IDS 2: Help For Those Who Seriously Can't Help Themselves Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 2: Help For Those Who Seriously Can't Help Themselves Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS 2: Help For Those Who Seriously Can't Help Themselves Act (Debating)  (Read 346 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Debate will fill in some of the blanks, but I think this is an important bill for us to work on.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Maxwell
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2014, 02:45:05 PM by IDS Legislator Maxwell »

Yes this is a bill that I want to work with all of you on. Hopefully we can help those of severe disability.

I looked through Senate bills and found a severe disability savings, which gives a better definition of severe disability than found here, so I will make those changes in an upcoming amendment.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »

One of the biggest areas of concern is lack of facilities and also specifically with regards to children, the problem whereby children fall through the cracks of the system as they become adults.

As for research I will draw your attention to the federal statute passed a few months ago. Building on that I would say that care techniques are important, because the use of technology can allieviate some of the lack of capacity issues as well as was to create and broader management of the illness to ensure they receive on-going treatment even as they mature into adults. The problem of lack of facilities will remain to some extent as there are some patients that just cannot be treated out-patient or through therapy done via a two way video chat, known as teletherapy. The cost thought is rather high, and we have basically operated over the past sixty years as if everyone can be dealth with out-patient. In some case, 80% and even 90% reductions in capacity have occured compared to the 1950's and the population has grown significantly since then.

And causation is a critical area that needs all the research it can get. As for cost, I wouldn't be able to say as that would have to depend on the amount of available funds in the regional budget and we basically avoided the issue in the Senate by redirecting existing funding to the state priorities.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:58:37 PM »

I'm not opposed to funding research, though in all honesty I'm rather pessimistic about this bill as a whole because it doesn't seem to change what we do already.  Effectiveness needs to seriously be considered in weighing the costs.

A few other points I'd make is that we already allow parents to choose which schools their children go to, the anti-homelessness bill we passed a few months ago addresses mental care, and the Senate is working on an education bill that will affect children in need of mental care.  The details of that priorities will likely be expanded on in future legislation.

If the sponsor can convince me that this bill will amount to more than a legislative band-aid and is worth what ever the total cost will be, I will support it.  But, at the moment, I am inclined to veto this bill in its existing framework.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »

I would recommend formulating a cost limit because I can assure you the need will exeed it. The high costs in the infamous comprehensive mental healthcare will pushing the lower range as it was and yet were deemed to high. The numbers escape me off hand, but double digit billions of dollars certainly. Regionalized, it is a huge chunk of change. Taking what you have as a maximum amount, you can then determine what such is likely to achieve and then whether or not to proceed is deemed worthwhile.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »

I'm withdrawing the bill.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »

In that case, there are no more bills to discuss.

Looks like I have to get that healthcare bill drafted soon, which is a little difficult for me now, but thankfully this is the end of the session...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies