How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:01:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?
A good deal

Some

Almost none

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: How big of an impact does politics have on your purchases?  (Read 2079 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:41:34 AM »

A business's chief aim from its own standpoint is to maximize its value for the owners/shareholders. My aim as a consumer is to maximize the value I get from the economic transactions I engage in. If I'm buying a particular good or service, I'm going to buy it from the firm that allows me to best meet that objective.

Do I agree with Chick Fil A's LGBT views? No. But I don't go there for socio-political commentary. I go there for chicken.

I generally avoid Wal-Mart. Not because I disapprove of the way they treat their employees (which I do), but because their low prices are outweighed by the inconvenient and unpleasant experience of shopping in their stores (which may be in part due to said mistreatment of employees).

How much does a company's political activity and personal policy have on your purchases?

For me it is a good deal. This is especially true for a company's environmental policies. I tend to seek out companies that are friendly to the environment and especially that are 1% For The Planet pledges. Politics plays a large role in my life and I don't see why I would consistently give my money to a company that advocates against my preferred policies when I could be giving it to one that will help my side for a near identical product.

Brands that I recommend for the progressives:

New Belgium Brewery
Patagonia
Ben & Jerry's
Chipotle
Costco
Intel
Kohl's
A lot of others that I just can't think of

Do you own any Apple products? Congratulations. You must support Chinese slave labor. Give yourself a pat on the back. Do you own any Samsung products? Congratulations. You must support Chinese slave labor. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Yes I believe the point of this thread is that Wal-Mart is a pretty unpleasant place to shop.  I mean, almost every cashier I've had at a Wal-Mart have been very unpleasant.  Of course, management probably treats them like sh*t and pays them minimum wage when a few years ago they were making $8.40/hr, so I shouldn't really be surprised.  That is probably the only reason why I don't march to the back and demand that action be taken against these people, because I know that they are being taken over the coals and shat on by people higher up who really don't give a sh*t.
(I'm also a former employee of Wal-Mart, so I'm not exactly talking out of my ass here)

I will comment though that I find it hilarious that Illini "recommends" Kohls.  I also worked at Kohls before and they gave the sh*ttiest breaks in the history of eight hour work days.  Night managers really enjoyed walking by your area every five f***ing minutes and yelling at you for daring to be standing up for a second without a box or an item in your hand about to be stocked.  We got fifteen minute breaks for evening shifts and were given a stiff talking to if we happened to be in the breakroom two minutes over (they supposedly had a deal with the Subway next door to give us discounts.  However, it took like five minutes to walk from the back docks to the Subway store, another five to order the sandwich, and by the time we got back the break was over.  So seriously, what was even the f***in point of the break in the first place?).  Maybe it's different in other places, but the one I worked at was the second worst job I ever had (the worst was Carl's Jr., which really says a lot that Kohl's is second).  Not to mention, the company promotes debt slavery through their "Kohl's Credit Card", which management and the sales people worship worship like they are a deluded cult.  Kohl's is a religion, and their credit card is their god.  They don't really care about selling shirts and sh*t, they just care about getting as many poor suckers onto their credit card scheme as possible in the hopes that 10% of those poor fools forget to pay their tabs on time and pay them outrageous extortion fees interest rates.

Seriously, the only "liberal" thing about Kohl's seems to be their focus on "green" energy.  Other than that, they are just a nicer looking Target.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 08:59:18 AM by Mechaman »

I guess as for politics, almost no impact.

I don't eat at Chic-fil-a because I think their chicken is the most overrated nastiest chicken in the history of chicken, not because I oppose the religious views of the owner.  Also, it is harder than sh*t to eat there since a bunch of the nutjobs started eating there religiously because MUH RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! so even if I did like the chicken there's no way in hell I'd eat there now because I'd have to park half a mile away just to eat there and wait fifteen minutes to order.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart (or at least I don't try to) because it's actually really inconvenient to drive to any of the local Wal-Marts in my area and when I do get there the fruits and vegetables are usually deader than the Dodo Bird, their bakery bread sucks, Great Values soda tastes like ammonia, if you get a pair of jeans from there it has about a 75% chance of having a broken zipper, if you do get one with a workable zipper it will last six months before ripping a hole around your crotch, the furniture you can buy is apparently made out of paper mache, the idiot cashiers overcharge the sh*t out of you for the sh*t produce (true story, I got beets at Whole Foods for a third of the price the morons charge you at Wal-Mart) you can get from the place, and Electronics needs more stuff!
The politics, as bad as it is, comes in a distant second compared to the quality issues I've experienced at Wal-Mart.  THough like Indy says, those are prob related.

So yes, I think I would say that in general out of the places that I have shopped at before but avoid like the plague, politics is really not important.  Those places having the worst customer service and product quality in the world, however, kind of is.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2014, 03:37:32 AM by Mechaman »

Overall, somewhat. I've never shopped at Hobby Lobby, nor did I ever plan to. I really won't now though. I am trying to avoid Koch products.

So pretty much avoid buying things I might wipe my ass with?

Yeah, that seems easy.

EDIT: Though that does seem easy, given that I"m not a huge fan of TP like Angel Soft.  Nothing is more irritating than weak TP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies