NE2: The Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:18:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: The Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE2: The Taking Things Into Our Own Hands Act (Law)  (Read 2187 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
« edited: July 21, 2014, 10:03:25 PM by Speaker SWE »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Dr. Cynic

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 12:00 PM on Saturday July 19, unless modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »

This is the same bill I proposed earlier, but now with the time limit rider that Dallasfan wanted on it. I decided it was better to give it a shot rather than not attempt it at all.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »

Grin

Glad you came around.

Anywho, I'm bearish but there isn't any harm in passing this as a trial program. Cynic seems like a natural pick for the job so he could perhaps set a 'model' for future Agency heads.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

Grin

Glad you came around.

Anywho, I'm bearish but there isn't any harm in passing this as a trial program. Cynic seems like a natural pick for the job so he could perhaps set a 'model' for future Agency heads.

You just happened to have caught me at a period when I was feeling extremely irritable on other things, so I had taken it out on the Assembly over the bill.

Like I said, I want to see this done and if a trial period is deemed necessary for it, then so be it. That said, if it works out, the next time I bring it up, it will be permanent Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:36:09 PM »

I will oppose this legislation. Game Moderator and regional narration/storyline should be controlled solely at the federal level to avoid conflicts. The game engine team is already broken, this bill will only serve to make things worse.

However, I would support a thread for a Northeast "news outlet" of some sort. We don't need to do this by legislative decree.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

I will oppose this legislation. Game Moderator and regional narration/storyline should be controlled solely at the federal level to avoid conflicts. The game engine team is already broken, this bill will only serve to make things worse.

However, I would support a thread for a Northeast "news outlet" of some sort. We don't need to do this by legislative decree.

Uh, sir... doesn't Section 2 Clause 2 solve that already? ^^
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »

Section 2 Clause 2 is pointless because it's inherent. No matter if the Northeast passes it or not, its still true. Its not as if we're legislating that. The game engine should be done at the federal level, the regions should have no part in legislating it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »

Section 2 Clause 2 is pointless because it's inherent. No matter if the Northeast passes it or not, its still true. Its not as if we're legislating that. The game engine should be done at the federal level, the regions should have no part in legislating it.

Why not?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »

If we have no regional engines, not even operating under the eye of the GM, then what would be the point of having regions at all? Every state has a statewide newspaper that deals with only issues for say New York or Washington.

Why would it hurt to get something done on a regional level?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:38 PM »

I'm with Dallasfan on this one. I see nothing wrong with having this as a trial program, and it could infuse some activity into the region.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »

On top of that, if there was interest in this -- people would be doing it. A legislative decree for this is pointless. The only way to get increased activity is to do extremely controversial things (ie legalize bestiality) or recruit more people to the regions.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »

On top of that, if there was interest in this -- people would be doing it. A legislative decree for this is pointless. The only way to get increased activity is to do extremely controversial things (ie legalize bestiality) or recruit more people to the regions.

No one does it because up to this point, we've left it to the GM. With the GM having a full plate on federal issues, how can one expect them to go into regional news as well? If this doesn't work, then fine, the legislation expires. I don't see why you are so opposed to this.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 12:55:18 PM »

Because we don't need legislation to do it. Talleyrand (or anyone) can simply ask someone. This legislation is a sideshow.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »

Because we don't need legislation to do it. Talleyrand (or anyone) can simply ask someone. This legislation is a sideshow.

But they haven't. I'd like to see something done and this sets up perimeters for operation.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »

Grin

Glad you came around.

You just happened to have caught me at a period when I was feeling extremely irritable on other things, so I had taken it out on the Assembly over the bill.

Like I said, I want to see this done and if a trial period is deemed necessary for it, then so be it. That said, if it works out, the next time I bring it up, it will be permanent Tongue

Seems fair enough.

Since there are some skeptics (Sirnick and myself to a lesser extent) would you perhaps be willing to unveil a demo post as to what you'd expect out of this?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »

No one does it because up to this point, we've left it to the GM. With the GM having a full plate on federal issues, how can one expect them to go into regional news as well? If this doesn't work, then fine, the legislation expires. I don't see why you are so opposed to this.

I've already gone in to regional news...
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »

I think Section 2 Clause 2 does some good by clarifying that. Yeah, it's supposed to be obvious, but clarifying never does any harm ^^ Besides, this may do some good by adding to the info some data that the GM could omit.

I'm with Dallasfan on this one. I see nothing wrong with having this as a trial program, and it could infuse some activity into the region.

I stand with my two governors, then Curly
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »

I'll second Napoleon and point out how ya'll are now ignoring his regional news updates. I think this law would ultimately be unconstitutional (conflicts w/ the federal law). We cannot create a subordinate to the GM,  or someone with any sort of GM like abilities. This is not a power given to the regions.

Like I said, if someone wants to create a newspaper - just ask them.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 12:16:06 PM »

If they think it's unconstitutional, let them take it to the court then.

As far as an article, ordinarily, I would write one, but at the moment, I'm on my phone and that's more effort than my fat thumb can go through right now Tongue .... However it could go something along the lines of "contention in the Assembly as Governor and legislature at loggerheads"... And then you'd get your story. Or, say a homeless vet is attacked by a street gang... Something like that, just so we can have specific issues to address.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 01:26:34 PM »

The debate period is now over. We will now proceed to a vote on this bill, as written:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote will last for 48 hours or until all Representatives have voted.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »

Nay
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »

Aye
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »

AYE

(localization adds more personality to the game, in my opinion.)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 01:43:44 PM »

The voting period is now over. By a vote of 3-1-1, this bill goes to the governor for his signature or veto.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies