The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:13:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread  (Read 66792 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
« edited: July 26, 2014, 09:34:52 PM by Sbane »

This whole tragedy is so predictable. Zionists continuing their colonization of Palestine and accelerating it through the building of settlements leading to more desperation on the Palestinian side. Hapless leaders in Palestine not being able to even come into an agreement amongst themselves, let alone being able to negotiate with Israel. Stupid terrorists taking the opportunity to launch rockets they know will not reach their targets due to the Iron Dome. Israel, despite possessing the Iron dome, invades Gaza knowing it will cause massive civilian casualties, despite claiming they care about civilian casualties. And of course self righteous Americans pretending like Israel is in the right even though they would violently destroy anyone who tries to take their land. I really want Native Americans to go back and just randomly take over houses built on top of their ancestral land. I hope it happens to dead0man just to see his reaction. I am sure he will be very understanding.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2014, 07:26:43 PM by Sbane »

This whole tragedy is so predictable. Zionists continuing their colonization of Palestine and accelerating it through the building of settlements leading to more desperation on the Palestinian side. Hapless leaders in Palestine not being able to even come into an agreement amongst themselves, let alone being able to negotiate with Israel. Stupid terrorists taking the opportunity to launch rockets they know will not reach their targets due to the Iron Dome. Israel, despite possessing the Iron dome, invades Gaza knowing it will cause massive civilian casualties, despite claiming they care about civilian casualties. And of course self righteous Americans pretending like Israel is in the right even though they would violently destroy anyone who tries to take their land. I really want Native Americans to go back and just randomly take over houses built on top of their ancestral land. I hope it happens to dead0man just to see his reaction. I am sure he will be very understanding.

Who needs hypothetical hypocrisy when you can find some Americans complaining about Israeli colonialism while, you know, living in and loving America?

I don't think the situation in Israel and America can be compared. Maybe if we are talking about the America that was actively enslaving blacks and removing Natives from their land, sure. But in 2014, Israel is the one actively being a colonial power.

And my point was more about understanding why Palestinians act the way they do, and the inability of many in America to understand it . Obviously it would be preferable if they acted like Gandhi, Mandela or Dr. King, but it should be understandable if they don't. Not everyone can live up to those standards, and for whatever reason, the Middle East isn't the sort if place that is very open to non-violent resistance.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »

I hope it happens to dead0man just to see his reaction. I am sure he will be very understanding.
I have no idea how'd react, but I can guarantee you one funking thing, my grand kids wouldn't still be "refugees" firing rockets across the Missouri River 70 years later.

So what do you think the Palestinians should do? I think the only obvious solution to go is the non-violent resistance route and shame Israel into giving them their own autonomous land, but can you not understand why Palestinians might be just a tad bit pissed off by this situation that was imposed on them? Germany and others in Europe orchestrate the holocaust. Then they fukc over the Palestinians to make themselves feel better. Yay colonialism!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »

Because I'm sure you'd willingly surrender your property and assets to the Native Americans who used to live there.

Hell no I wouldn't. I am also not one of those who think Palestinians are in the wrong for trying to fight for the land they have lived on for generations, no matter who may have lived there before them.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:58:57 PM »

but can you not understand why Palestinians might be just a tad bit pissed off by this situation that was imposed on them? Germany and others in Europe orchestrate the holocaust. Then they eff over the Palestinians to make themselves feel better. Yay colonialism!
I get, I suppose, why they went all "push 'em into da sea" in 1947, but 3 generations later and nothing to show for it (and in fact, a lot of lost...ahem...ground), well sir, that's insane.

More like typical human behavior.
Is it though?  A lot of refugees were created around the same time, yet few of them have grandchildren fighting the same fight grandpa did.  India/Pakistan is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head....and I'm pretty sure India wouldn't sit back and let rockets be fired at their civilians either.

I don't have so much a problem with what Israel is currently doing, but rather with their overall approach to the situation. Hamas firing rockets into Israel is just silliness and to be expected from them. Those people just cannot envision any other option to protest their oppression than with violence.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »

I think Kashmiris should be given a referendum with 3 option; Pakistan, India or independence. Administering free and fair elections would be a challenge though and the referendum should require a majority to pass, meaning the chance of it failing to do anything would be high. I also don't see such a referendum occurring. The best case scenario is a semi-autonomous state of Kashmir, which it sort of already is, except for the soldiers....In any case, I am sure Pakistan would again invade an independent Kashmir, sending us back to square one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »

But what does this have to do with Israel?!

Nothing at all. Let's get back to the issue at hand.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »

One can generally predict a tone of an article on this just by someone's name...
RACIST!
If someone said this about a Jewish writer.....

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 09:18:49 AM by Sbane »

The flip side of that question is, when a militarized Palestinian state with a Hamas-led government fires the first rocket that kills an Israeli civilian, and Israel considers it an act of war from a neighboring state and sends in the troops, what will people say?

So because of that hypothetical, only one of the two proposed states should be allowed to have the ability to defend itself?

The point is moot anyway. It's all but certain that Israel will annex Judea and Samaria and either expel or exterminate the excess undesirables. Gaza will stay how it is for a while longer--Hamas is a fantastic propaganda tool for the Israelis.

The ongoing fever dream of impending Israeli genocide continues. It'll continue until people decide that it's time to do something about those pesky Israelis before they commit that genocide that never seems to come.

What need is there for a genocide if a continued status quo is enough to achieve your goals? The ghettoization process of the Palestinians will continue and so will the continued expansion of the settlements. Palestinians will be kept in their ghettos and will only be allowed to move around if the purpose of such move is to serve an Israeli. In other words, the status quo but on a grander scale.

And for those who think this situation is untenable, apartheid continued for a long, long time, didn't it? And what was the reason why western countries supported it for such a long time? That's right, terrorism. It's unfair to the Palestinians to be held to a higher standard than Israel, but they need their own Mandela.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »

To discuss who's right and who's wrong in the Middle East and whose sides' actions are justified and whose are not ist utterly pointless because they are all wrong.

It's like debating whether rape or murder is "less wrong". Obviously, rape is less wrong, but what value does such a conclusion possess in the first place?

Well said. You don't get a situation like this without both sides being at fault to some degree. While one can understand the Palestinians frustrations(and the Israelis aren't shy about using force when they get inconvenienced), they should also be smart enough to understand that suicide bombs and missiles accomplish nothing. I don't understand how they haven't learned that lesson till now.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »

25 years ago you'd be one of those idiots calling Mandela a terrorist.

By 1989, Umkhonto we Sizwe had committed a number of acts that could be legitimately described as terrorism, FWIW.

Isn't that justified though?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »

All this talk of a peace deal ignores the fact that the current government in Israel is not interested in a lasting peace.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

He ain't that bad, certainly better than some of the other posters in this thread.

Haha, you're the one getting destroyed, my friend. Maybe now you will finally start to understand the Palestinian perspective. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies