The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:21:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Present Israel-Palestine Conflict Thread  (Read 66600 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:26 PM »
« edited: July 16, 2014, 07:01:52 PM by traininthedistance »

2. Israel is bombing Gaza as to cripple Hamas' ability to bomb them. But why is Hamas bombing Israel, anyway? What exactly is Hamas trying to hit? Or is Hamas really just firing randomly? Because they've apparently been hitting themselves a lot, so you would think they have a goal if they're going to mount such a costly campaign.

I think the theory that the real target of Hamas' bombing is Egyptian public opinion, with an eye towards opening the Rafah crossing into Egypt and getting a chunk of cash to meet payroll, is a pretty compelling one.  Though I don't claim to be an expert, nor do I have any stomach to become one on this issue.

Please do not post that idiot's comics here. We're above that.

Big talk given your last sig. Tongue
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »

Israel's actions in the Gaza strip aren't surprising or shocking in the least. They have a clear cut casus belli and Hamas should be punished for its actions. That isn't why this particular conflict is so troubling: Netanyahu is using the threat of Hamas' tunnels as a justification for formally withdrawing his (misleading)  public support of a two state solution and this comes as a Naftali Bennet is pushing for a de facto annextion of the West Bank. Something is rotten in Israel.

I'm an "anti-Zionist" because I am concerned for Jews who have no interest in living in an Israel that treats them as gentile-loving traitors.  Israel legitimizes anti-semitism as a valid worldview every time it defends its settlements. Every time it displays ultra-jingoistic behavior by bombing Gaza hospitals, imprisoning those who work for NGOs and bullying the US, it makes the world a much darker place for Jews.

So you consider anti-semitism a valid and legitimate lens through which to look at the world?  Wow...

Anti-semitism is evil. If you're serious about combating it, it's of the utmost importance to consider what factors nurture anti-semitism. Israel's actions have unquestionably turned millions towards anti-semitic beliefs.

This clarification helps a lot.  You might want to choose your words a little more carefully next time, they could be very easily construed as excusing/justifying something that should never be excused or justified.

I'll also point out for the zillionth time that there is a big difference between "anti-Zionism" and "anti-actions of the current and recent Israeli government", and it seems like you might have been unfortunately conflating the two with your OP.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm relatively pro-Israel (by the standards of this site, at least; not really by USA standards) and Netanyahu's demand for a "demilitarized state" seems to me disingenuous and counterproductive for the reasons stated above.

That being said, I'd be fine with something like a UN-enforced buffer, say three miles on each side of the Green Line, where neither Israeli nor Palestinian armies can set foot.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »

Apparently blood libel– as in, the blood libel– is still a thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies