the nomination it would likely mean that he's been able to withstand tremendous scrutiny. However, I wonder if he would have a better chance of winning the nomination in a cycle in which Democrats are favored, as has happened with McCain and Romney.

Subsections of earlier possibilities....
15% (24% chance if he runs) Yes, but he will drop out before the Iowa Caucuses. This would essentially occur if something really embarrassing comes out, or if there's a crisis in New Jersey which could be instigated by political enemies.
10%- Yes, but he'll lose the nomination and be the candidate for Veep. The Republicans have a strong bench, and this requires Christie to be clean and politically talented to be chosen for Veep, but to still lose the nomination. He could easily end up in John Edward's position ten years ago, the party and the media's preferred choice for Veep.
NHLiberal

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 04:29:22 PM »

I'll give odds on each...

35%- No, he will not run and he will not be the VP nominee.
3%- No, but he will be the VP nominee (Partially because the things that will prevent him from running would make a weak VP candidate.)
42%- Yes, but he will lose the nomination (This is more due to the crowded field than anything else.)
10%- Yes, he will win the nomination but will lose the General Election
10%- Yes, he will win the nomination and will win the General Election

He'd be a strong candidate in the General and if he could win the nomination it would likely mean that he's been able to withstand tremendous scrutiny. However, I wonder if he would have a better chance of winning the nomination in a cycle in which Democrats are favored, as has happened with McCain and Romney.

Subsections of earlier possibilities....
15% (24% chance if he runs) Yes, but he will drop out before the Iowa Caucuses. This would essentially occur if something really embarrassing comes out, or if there's a crisis in New Jersey which could be instigated by political enemies.
10%- Yes, but he'll lose the nomination and be the candidate for Veep. The Republicans have a strong bench, and this requires Christie to be clean and politically talented to be chosen for Veep, but to still lose the nomination. He could easily end up in John Edward's position ten years ago, the party and the media's preferred choice for Veep.

Actually agree with you 100% for once
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »

Option 3 is my guess. 
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 05:51:21 PM »

He'll run. He'll get past the Iowa caucuses, but he won't win them, and he won't win any primaries, either.  He'll be done at South Carolina.

I don't think anything terrible will happen to Christie, in terms of legal consequences, as a result of Bridgegate.  He won't be indicted, and there won't be scores of folks taking any kind of fall.  What HAS happened and will continue to happen is that Christie will become progressively unlikeable.   Christie has an intimidating bully side to him that is not appealing to voters, and too much of that side has already been shown.  He's developed an image for meanness and pettiness, and most folks believe he's deserved it.

Additionally, Christie is no longer seen as someone special.  He may be able to carry NJ, but I'm not sure he'd carry VA or even OH against Hillary.  I'm not sure he'd carry FL.  Really, what's special about Christie that a GOP primary voter should choose him over any other Republican?  What's the narrative that sets Christie apart from the pack as a viable candidate with a real chance to win?
NHLiberal

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »

He'll run. He'll get past the Iowa caucuses, but he won't win them, and he won't win any primaries, either.  He'll be done at South Carolina.

I don't think anything terrible will happen to Christie, in terms of legal consequences, as a result of Bridgegate.  He won't be indicted, and there won't be scores of folks taking any kind of fall.  What HAS happened and will continue to happen is that Christie will become progressively unlikeable.   Christie has an intimidating bully side to him that is not appealing to voters, and too much of that side has already been shown.  He's developed an image for meanness and pettiness, and most folks believe he's deserved it.

Additionally, Christie is no longer seen as someone special.  He may be able to carry NJ, but I'm not sure he'd carry VA or even OH against Hillary.  I'm not sure he'd carry FL.  Really, what's special about Christie that a GOP primary voter should choose him over any other Republican?  What's the narrative that sets Christie apart from the pack as a viable candidate with a real chance to win?

This
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »

What Fuzzy Bear said.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »

Yes, but I can't see him winning the nomination.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »

I think he'll run only to prove that he could... he won't get anywhere, but I expect him to run.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

Yes, but he'll lose the nomination to either Rand Paul, Rick Santorum (maybe), Jeb Bush (maybe) or Mike Huckabee. He'll be on the short list for Jeb and possibly Huckabee.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »

Yes, but he will drop out after either Iowa or South Carolina.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies