Your favorite hard liquor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:42:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Your favorite hard liquor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: ?
American whiskey

Brandy

Canadian whiskey

Gin

Irish whiskey

Rum

Scotch

Tequila

Vodka

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Your favorite hard liquor  (Read 5447 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

In my very brief experiences with alcohol, I've enjoyed Captain and Coke. White rum by itself is pretty gross, though I've handled it pretty well. Raspberry vodka is cool too. Voted rum.

Captain Morgan isn't white rum, is it?  Captain Morgan is a spiced rum, white rum is like cachaca or the stuff you put in crazy fruity drinks.  And, yeah, white rum is disgusting and tastes like alcoholic melted cotton candy.

It's not, I should have specified I've tried two different brands. Forget what the white rum brand was. But yeah, it mostly tasted like metallic cough syrup.

In any case, do yourself a favor, train yourself to drink liquor straight or with a few ice cubes. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »

I'm a thoroughgoing wine drinker, so hard liquor is tough because all I taste is alcohol, fire (or in gin's case, polish), etc. Having said that, it would probably be vodka. There are things that can be done with vodka (White Russians are like spiked milkshakes Smiley) to make it palatable and now they have reduced alcohol (reduced calorie) flavored vodkas, and they are good to sip on ice.

I've tried all the stuff on that list except Tequila, and I don't really like any of it. Jameson Irish whiskey wasn't bad, though. But I wouldn't sit and drink it or mix it.

Scotch and gin I simply cannot do. Too nasty. I have a relative who loves gin, and I had her make me a gin martini one time at a holiday gathering. I took one sip of it and gave it back to her. She drank it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »

Ron Pampero de Venezuela. 

Best rum there is.  Not white.  Not spiced.  It's golden, and very slightly more viscous than most rums.  Dry, yet fruity.  Somewhat sweet, of course, as it's rum, but not too sweet.  Very good neat.  Probably good on ice as well, or with juice, but I like it neat. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

I'm a thoroughgoing wine drinker, so hard liquor is tough because all I taste is alcohol, fire (or in gin's case, polish), etc. Having said that, it would probably be vodka. There are things that can be done with vodka (White Russians are like spiked milkshakes Smiley) to make it palatable and now they have reduced alcohol (reduced calorie) flavored vodkas, and they are good to sip on ice.

I've tried all the stuff on that list except Tequila, and I don't really like any of it. Jameson Irish whiskey wasn't bad, though. But I wouldn't sit and drink it or mix it.

Scotch and gin I simply cannot do. Too nasty. I have a relative who loves gin, and I had her make me a gin martini one time at a holiday gathering. I took one sip of it and gave it back to her. She drank it.

Worth noting that there's a pretty wide variety in flavors of scotch; some stuff is really peaty/smoky (Johnnie Walker, or the Islay single malts), whereas stuff from, say, Speyside is going to be a lot more delicate, with more of a honey flavor rather than a smoke flavor.  So it's worth trying a couple different varieties before writing the whole category off.  I mean, I like the smoky stuff but it's kind of an acquired taste.

Though I guess if hard liquor isn't your thing in general then maybe not.  De gustibus non est disputandum, etc.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

Worth noting that there's a pretty wide variety in flavors of scotch; some stuff is really peaty/smoky (Johnnie Walker, or the Islay single malts), whereas stuff from, say, Speyside is going to be a lot more delicate, with more of a honey flavor rather than a smoke flavor.  So it's worth trying a couple different varieties before writing the whole category off.  I mean, I like the smoky stuff but it's kind of an acquired taste.

Though I guess if hard liquor isn't your thing in general then maybe not.  De gustibus non est disputandum, etc.

To that end, it's kind of fun to get a whiskey flight to taste the subtle differences.  There's a really cool West Village bar that does a bunch of scotch whiskey flights.  I think it's called Highlands.  One of my favorite NYC whiskey destinations along with Beast of Bourbon in my hood.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »

Wodka...
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »

To that end, it's kind of fun to get a whiskey flight to taste the subtle differences.  There's a really cool West Village bar that does a bunch of scotch whiskey flights.  I think it's called Highlands.  One of my favorite NYC whiskey destinations along with Beast of Bourbon in my hood.

I love the idea of whisk(e)y flights, but they're too expensive for me 99% of the time.  Maybe I should get one for my birthday or something.

Beer flights are pretty cool and more doable, budget-wise.  I'd rather have four 4oz glasses of different beers rather than one monolithic pint, even if I have to spend an extra buck or two.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »

Beer flights are pretty cool and more doable, budget-wise.  I'd rather have four 4oz glasses of different beers rather than one monolithic pint, even if I have to spend an extra buck or two.

For a moment I thought this was some sort of hipster pub crawl.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »

I'd be open to sampling a different kind of Scotch, but I'm just not a hard liquor drinker. I did neglect to mention that some schnapps on ice - like blackberry schnapps - is not bad. I can drink that.

Speaking of honey, I'd be open to trying something like mead, which I never have done. Probably will when chance presents itself. Honey on its own is usually too sweet and pungent for me, but I'd be curious as to the taste of mead.

No, I'd say sherry is probably as I high as I go with alcohol content for regular consumption - the dry stuff, which is what I keep in the refrigerator in lieu of white wine, comes in at about 17% or 18% or so. Some of it has a nutty kind of flavor that I like.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »

Bourbon, but I generally just drink beer. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

Scotch (Laphroig, Caol Ila and Lagavulin among my favorites--LOVE the peaty stuff), and Bourbon (Evan Williams Single Barrel and Four Roses Single Barrel are my top choices).

Oh, and a shout out for Kraken Rum. Smiley
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 09:07:21 AM by Benwah [why on Earth do I post something] Courseyay »

Well, surprisingly, I didn't mind that mix of beer and 'whiskey malt' (not sure whether it means whiskey as a whole or not) I tried yesterday. Gives a kind of 'ambered' flavor to a random beer that wasn't unpleasant.

Heineken producing this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »

Speaking of honey, I'd be open to trying something like mead, which I never have done. Probably will when chance presents itself. Honey on its own is usually too sweet and pungent for me, but I'd be curious as to the taste of mead.

Mead is nasty. There's a reason why it was replaced by spirits.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 11:49:20 AM »

Has anyone here tried the real absinthe?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »

The drinking age in this country may be 21, but I've honestly never heard of anyone waiting until then to drink.

Now you have.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 02:23:47 PM »

Has anyone here tried the real absinthe?

It's not bad or anything, but it is kinda overhyped. The whole "thujone = psychedelic forbidden fruit!!1!" thing is a romantic myth- there's basically no discernible difference between absinthe and the pastis that replaced it, and the main destructive compound in ye olde absinthe was just plain old ethanol.  It's super sweet, super boozy, and super licorice/anise flavored.  There can be more subtleties to it if you're really obsessed, but not that many.

I do like it in a Sazerac and some other similar cocktails, but it can easily overpower other flavors so a light touch is necessary. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

Tender: Yeah, Irish Cream is delicious on ice and I've heard of people putting it in coffee, although I like coffee plain. Tastes like a caramel milkshake with alcohol. Yum.

Mead is nasty. There's a reason why it was replaced by spirits.

Kind of figured as much. Fermented honey and water. So you try it just to see how bad it is, ha.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »

Tender: Yeah, Irish Cream is delicious on ice and I've heard of people putting it in coffee, although I like coffee plain. Tastes like a caramel milkshake with alcohol. Yum.

I agree, it is very good, especially in a White Russian. Technically, it isn't liquor though; it's liqueur. (I can't say I've ever had it in coffee, but it does sound pretty good.)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »

Ron Pampero de Venezuela. 

Best rum there is.  Not white.  Not spiced.  It's golden, and very slightly more viscous than most rums.  Dry, yet fruity.  Somewhat sweet, of course, as it's rum, but not too sweet.  Very good neat.  Probably good on ice as well, or with juice, but I like it neat. 

I'm not a big fan of rum, because it's usually too sweet for my taste. But that's a fine drink (and it's good on ice). 
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »

The drinking age in this country may be 21, but I've honestly never heard of anyone waiting until then to drink.

Now you have.

Fitzy drinking? Good joke.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »

Now you have.

What are you talking about? Adam isn't ever going to drink.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »

Whiskey to mix, tequila to shoot
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »

I voted Rum in the poll, but I've increasingly moved over to gin.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2014, 10:12:18 PM »

I voted Rum in the poll, but I've increasingly moved over to gin.

I can't stand gin.  I've tried it a few times, and it's just not for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies