The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Author Topic: The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread  (Read 66808 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2014, 08:24:23 PM »

A country that is forcefully demilitarized is not a sovereign country. If you only support Palestinian statehood if said Palestinian state isn't allowed to have an army, then you don't actually support Palestinian statehood.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #326 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »

The flip side of that question is, when a militarized Palestinian state with a Hamas-led government fires the first rocket that kills an Israeli civilian, and Israel considers it an act of war from a neighboring state and sends in the troops, what will people say?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #327 on: August 04, 2014, 09:05:51 PM »

The flip side of that question is, when a militarized Palestinian state with a Hamas-led government fires the first rocket that kills an Israeli civilian, and Israel considers it an act of war from a neighboring state and sends in the troops, what will people say?

I would say more power to them. But I'd say the more likely scenario would be Israel invading Palestine based on some trumped up accusation that some Jewish settlers who wound up on the wrong side of the border had some rocks thrown at them and that Israel had a duty to "protect the Jewish residents of Palestine" in the same manner that Russia had its duty to "protect the ethnic Russians of Ukraine."

I don't know why Israel would be so bothered by a militarized Palestine when they're already surrounded by several militarized countries that have attacked them in the past and didn't have any trouble repelling them. A Palestinian military that is an organ of the state is far less likely to do something as inflammatory as attack Israel than a non-state militia like Hamas is. And if Israel doesn't allow Palestine to have a full-fledged military, Hamas is going to fill that void just as it does now. And the Palestinian government will have no more ability to control the actions of those militias than they do now.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #328 on: August 04, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm relatively pro-Israel (by the standards of this site, at least; not really by USA standards) and Netanyahu's demand for a "demilitarized state" seems to me disingenuous and counterproductive for the reasons stated above.

That being said, I'd be fine with something like a UN-enforced buffer, say three miles on each side of the Green Line, where neither Israeli nor Palestinian armies can set foot.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #329 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »

I would say more power to them. But I'd say the more likely scenario would be Israel invading Palestine based on some trumped up accusation that some Jewish settlers who wound up on the wrong side of the border had some rocks thrown at them and that Israel had a duty to "protect the Jewish residents of Palestine" in the same manner that Russia had its duty to "protect the ethnic Russians of Ukraine."

I don't know why Israel would be so bothered by a militarized Palestine when they're already surrounded by several militarized countries that have attacked them in the past and didn't have any trouble repelling them. A Palestinian military that is an organ of the state is far less likely to do something as inflammatory as attack Israel than a non-state militia like Hamas is. And if Israel doesn't allow Palestine to have a full-fledged military, Hamas is going to fill that void just as it does now. And the Palestinian government will have no more ability to control the actions of those militias than they do now.

I can't imagine that any settlers would be left behind. If that goes down, they'll have to be uprooted and it'll be Gush Katif times 100.

I think the bigger concern is yet another militarized state on Israel's far-smaller borders. Essentially resetting the status quo back to the high-risk days. I understand why the current status quo is untenable, but from the stories my mother told me I can also understand the fear.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

So because of that hypothetical, only one of the two proposed states should be allowed to have the ability to defend itself?

The point is moot anyway. It's all but certain that Israel will annex Judea and Samaria and either expel or exterminate the excess undesirables. Gaza will stay how it is for a while longer--Hamas is a fantastic propaganda tool for the Israelis.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:08 PM »

So because of that hypothetical, only one of the two proposed states should be allowed to have the ability to defend itself?

The point is moot anyway. It's all but certain that Israel will annex Judea and Samaria and either expel or exterminate the excess undesirables. Gaza will stay how it is for a while longer--Hamas is a fantastic propaganda tool for the Israelis.

The ongoing fever dream of impending Israeli genocide continues. It'll continue until people decide that it's time to do something about those pesky Israelis before they commit that genocide that never seems to come.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »

The ongoing fever dream of impending Israeli genocide continues. It'll continue until people decide that it's time to do something about those pesky Israelis before they commit that genocide that never seems to come.

Israeli leaders have pretty much rejected all pretenses of supporting even a two-state solution at this point. I'm right, just wait for it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2014, 11:33:57 PM »

Israeli leaders have pretty much rejected all pretenses of supporting even a two-state solution at this point. I'm right, just wait for it.

It's basically shouting fire into a crowded theater, except it's really more shouting "That guy's going to start a fire! Get him!"
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »

It's basically shouting fire into a crowded theater, except it's really more shouting "That guy's going to start a fire! Get him!"

What's wrong with that? Someone in the Israeli government right now has to face the hangman.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #335 on: August 05, 2014, 03:20:03 AM »

To discuss who's right and who's wrong in the Middle East and whose sides' actions are justified and whose are not ist utterly pointless because they are all wrong.

It's like debating whether rape or murder is "less wrong". Obviously, rape is less wrong, but what value does such a conclusion possess in the first place?
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #336 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »

He just said that any Palestinian state would have to be demilitarized. He's always said that.

He said “I think the Israeli people understand now what I always say: that there cannot be a situation, under any agreement, in which we relinquish security control of the territory west of the River Jordan” and later  said that "at present we have a problem with the territory called Gaza,” noting that the West Bank is 20 times the size of Gaza, and vowed that he was not prepared “to create another 20 Gazas” in the West Bank.

He's just saying that there cannot be a situation in which the IDF withdraws the West Bank. As usual, Hamas is the alibi to continue the occupation in the territories under Abbas' 'authority' while settlements expand gradually. Status quo. No more and no less.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 09:18:49 AM by Sbane »

What need is there for a genocide if a continued status quo is enough to achieve your goals? The ghettoization process of the Palestinians will continue and so will the continued expansion of the settlements. Palestinians will be kept in their ghettos and will only be allowed to move around if the purpose of such move is to serve an Israeli. In other words, the status quo but on a grander scale.

And for those who think this situation is untenable, apartheid continued for a long, long time, didn't it? And what was the reason why western countries supported it for such a long time? That's right, terrorism. It's unfair to the Palestinians to be held to a higher standard than Israel, but they need their own Mandela.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »

To discuss who's right and who's wrong in the Middle East and whose sides' actions are justified and whose are not ist utterly pointless because they are all wrong.

It's like debating whether rape or murder is "less wrong". Obviously, rape is less wrong, but what value does such a conclusion possess in the first place?

Well said. You don't get a situation like this without both sides being at fault to some degree. While one can understand the Palestinians frustrations(and the Israelis aren't shy about using force when they get inconvenienced), they should also be smart enough to understand that suicide bombs and missiles accomplish nothing. I don't understand how they haven't learned that lesson till now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 09:57:38 AM by Simfan34 »

What's wrong with that? Someone in the Israeli government right now has to face the hangman.

Throw the Jew down the well.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »

Japan is not a sovereign nation?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2014, 09:59:45 AM »

Japan is not really demilitarized.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »

JSDF may not be called an army, but I doubt we could find 10 or even 5 militaries in the world which could beat it. So it's an army in all but name.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

They had plenty of trouble in 1973. If you look at their neighbours, they have peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan, Lebanon doesn't rate as a military and Syria is in the midst of a civil war.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »

They had plenty of trouble in 1973. If you look at their neighbours, they have peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan, Lebanon doesn't rate as a military and Syria is in the midst of a civil war.

Yes and the Syrian border have always been the one peaceful border Israel had.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #345 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »

Can't tell if sarcasm or....
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #346 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »

Yes and the Syrian border have always been the one peaceful border Israel had.

Not in the 1980s it wasn't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #347 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »

If anything a proper and regularised Palestinian military would be in Israel's interests for several very obvious reasons.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »

If anything a proper and regularised Palestinian military would be in Israel's interests for several very obvious reasons.

Let's face it, we're not getting a long-term solution to this problem with the current Israeli leader; remember his brother was killed by Palestinians at Entebbe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »

He is very keen to be as much of a Big Damn Hero as his late brother, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies