Who will win in Louisiana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:03:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win in Louisiana?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Mary Landrieu (D)

Bill Cassidy (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Who will win in Louisiana?  (Read 2785 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 08:38:31 PM »

Since the LA race will be heading to a runoff, a lot depends on how Senate composition looks on Wednesday morning.  It's a strong possibility that Louisiana is the 51st seat for Republicans (a 50-49 Republican edge being the case after Election Day, assuming no other runoffs) which, if that is the case, Landrieu will lose something like 45-55 in the runoff.

I hope she and Pryor do "pull a Thad Cochran" and somehow win their races, but it's a lot easier for moderate Republicans to build last minute Black support than it would be for moderate Democrats to create a last minute coalition including conservative Whites in 2014.  Nevertheless, I like the campaign Mary is running and I'm hoping we can somehow send her and Pryor back to the senate while still having a GOP majority.

If it goes to a runoff which determines control of the senate, the race moves to Likely Republican. I agree with you, in a perfect world Republicans take control of the senate while Landrieu and Pryor keep their seats.

What is you guys' fascination with Southern Democrats defeating a Republican challenger while both claiming to be Republicans?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

Since the LA race will be heading to a runoff, a lot depends on how Senate composition looks on Wednesday morning.  It's a strong possibility that Louisiana is the 51st seat for Republicans (a 50-49 Republican edge being the case after Election Day, assuming no other runoffs) which, if that is the case, Landrieu will lose something like 45-55 in the runoff.

I hope she and Pryor do "pull a Thad Cochran" and somehow win their races, but it's a lot easier for moderate Republicans to build last minute Black support than it would be for moderate Democrats to create a last minute coalition including conservative Whites in 2014.  Nevertheless, I like the campaign Mary is running and I'm hoping we can somehow send her and Pryor back to the senate while still having a GOP majority.

If it goes to a runoff which determines control of the senate, the race moves to Likely Republican. I agree with you, in a perfect world Republicans take control of the senate while Landrieu and Pryor keep their seats.

What is you guys' fascination with Southern Democrats defeating a Republican challenger while both claiming to be Republicans?

I don't always support Blue Dogs over Republicans, but in this instance it simply boils down to the quality of the candidates involved.

The South needs good representation in the Senate, and Landrieu and Pryor have both represented their states very well there.

Landrieu has fought for Louisiana tooth-and-nail over her entire tenure and she's built up enough seniority (unlike Kay Hagan) to bring significant clout to her state's delegation.  Cassidy isn't necessarily that bad of a candidate, but he will be unable to provide for Louisiana like Mary has (especially if you consider that, if elected, he's likely going to be the Pelican State's senior senator in less than one year).  Having a strong Louisiana delegation headed by Landrieu is good for Mississippi, as both Cochran's and Landrieu's clout combine to elevate interests pertaining to the Gulf Coast's environment and economy.   

As for Arkansas, it really is a case of Tom Cotton being that bad of a candidate.  Anyone who voted against this year's Farm Bill should be voted out of Congress, but especially someone from a state like Arkansas with both a large agricultural sector and many food stamp recipients.  Pryor, while not as visible in his position as Landrieu, has done a good job for Arkansas and I'm hoping that constituents are able to recognize that before heading to the polls instead of just voting based on Tea Party talking points.
Landon1993
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »

So "Rockefeller" GOP, you are a moderate republican whom would vote for any Republican because they have an R in front of their name. Maybe you should change your name from Rockefeller GOP to something more appropriate.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »

So "Rockefeller" GOP, you are a moderate republican whom would vote for any Republican because they have an R in front of their name. Maybe you should change your name from Rockefeller GOP to something more appropriate.

No, I'm not.  In fact, in another thread in this section I said I'd vote for Andrew Cuomo over Rand Paul.  I'd vote for a LOT of Democrats over someone like Rick Santorum or Mike Huckabee.  My issue with this scenario is more about Southern politics, where I feel the main difference between the candidates is often economics based, as many Southern Democrats tend to be moderate to conservative on social issues to appease their electorates.  As someone who is fairly socially liberal and fairly fiscally conservative, I can't imagine many scenarios where I'd support a Southern Democrat (often socially moderate/conservative and fiscally moderate/populist) over a Southern Republican (often conservative on both, agreeing with me at least on the fiscal issues).  Your average old school Southern Democrat is almost my political opposite in many cases.

As for Del's response, fair enough.  That was a well reasoned post, and I can certainly see how your support would wind up that way from your local perspective.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »

With this new story about Landrieu's residency issue in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., she may be in more vulnerable this November.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/landrieu-claims-parents-home-as-her-own-raising-questions-of-louisiana-residency/2014/08/28/423d8552-2e08-11e4-9b98-848790384093_story.html
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies