How in the world is Begich holding on so far?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:12:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How in the world is Begich holding on so far?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How in the world is Begich holding on so far?  (Read 1321 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »

No matter what Nate Silver and his robotic fixation on numbers and not mood tells you, Alaska is a blood-red state. Ted Stevens, who had been in the Senate for 40 years at that point, only BARELY lost in 2008 because of a corruption trial and an overall titan sized Democrat year that would make even Levi scared. The question six years later is this: How is Mark Begich (or as Dick Morris insists on calling him, Begish), a Democrat (DINO, but a Democrat nonetheless) doing as well as he is poll wise in this state? I know Alaska polls are garbage, but even then, a Democrat should not be leading there under any circumstances.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:55 AM »

The New York Times had an article a few weeks ago about how strongly Begich has worked the Alaskan Native community over the last few years, and is now staffing up for the election.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

He's running the best campaign of any (atlas) blue state Democrat.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »

Begich is running a strong campaign, but considering how close the race was in 2008 in a favorable Democratic climate, I have my doubts that he has the ability to hold on in a more Republican year like this. Still, the polls in the state aren't worth much accuracy-wise, and without that information, it's hard to say who will win in this race. I think that Sullivan would have a slight edge if he ends up as the nominee, but Treadwell might not. This race is definitely a tossup, and one of the hardest ones to predict this year in my view. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:40:48 AM »

That's a shame considering how vital it is.
NHLiberal

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »

Because he's been a really good Senator?
illegaloperation

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2014, 01:49:43 PM by illegaloperation »

Oh, there's an array of reasons.

1. Alaska is a very elastic state. Retail politics is still gold and Begich has a winning personality.

2. Alaskans are dependent on the federal government and don't vilify it.

3. Alaskans care very much about local issues and on those issues Begich is rock solid.

4. Alaskans resent big money from the lower 49 (they hate the Koch brothers).

5. Alaska is socially liberal. God, gay marriages, religions, and abortion doesn't matter much.

6. Alaskans want seniority: they rarely throw out incumbents.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »

Ted Stevens barely lost because he was a popular moderate senator with an incumbency advantage, and the ethics probe did not find anything damning. Begich's opponent will not enjoy those same advantages.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »

Because he's been a really good Senator?
In your "Live-in-a-light-blue-state"
opinion
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

Ted Stevens barely lost because he was a popular moderate senator with an incumbency advantage, and the ethics probe did not find anything damning. Begich's opponent will not enjoy those same advantages.

Why did he lose with all that going for him? Sorry, it's my fault I can't interpret
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 02:33:05 PM »

...umm strong popular moderate democratic challenger +ethics probe+ democratic landslide year?
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »

...umm strong popular moderate democratic challenger +ethics probe+ democratic landslide year?

Those were the reasons I listed. But people through the whole state knew who "Beggish" was and approved of him over a man they had trusted for over 40 years? I'm genuinely, non-condescendingly curious.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »

Those were the reasons I listed. But people through the whole state knew who "Beggish" was and approved of him over a man they had trusted for over 40 years? I'm genuinely, non-condescendingly curious.

The ethics probe and GOP dissatisfaction was enough to put Begich over the edge. Palin may have been a factor working against Begich as well, driving up Republican turnout. Begich held wide-margins over Stevens before her selection and Obama was polling competitively in the state.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »

The case against Stevens looked more damning before the election than it turned out to be.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

He's running one of the better campaigns of the vulnerable incumbents. I always attributed his underperformance in 2008 to AK's tendency to be a pro-incumbent state.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »

I've actually met Begich a few times at fundraisers (obviously outside of Alaska Tongue ).  All I can say is that if you watch the man work a room, you'll understand why he's got the edge in his race.  He is one of the most talented retail politicians I've ever seen in action.  Begich has also run a number of excellent ads and been great about constituent service. 
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »

I've actually met Begich a few times at fundraisers (obviously outside of Alaska Tongue ).  All I can say is that if you watch the man work a room, you'll understand why he's got the edge in his race.  He is one of the most talented retail politicians I've ever seen in action.  Begich has also run a number of excellent ads and been great about constituent service. 

Wow, it's so neat that you've met him! Retail politics definitely works wonders, and if that is one of Begich's strengths, it would definitely explain why he is still keeping his Senate race competitive.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:31 PM »

I will not deny for one second that Begich is a talented man. Not having a degree , but still rising to this high a position after only 20 years in public service is impressive.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2014, 08:03:22 PM by OC »

Because as you see, anyone other than Frank Murkowski, gotton the good to go on reelection. Begich like Knowles have protected the oil interest of AK without gunning for environmentalist. And Keystone whether it is passed before or after the election, Alaskians believe in him
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »

He's a fairly well-liked, moderate incumbent in a small, elastic state, benefiting from a contested Republican primary.

Here's a pretty cool article about his outreach in remote parts of Alaska:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/us/past-roads-end-democrats-dig-for-native-votes.html
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »

No matter what Nate Silver and his robotic fixation on numbers and not mood tells you, Alaska is a blood-red state. Ted Stevens, who had been in the Senate for 40 years at that point, only BARELY lost in 2008 because of a corruption trial and an overall titan sized Democrat year that would make even Levi scared. The question six years later is this: How is Mark Begich (or as Dick Morris insists on calling him, Begish), a Democrat (DINO, but a Democrat nonetheless) doing as well as he is poll wise in this state? I know Alaska polls are garbage, but even then, a Democrat should not be leading there under any circumstances.

You're going to have to explain exactly what this has to do with that state's voters sending Republicans or Democrats to the Senate.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 06:25:19 PM »

You're going to have to explain exactly what this has to do with that state's voters sending Republicans or Democrats to the Senate.

With every other race, be it governor, senate, president, whatever, Republicans mostly win in Alaska. I find 2008 to be an extremely circumstantial fluke.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »

The New York Times had an article a few weeks ago about how strongly Begich has worked the Alaskan Native community over the last few years, and is now staffing up for the election.

This and the reasons illegal operation put in his post. I'd also add that Begich was a popular mayor in Anchorage and probably has a stronger base than most Democrats in that very politically swingy city.

That said, i'd like to see polls after the primary (and the ineviable post-primary bump for the eventual winner). Most non-Joe Miller Republicans will come home regadless of who they support in the primary, and I just don't see Miller winnning or runnning as an independent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies