1828 Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1828 Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for?
Andrew Jackson (Democratic)

John Q. Adams (National Republican)

Others/Write-in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: 1828 Presidential Election  (Read 392 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »

Quincy Adams
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

Jackson was preferable to Adams on banking, internal improvements, and free trade. Nevertheless, Adams had the superior temperament for the office, and didn't have the stains of Indian removal, overt public graft, slavery, and expansion of executive power on his legacy.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »

Keep in mind that you can't just make a statement like "Jackson was 'conservative' on free trade," as a protective tariff to protect American businesses was a very pro-business, neoliberal policy in that time.  The GOP didn't just wake up one day in the '30s and no longer like tariffs, it just wasn't practical for how global of an economy we had become.

With that in mind, and many other things, I'd never vote for Andrew Jackson with a gun to my head.  Quincy Adams easily.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »

With hindsight of course Quincy Adams
Without? Probably Jackson
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:38:13 PM »

Adams.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »

Protectionism = "Neoliberal"? lololol

I'd vote for Jackson, or historically, want the legislature to vote the electoral votes to Jackson.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »

I'd vote for Jackson, or historically, want the legislature to vote the electoral votes to Jackson.

Ever taken an economics class?  Neoliberal has more or less usually meant pro-business policies.  You're so tied to the idea that small government = conservative, but that simply hasn't always been the case.  Jackson was an unabashed economic populist who used virtually the same talking points that Democratic candidates use today...
Maistre
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2014, 03:17:31 PM by Maistre »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, several.

No. That's not what it means. Neoliberal is a term that refers to ideas going all the way back to classical liberalism. Namely, free trade, free markets, very limited government interference, etc you get the point. Neoliberal is sort of a misleading term because these ideas have been around for a while, but they've been dug up recently and given a modern flair, but nobody really would identify as one in modern times. Ironically in your argument's case, the Democratic Party under Jackson was probably the biggest proponent of these ideas.

No I'm not, I'm quite aware of that.

Er. Not really. Jackson certainly ran as a populist, he definitely liked to hate on the banks, the privileged and concentrated wealth but his economic policies are obviously no way similar to the modern Democratic Party.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

Write-In: Martin Van Buren (not going to support an elitist who would oppose giving me a right to vote or a racist maniac)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »

Write-In: Martin Van Buren (not going to support an elitist who would oppose giving me a right to vote or a racist maniac)
I agree with this.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »

Ever taken an economics class?  Neoliberal has more or less usually meant pro-business policies.  You're so tied to the idea that small government = conservative, but that simply hasn't always been the case.  Jackson was an unabashed economic populist who used virtually the same talking points that Democratic candidates use today...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

Neoliberalism has nothing to do with being probusiness, the term refers to keeping government out of the private sector, so more or less the perfect opposite of protectionism
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 08:17:11 PM »

Jackson.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 09:17:46 AM by Mechaman »

Write-in: Working Men's Party Electors

Even before he was president Jackson was running on open Manifest Destiny and a defense of black slavery.  However, given that the types who supported the National Republican Party were full of those types who would view me and others of the Celtic stock as uncouth criminal savages who can't be trusted with a vote (inconvenient fact #996: electoral franchise in parts of New England was severely limited in the early 19th century to prevent French and Irish radicals from having an impact on government) and that John Q Adams had no problem (and was at the time supportive) of keeping the franchise severely limited for their benefit, I sure as hell can't say I'd be anywhere close to predisposed to voting for John Q.

Really, 1828 was a pretty sh*tty election with few choices.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies