Smack Ain't Whack Act of 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:25:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Smack Ain't Whack Act of 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Smack Ain't Whack Act of 2014  (Read 4962 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »

I share Lumine's concerns, I understand the concerns about black markets but I fear just as much the other aspects and the negative consequences they entail render nill the gains from black market reductions.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2014, 02:32:35 PM »

Given that many oppose legalizing any of the drugs stated on the bill, perhaps a final vote would be wise if the sponsor has no further amendments?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »

Given that many oppose legalizing any of the drugs stated on the bill, perhaps a final vote would be wise if the sponsor has no further amendments?

I am preparing another amendment.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

Bump!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »

Thank you for bumping this, Lumine. Unfortunately it might be tomorrow before I can get that amendment up. I'm in the process of moving and so I've got more limited time than usual, but I can guarantee you I'll have something for the consideration of the Senate at some point tomorrow.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »

I guess I should be thankful, it takes longer to code amendments now and ?I am still maintain my own tracker as a backup for the one on the Noticeboard.

Plus I am not getting on as much as I would like.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2014, 12:27:22 PM »

I need just a bit more of an extension on this. Sorry guys. I've been moving for the past two days and didn't have internet access yesterday at all, so I'm kind of playing catch-up here. Would the Senate be more amiable to a bill devolving hard drug policy to the Regions?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:49 PM »

I need just a bit more of an extension on this. Sorry guys. I've been moving for the past two days and didn't have internet access yesterday at all, so I'm kind of playing catch-up here. Would the Senate be more amiable to a bill devolving hard drug policy to the Regions?

I'd support it.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

2. Section 2 of the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 is hereby amended to read as follows:

Section 2: Hard Drug Legalization

1. Existing criminal penalties established by the federal government concerning the sale of heroin, morphine, methadone, opium, amphetamine, ketamine, PCP, cocaine and methamphetamine and the substances, plants, or chemicals needed for their processing, shall be abolished throughout the Republic of Atlasia. Regional governments shall henceforth have all authority over policy concerning the sale of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1 of Section 2 of this Act.

2. No Region may, however, enact any law providing for the commercial selling sale of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1 of Section 2 shall be limited to persons over the age of sixteen. to persons under the age of sixteen.

3. All persons currently serving time in prison for the possession, transportation, sale, or consumption of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1, who have not committed any other crime, and who have not already been transferred to rehabilitation centers (as per the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013) to fully deal with the scope of their addiction are hereby granted amnesty. Those currently in rehabilitation programs shall be given the option of choosing to continue said programs or return home, effective upon the passage of this legislation.

4. The commercial sale of products mentioned in Subsection 4 shall be subject to a 25% excise tax at the point of sale.

5. No person shall be involuntarily committed to any rehabilitation program for drug abuse, effective upon the passage of this legislation.

Section 3: Implementation

Unless otherwise specified herein, the provisions of this legislation shall take full effect January 1, 2015.[/quote]
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »

How does that look?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2014, 08:47:39 AM »

I'm not really much of a regionalist apart from for game purposes, so I don't see why, if something is a bad idea federally it becomes a good idea regionally. Though I might support this just to give something for regional governments to do (As I think has become clear, it's these type of issues, like dogs and polygamy, that provoke the most activity).

More importantly, this section seems poorly worded:

For one thing that would stop sports clubs from screening their employees, and it might even make it impossible to fire an incompetent employee, if their incompetence is related to drug use.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

I don't think any organization should be able to screen their employees for drug use. That's not any of your boss' business, so long as you aren't doing it during work hours.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »

I don't think any organization should be able to screen their employees for drug use. That's not any of your boss' business, so long as you aren't doing it during work hours.

At the very least in a sport like cycling or athletics or football or rugby it is.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:08 AM »

2. Section 2 of the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 is hereby amended to read as follows:

1. Existing criminal penalties established by the federal government concerning the sale of heroin, morphine, methadone, opium, amphetamine, ketamine, PCP, cocaine and methamphetamine and the substances, plants, or chemicals needed for their processing, shall be abolished throughout the Republic of Atlasia. Regional governments shall henceforth have all authority over policy concerning the sale of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1 of Section 2 of this Act.

2. No Region may, however, enact any law providing for the commercial selling sale of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1 of Section 2 shall be limited to persons over the age of sixteen. to persons under the age of sixteen.

3. All persons currently serving time in prison for the possession, transportation, sale, or consumption of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1, who have not committed any other crime, and who have not already been transferred to rehabilitation centers (as per the Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013) to fully deal with the scope of their addiction are hereby granted amnesty. Those currently in rehabilitation programs shall be given the option of choosing to continue said programs or return home, effective upon the passage of this legislation.

4. The commercial sale of products mentioned in Subsection 4 shall be subject to a 25% excise tax at the point of sale.

5. No person shall be involuntarily committed to any rehabilitation program for drug abuse, effective upon the passage of this legislation.

Unless otherwise specified herein, the provisions of this legislation shall take full effect January 1, 2015.[/quote]

How's that, bore?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »

Yeah, that's better Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »

Senators have 24 hours (as of the second amendment I offered) to object.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »

No, I like this amended bill just fine.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. The Smack Ain't Whack Act of 2014 is now up for a final vote. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

2. No Region may, however, enact any law providing for the commercial sale of the substances mentioned in Subsection 1 of Section 2 to persons under the age of sixteen.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »

AYE
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52