No Problem But You Pay It Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:32:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  No Problem But You Pay It Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: No Problem But You Pay It Act (Failed)  (Read 1224 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »

Why do you think trans people should pay through the nose for necessary medical treatment? I'm surprised, Sen. Goldwater, especially with your social score and alleged libertarian views.

Because I consider it an elective surgery and think that people should pay for their own elective surgeries. I realize that both of those views are outside of the mainstream here and honestly I don't really care much about this issues, but there you go.

I admire your honesty, Senator, but do you know any trans people? Do you know what it's like to be transgender? Because it seems to me like the answers to those questions are no.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »

NAY

Though I do understand the point of view held by Goldwater and Jomcar, I don't think this falls squarely into the camp of being an elective surgery otherwise I would agree that we shouldn't be funding it.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »

Why do you think trans people should pay through the nose for necessary medical treatment? I'm surprised, Sen. Goldwater, especially with your social score and alleged libertarian views.

Because I consider it an elective surgery and think that people should pay for their own elective surgeries. I realize that both of those views are outside of the mainstream here and honestly I don't really care much about this issues, but there you go.

I admire your honesty, Senator, but do you know any trans people? Do you know what it's like to be transgender? Because it seems to me like the answers to those questions are no.

You're right, I don't know any transgender people, which is why I usually try to keep my mouth shut when the subject comes up. Basically, I just don't understand it. I can understand not wanting to follow stereotypical gender roles, such as some who's physically male and wants to wear skirts and high heels, but I don't understand why actually changing your physical parts is necessary. I suppose this view might be considered backwards or transphobic, but like I said I don't really care much about this issue in the first place, so it's not like I'm going to try to fight to get this thing passed or anything like that.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

The fact that you don't care that people are being denied their right to exist as who they actually are by way of not having the money to pay for this kind of operation is kind of troubling.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

I think this can be ended now.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »

The fact that you don't care that people are being denied their right to exist as who they actually are by way of not having the money to pay for this kind of operation is kind of troubling.

I think what Goldwater is trying to ask is that if gender is indeed a social construct, why must biological sex play into the discussion at all? It's a question I often have myself, but I would probably err on the side of caution and vote against this bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »

The results of the vote:
Aye (1): Senator Goldwater
Nay:(7) Senator Tyrion, Senator TNF, Senator bore, Senator Griffin, Senator Alfred, Senator Lumine, Senator North Carolina Yankee
Non voting (1): Senator shua

This amendment fails.
I, Windjammer, president of the senate, certify these results are accurate.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:06 PM »

I think what Goldwater is trying to ask is that if gender is indeed a social construct, why must biological sex play into the discussion at all? It's a question I often have myself, but I would probably err on the side of caution and vote against this bill.

Gender's not a social construct, though. That's why we have trans people. Y'all can read about that boy whose circumcision went wrong and so his parents raised him as a girl but he went back to being a man in his teens; I can't quite remember his name.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies