How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:43:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?
A good deal

Some

Almost none

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?  (Read 2053 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »

Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »

None at all, really, because there's a number of businesses that do or have done things I don't approve of, so it would be a waste of time for me to go over every one and decide whether I should give them my money or not.  I mean, I probably wouldn't shop at a Hobby Lobby, but there are (as far as I know) none where I live or will soon live and there are plenty of other stores I can go to for the same stuff.

Likewise, I have no reason to eat at Chik-fil-A when KFC already sells the best chicken.

But, if you're going to boycott one business on the basis that you disagree with the owner's politics, it would be hypocritical not to boycott other businesses for the same reason.  Since one person abstaining from buying isn't going to change, well, anything, what's the use obsessing over it just to feel like you're doing A Good Thing?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »

Exactly none.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »

Only once.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

Overall, somewhat. I've never shopped at Hobby Lobby, nor did I ever plan to. I really won't now though. I am trying to avoid Koch products.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »

Realistically none, but there are few alternatives in the first place. Costco for instance - people say good things about them, but the closest one is thirty odd miles north in a wealthy neighborhood. Imagine that..
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2014, 03:37:32 AM by Mechaman »

Overall, somewhat. I've never shopped at Hobby Lobby, nor did I ever plan to. I really won't now though. I am trying to avoid Koch products.

So pretty much avoid buying things I might wipe my ass with?

Yeah, that seems easy.

EDIT: Though that does seem easy, given that I"m not a huge fan of TP like Angel Soft.  Nothing is more irritating than weak TP.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »

Pretty heavily actually.  I refuse to buy Starbucks, because they wouldn't give coffee to the troops. I also refuse to shop at Wasems, because the guy who started the local one was a big supporter of the Pioneer fund. And finally, I wont buy from any store that gave money to the local YWCA. I know that might sound awful, but they kind of have a habit of running smear campaigns, throwing a fit when the city tried to set up a men's shelter etc. The director also went on live TV, and said we don't understand why Men feel attacked by us, but then said 4/5 serial killers are White Men. While they may actually be true, can you really wonder why someone might be offended? Let me put it this way, if I give a speech to the NAACP, and say that most of the highest crime areas have a high minority population, do you think they are going to react very well? No. I would get booed off the stage Romney style.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »

Pretty heavily actually.  I refuse to buy Starbucks, because they wouldn't give coffee to the troops. I also refuse to shop at Wasems, because the guy who started the local one was a big supporter of the Pioneer fund. And finally, I wont buy from any store that gave money to the local YWCA. I know that might sound awful, but they kind of have a habit of running smear campaigns, throwing a fit when the city tried to set up a men's shelter etc. The director also went on live TV, and said we don't understand why Men feel attacked by us, but then said 4/5 serial killers are White Men. While they may actually be true, can you really wonder why someone might be offended? Let me put it this way, if I give a speech to the NAACP, and say that most of the highest crime areas have a high minority population, do you think they are going to react very well? No. I would get booed off the stage Romney style.

LOL MRA.
OAM

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »

I unfortunately do not have the budget to be choose, nor do I live in an area that really even has any choices for shopping.  I've thankfully been able to cut out Wal-Mart, save for a few specific items that I don't need on a regular basis, but that's about the extent of what's even possible for me at this time.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 06:43:09 PM »

I won't shop at Walmart for political/moral reasons and I'm gonna be a vegetarian after high school, so I guess that's the ceiling.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 09:00:07 PM »

Apart from the jokes, Cleveland and it's suburbs have a lot of shopping centers, stores, fast food places/restaurants etc. which enables me to not even really notice or care about stores and their political off-bringing, but if a revived version of Ohio HB 376 ever passes, I'll obviously refuse to go to any stores that implement anti-gay policies. I also try to stay away from Wal-Mart and Mickey D's, to.

As for places I'm more likely to go to, Chipotle seems to be the most obvious one as of recently not only b/c they're an awesome hangout place and are a much better alternative to Taco Bell, but I very much approve of their anti-gun policy. Starbuck's and BK I also tend to go to quite a bit mainly because I like what they sell + I somehow barely gain any weight, but also because they're both outspoken about their support for the homosexual lifestyle and I've heard rumors that the BK "Proud" Whopper will be a nationwide promotion next year which would be awesome.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2014, 09:00:49 AM »

(Except Johnsonville because they are the only company that sells Bratwursts out here in Maryland and I need my Brats!!!).

Cancel it out with a few purchases from New Glarus Brewery. Such excellent beer, and their owner is outspoken for progressive viewpoints.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies