The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:27:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Author Topic: The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread  (Read 66501 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

And here we have a Palestinian girl whose home was demolished by Israel trying to retrieve her books from inside. Oh well, she's clearly a terrorist and those books are probably copies of the Koran and Mein Kampf. There was no other option.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #301 on: August 03, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »

Your trolling is low-grade. What's wrong with a Koran?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #302 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »

Your trolling is low-grade. What's wrong with a Koran?

It's not a Tanakh.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:08 AM »

I think there's a habit of judging Israel's actions by the standards of a western democracy, while we measure Hamas by the standards of Islamic extremists.

By the standards of a western democracy, Israel's current actions are horrible and disgusting. As far as Islamic extremists go, there are much worse groups than Hamas though (ISIS, Taliban, al-Qaeda).

That shouldn't blur the fact that at the end of the day Israel is still a western democracy and Hamas are still Islamic extremists. However, we must able to call Israel out on their bullsh**t, without letting Hamas off the hook in the same instance.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2014, 03:59:48 AM »

Israeli politics has really been a cesspool since a right-winger assassinated the last decent prime minister.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

By the standards of a western democracy, Israel's current actions are horrible and disgusting.
I totally don't understand how this is just a "known" thing.  How do you think a European country would act in the same situation?  Do you guys REALLY think Germany would send an angry letter if missiles were launched at their civilians every few days (and that's during the "cold" part of the conflict)?  Or if there were tunnels built (that again cost many millions and use child slave labor to construct where hundreds have died) for the sole purpose of kidnapping/murdering your civilians?  What action(s) have Western democracies done to make people think they wouldn't take action in such a scenario.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #306 on: August 04, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »

By the standards of a western democracy, Israel's current actions are horrible and disgusting.
I totally don't understand how this is just a "known" thing.  How do you think a European country would act in the same situation?  Do you guys REALLY think Germany would send an angry letter if missiles were launched at their civilians every few days (and that's during the "cold" part of the conflict)?  Or if there were tunnels built (that again cost many millions and use child slave labor to construct where hundreds have died) for the sole purpose of kidnapping/murdering your civilians?  What action(s) have Western democracies done to make people think they wouldn't take action in such a scenario.

Indeed, we already have an example of what happens when a European country gets ballistic missiles targeted at its cities... it's called the Second World War.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #307 on: August 04, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »

Netanyahu:
1. I will never let a two-state solution happen
2. I will never let Israel become a binational state
3. I will never give up any land west of the Jordan River

http://www.timesofisrael.com/netanyahu-finally-speaks-his-mind/
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #308 on: August 04, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2014, 01:11:17 PM by Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do »

I totally don't understand how this is just a "known" thing.  How do you think a European country would act in the same situation?  Do you guys REALLY think Germany would send an angry letter if missiles were launched at their civilians every few days (and that's during the "cold" part of the conflict)?  Or if there were tunnels built (that again cost many millions and use child slave labor to construct where hundreds have died) for the sole purpose of kidnapping/murdering your civilians?  What action(s) have Western democracies done to make people think they wouldn't take action in such a scenario.

I don't deny that a European country could react in a similarly disgusting manner. It's probably more likely than not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #309 on: August 04, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »

Then maybe by the standards of a western democracy, Israel's current actions are not horrible and disgusting, maybe they are normal?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #310 on: August 04, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »

Perhaps we should stop assuming that "western democracy" is inherently good, then?
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »

Israelis should do what European powers did, and stop occupying territory. That is not to condone terrorism against French Algerians or Israeli civilians. I'm just saying there is a precedence for taking the high road and leaving, rather than perpetually fighting to hold onto occupied territory.

I don't deny that a European country could react in a similarly disgusting manner. It's probably more likely than not.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

Why would someone be firing missiles at Germany?
swl
France

« Reply #313 on: August 04, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »

I totally don't understand how this is just a "known" thing.  How do you think a European country would act in the same situation?
Leave the colonies, like the UK, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain or Portugal did after 1945?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #314 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »

I agree that the settlements should be stopped and in many places, rolled back, but that's not why Hamas is currently shooting rockets.
swl
France

« Reply #315 on: August 04, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

So what is all this conflict about if not two peoples fighting for the same land?
swl
France

« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »

And here we have a Palestinian girl whose home was demolished by Israel trying to retrieve her books from inside. Oh well, she's clearly a terrorist and those books are probably copies of the Koran and Mein Kampf. There was no other option.

And meanwhile, this is what Israel calls a terror attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi0xYfiTtM#t=143

http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Tractor-hits-bus-injuring-2-in-suspected-terror-attack-in-Jerusalem-369993
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #317 on: August 04, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »

So what is all this conflict about if not two peoples fighting for the same land?

It is. It's not about the settlements, because Hamas doesn't acknowledge any of Israel as legitimate. They have never offered to agree to a two-state solution. Nothing but the Palestinian flag flying over a Jew-free Tel Aviv is acceptable to them.
swl
France

« Reply #318 on: August 04, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »

They have never offered to agree to a two-state solution. Nothing but the Palestinian flag flying over a Jew-free Tel Aviv is acceptable to them.
Have they even been formally asked about it? And even if they reject the idea, it is only words while Israel's acts during the last decades are proving that they do not agree with a two-states solution either.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #319 on: August 04, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »

They have never offered to agree to a two-state solution. Nothing but the Palestinian flag flying over a Jew-free Tel Aviv is acceptable to them.
Have they even been formally asked about it?
Of course they have.  A million times.  Sometimes one of them will even say it's possible before quickly being corrected by a higher up.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's sad that you know so much about Israel's actions this past decade but don't know if Hamas has been asked about a 2 state solution.  Not surprising, but certainly sad.
swl
France

« Reply #320 on: August 04, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2014, 04:59:23 PM by swl »

Prove it. I am curious to know when and where the discussions took place. I thought Hamas was a terrorist organization no one wants to talk with?

It's sad that you know so much about Israel's actions this past decade but don't know if Hamas has been asked about a 2 state solution.  Not surprising, but certainly sad.
I meant decades, in plural.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: August 04, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »

Hamas being wrong doesn't mean than Israel is right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #322 on: August 04, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »

Prove it. I am curious to know when and where the discussions took place. I thought Hamas was a terrorist organization no one wants to talk with?
google search results
random NY Times link from 2011
Notice that part at the end?  Even they admit (with the silence) that the violence will continue even if Israel gives into their unreasonable demands.
I meant decades, in plural.
[/quote]My apologies for misreading, makes you look even worse though.  You know about decades worth of Israeli actions, but don't know that Hamas talks to other people or that the 2 state solution has been brought up to them before.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #323 on: August 04, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »

Netanyahu:

Netanyahu didn't say any of those things. That article is massively dumb.

He just said that any Palestinian state would have to be demilitarized. He's always said that.

The thing about a binational state is right though.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #324 on: August 04, 2014, 08:04:41 PM »

Netanyahu:

Netanyahu didn't say any of those things. That article is massively dumb.

He just said that any Palestinian state would have to be demilitarized. He's always said that.

Well, that's totally unacceptable. Would any sane country would accept being demilitatized while it has an hostile country on its border?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies