Federal Judge Rules California Death Penalty Unconstitutional
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:49:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal Judge Rules California Death Penalty Unconstitutional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Federal Judge Rules California Death Penalty Unconstitutional  (Read 2379 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

Is America set to join the rest of the civilised world???

5 decades too late.

Didn't Breivik get about 20 years paid vacation in a comfortable and well furnished "cell"? Perhaps America is better off not joining this.

One can still retain the death penalty for exceptional cases or (unlike Norway) retain the option of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »

States without a death penalty have a lower murder rate.
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-states-without-death-penalty-have-had-consistently-lower-murder-rates
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:15 PM »

5 decades too late.

Didn't Breivik get about 20 years paid vacation in a comfortable and well furnished "cell"? Perhaps America is better off not joining this.

One can still retain the death penalty for exceptional cases or (unlike Norway) retain the option of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Can't even Norway basically extend the sentence as needed or wanted until it's effectively life without calling it life?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 04:00:18 AM »

5 decades too late.

Can't even Norway basically extend the sentence as needed or wanted until it's effectively life without calling it life?

Yes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 04:54:15 AM »

5 decades too late.

Yes

Somehow our resident American mob lynchers like to always leave that part out.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 05:12:28 AM »

So?  Would it not make sense that areas with higher murder rates would be more likely to support the use of capital punishment?  This sort of raw data really shows nothing.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »

5 decades too late.

Well yeah, I wasn't defending the American system, just the assertion that all of Europe is "oh so enlightened" on the issue. Of course, people that argue for abolition of the death penalty aren't all extreme cases such as Norway.

I'm not completely against the "rehabilitation" model, and I actually think it should be applied to a lot of American prisoners. The problem with a one size fits all approach is that you end up babying mass murderers, terrorists, and people who are pure evil and will never change. These kind of people deserve the current American justice system. Conversely, the American justice system's one size fits all approach ends up brutalizing young single moms who accidentally carry guns into a different state and people who smoke weed. A poll just released shows that even Massachusetts supports the death penalty for Tsarnaev 62-29. I'm of the opinion that the death penalty should certainly be kept around for cases such as him.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

5 decades too late.

Well yeah, I wasn't defending the American system, just the assertion that all of Europe is "oh so enlightened" on the issue. Of course, people that argue for abolition of the death penalty aren't all extreme cases such as Norway.

I'm not completely against the "rehabilitation" model, and I actually think it should be applied to a lot of American prisoners. The problem with a one size fits all approach is that you end up babying mass murderers, terrorists, and people who are pure evil and will never change. These kind of people deserve the current American justice system. Conversely, the American justice system's one size fits all approach ends up brutalizing young single moms who accidentally carry guns into a different state and people who smoke weed. A poll just released shows that even Massachusetts supports the death penalty for Tsarnaev 62-29. I'm of the opinion that the death penalty should certainly be kept around for cases such as him.

If one accepts that the "worst of the worst" deserve the current American justice system (a proposition that may be true in some cases), wouldn't it still be fair to say that far more non-serious criminals are subjected to wrath of the American system than mass murderers (and other "pure evil" criminals) get off relatively easy in Norway? (Which isn't exactly true either, seeing as Norway likely never will release Breivik, for example).

Of course, basing a justice system entirely on what people "deserve" is already a mistake. But that's a different debate.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

Cry
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »

It's really about time. The interesting thing is that there are delays in the first place because it's unfair and carried out haphazardly. So ruling that the whole thing is unconstitutional is wonderful. There's still a tough fight ahead, but this is a big step in the right direction.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »

5 decades too late.

If one accepts that the "worst of the worst" deserve the current American justice system (a proposition that may be true in some cases), wouldn't it still be fair to say that far more non-serious criminals are subjected to wrath of the American system than mass murderers (and other "pure evil" criminals) get off relatively easy in Norway? (Which isn't exactly true either, seeing as Norway likely never will release Breivik, for example).

Of course, basing a justice system entirely on what people "deserve" is already a mistake. But that's a different debate.

Yes, that would be fair to say. If I was absolutely forced to choose one or the other, it would probably be Norway's, but neither one is ideal.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »

Why does any state have the death penalty? 

Around the same time that SCOTUS handed down Furman v. Georgia that struck down all death penalty laws, the California Supreme Court also ruled the death penalty as categorically unconstitutional based on the California Constitution. In response, California voters in 1972 effectively overturned that decision through a constitutional amendment. In 1986, three Justices on the California Supreme Court lost their reconfirmation votes due to their opposition to the death penalty (allowing pro-death penalty Governor Deukmejian to appoint their successors). A repeal of California's death penalty narrowly failed in 2012 by a 48-52 margin.

I don't know if the death penalty can be repealed through the normal legislative process in California. I think a big reason as to why it isn't more strongly opposed is that it isn't used that often. California easily has the largest death row in the country, but actual executions have been quite rare. I'm of the opinion that support for the death penalty would fall if the state used it, particularly if it were to reach the levels of some of the Southern states (such as Texas, Oklahoma, or Virginia). In California, it seems to be almost an abstract issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies