How does the White Gay Cis Male vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  How does the White Gay Cis Male vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How does the White Gay Cis Male vote?  (Read 2201 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »

Obviously the stats we have are a little too crude to break it down into LGBT sub-demographics, but I think it's possible that they voted for McCain (though they almost certainly swung to Obama).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »

Whats a cis? And why would any of the gays vote republican? Even if they're white males.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »

I assume they vote for the homosexual party (the Democrats).
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »

Whats a cis? And why would any of the gays vote republican? Even if they're white males.

Not a trans person.

I have to agree with you, why would a gay voting bloc vote Republican?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »

Obama win around 75% of LGBT. Not a chance they went for McCain. Also consider that they're disproportionally in cities like San Francisco.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:55:17 PM »

FWIW per CNN's 2008 exit polls white males voted 57-41 McCain. Averaging that with an estimate 75-25 LGBT vote puts McCain's percentage at about 41%. OK not the best way to do sure, but consider that for gay white men to vote McCain, they'd have to be less than 9 points more Democratic than white men in general, and if the LGBT community in general is about 23 points more Democratic than the country at large in 2008...you can do the math.
Badlands17
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:22:46 AM »

I'd presume gays are underrepresented in religious groups that are hostile to homosexuality -- particularly evangelical Christians and Mormons, the most heavily Republican groups in the nation. Considering religion's relevance to their preferences, it's difficult to see how they vote R in large numbers even in the Midwest and South.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:07:32 AM »

69% Democrat
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »

Well, my logic was based on that Lesbians, Bisexuals, and Trans* people likely voted overwhelmingly D- something like 95% percent. If you take out minority gays, it's possible that leaves a fairly close demographic (in 2008- I suspect there was a big swing in 2012). Though I suppose they probably were something like 55% Obama, which is still astonishingly low for an LGBT demographic.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:06:41 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2014, 06:40:02 PM by memphis »

Are we including those in the closet? There seem to be a lot of Ted Haggart/ Lindsay Graham/Greg Davis types. If so, a GOP victory isn't at all unlikely.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »

The gender gap between gay men and lesbians probably isn't much more than it is in the general population. And you aren't getting 95% of the vote amongst any demographic except blacks. I mean come on, bisexuals are more Democratic than white gay males?
Reginald
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »

I'm kinda skeptical that even the trans vote is 95% D.  That's just an enormous margin, especially when you take into account people who are closeted/in denial/etc. You have to be right that white gay/bi men are the most Republican-friendly demographic here, but I think you're overestimating the discrepancy quite a bit.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »

The gender gap between gay men and lesbians probably isn't much more than it is in the general population.

If anything, it could be less, given that lesbians (and also minority gays) have less room to get more Democratic. Also, lesbians are less ostracized than gay men and less concentrated in liberal areas.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »

lesbians are less ostracized than gay men

[citation needed]
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »

I actually stand by my initial projection (it wasn't entirely in jest). I'll just say this: throughout all of my socializing locally, I've never met one Republican gay male - and I live in one of the most Republican regions in the country. Anecdotal, I know...but considering how often I discuss politics with those who want to and those who don't, I really think I'd have stumbled across one by now if the national numbers were anywhere close to majority-Republican. Based on some of the assertions I've seen above, something like two-thirds of gay males in my city would be Republican.

In the city, it's a different story. There are plenty of rich gay males who vote Republican - Atlanta is filled with them. I'd actually love to do a poll; I bet you'd find that gays in urban areas are more Republican (maybe even majority?) than gays in rural or suburban areas (due to wealth/less likelihood of experiencing overt discrimination from Republicans and the public at-large).

I'll also generalize a bit in saying that due to less cultural and social machismo, there's probably not anywhere near as big of a divide between male and female political persuasion in the LG community. Gay men are likely in the high 60s (D) and gay women in the high 70s.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »

I'm gay and I don't think I've met a gay Republican.  Maybe I have, but nothing comes to mind.  I suppose gay men don't necessarily fit into the whole gender gap assumption or some of the white voter assumption.  The whole dude bro attitude that produces Republican voting out of contempt for weak people doesn't really exist among gay men.  Gay men understand what it's like to be hated for being different and we're a persecuted group.  We often sympathize more with women than straight men when it comes to social and culture issues.  I also think being persecuted makes you more liberal in general.  Having that life experience makes you less hateful and more empathic towards other people.  That's really at odds with being a Republican.

This is the opposite of a citation to empirical data, but my impression is that it's very cultural dependent and it depends what you mean ostracized. 

In the more machismo based cultures, like African Americans and Mexicans I think being a gay man is a much bigger taboo.  You see a lot more open lesbians than open gay men among black people for sure. 

The other thing is that lesbians are probably less likely to be assaulted for being gay in general just because it's more socially acceptable to attack a man on the street for no reason.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »

This projection also seems to be greatly overestimating the number of transpeople. Even if the trans vote is 95% D it's still a very insignificant number of the LGBT vote in general.

And also I'd be willing to be a majority of white gay males live in cities where Obama won even the heterosexual white male vote both times.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 01:59:32 AM »

Obama both times, duh. Have you ever checked out how the Castro in SF votes?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2014, 02:17:19 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Here we go. San Francisco 8th supervisor district in 2008.
Prop 8 gets 8.8% of the vote, even worse than Berkeley.
Obama beats McCain 92.1%-6.2%.
The district is somewhere around 2/3rds non Hispanic whites.
Most LGBT are cis gays.
The district is probably still mostly hetero, and presumably heterosexuals were less likely to vote for Obama.
Pretty clear it's a landslide for Obama.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 02:29:36 AM »

There are plenty of Republican gay men. Some factors that come into play are whether they've been successful enough in their own careers to have a Mitt Romney attitude toward ”the 47%," if they're from or live in areas where Republicanism is dominant (like Dallas), if they're Ayn Rand fanboys. They didn't consider gay rights as a voting issue because they felt it didn't make a difference which party was in charge (easier to say when Obama opposed gay marriage) or they have enough money to feel insulated from any difficulties in being gay.

Many keep quiet about their politics because they don't want to have to deal with pointless arguments.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »

I know this answer is not politically correct but its my view.

Gay men who vote Republican are either:

A. Wealthy and care more about a tax cut than their civil rights
B. Come from a religious/conservative background and are still uncomfortable with the fact that their gay
C. Young/Millennials who hope to move the party to the left on gay marriage
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »

"Trans" and "cis" are just prefixes used for many very different words. They are not adjectives in and of themselves.

Anyway, obviously they voted Democratic.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »

The notion that most gay people live in a handful of trendy gay neighborhoods like SF's Castro or Chicago's Boystown is preposterous. Gay people are everywhere, including solidly Republican parts of the country.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »

The notion that most gay people live in a handful of trendy gay neighborhoods like SF's Castro or Chicago's Boystown is preposterous. Gay people are everywhere, including solidly Republican parts of the country.

Whatever, even taken over the whole country, white gay cis males went >60% Obama both times.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies