Your favorite hard liquor (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:33:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Your favorite hard liquor (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
American whiskey

Brandy

Canadian whiskey

Gin

Irish whiskey

Rum

Scotch

Tequila

Vodka

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Your favorite hard liquor  (Read 5512 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »

Bourbon for everyday drinking, scotch for when it's raining or when I'm sitting in a comfy chair beside a fire or both. 

I'm not super picky about liquor, I have Johnny Walker, Buffalo trace and Bulliet Bourbon at home.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »

In my very brief experiences with alcohol, I've enjoyed Captain and Coke. White rum by itself is pretty gross, though I've handled it pretty well. Raspberry vodka is cool too. Voted rum.

Captain Morgan isn't white rum, is it?  Captain Morgan is a spiced rum, white rum is like cachaca or the stuff you put in crazy fruity drinks.  And, yeah, white rum is disgusting and tastes like alcoholic melted cotton candy.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

In my very brief experiences with alcohol, I've enjoyed Captain and Coke. White rum by itself is pretty gross, though I've handled it pretty well. Raspberry vodka is cool too. Voted rum.

Captain Morgan isn't white rum, is it?  Captain Morgan is a spiced rum, white rum is like cachaca or the stuff you put in crazy fruity drinks.  And, yeah, white rum is disgusting and tastes like alcoholic melted cotton candy.

It's not, I should have specified I've tried two different brands. Forget what the white rum brand was. But yeah, it mostly tasted like metallic cough syrup.

In any case, do yourself a favor, train yourself to drink liquor straight or with a few ice cubes. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »

I'm a thoroughgoing wine drinker, so hard liquor is tough because all I taste is alcohol, fire (or in gin's case, polish), etc. Having said that, it would probably be vodka. There are things that can be done with vodka (White Russians are like spiked milkshakes Smiley) to make it palatable and now they have reduced alcohol (reduced calorie) flavored vodkas, and they are good to sip on ice.

I've tried all the stuff on that list except Tequila, and I don't really like any of it. Jameson Irish whiskey wasn't bad, though. But I wouldn't sit and drink it or mix it.

Scotch and gin I simply cannot do. Too nasty. I have a relative who loves gin, and I had her make me a gin martini one time at a holiday gathering. I took one sip of it and gave it back to her. She drank it.

Worth noting that there's a pretty wide variety in flavors of scotch; some stuff is really peaty/smoky (Johnnie Walker, or the Islay single malts), whereas stuff from, say, Speyside is going to be a lot more delicate, with more of a honey flavor rather than a smoke flavor.  So it's worth trying a couple different varieties before writing the whole category off.  I mean, I like the smoky stuff but it's kind of an acquired taste.

Though I guess if hard liquor isn't your thing in general then maybe not.  De gustibus non est disputandum, etc.

To that end, it's kind of fun to get a whiskey flight to taste the subtle differences.  There's a really cool West Village bar that does a bunch of scotch whiskey flights.  I think it's called Highlands.  One of my favorite NYC whiskey destinations along with Beast of Bourbon in my hood.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies