Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:21:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014  (Read 2938 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:45:39 AM »

Here is the Long-Term Unemployment Relief Act.
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Long-term_Unemployment_Relief_Act

Well, what is funny is that it was EXACTLY the same senate who voted on this legislation recently than the actual senate. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »

First off, I must point out that there is multiple portions to the bill being repealed only the most controversial of which is a repeal of the high minimum wage schedules passed as part of the FLSA. The bill also amends a rather problematically worded section dealing with contracts that served to cause severe problems employment wise not to mention discouraging job formation. The bill also creates incentives to encourage the hiring of the long term unemployed through a payroll tax holiday. Lastly it discourages the practice of using gaps in employment as a sole criteria for denying employment, through the gov'ts workforce.

I would recommend that instead of reinstating the high minimum wage rates imposed by the FLSA, that instead the Nixcome be raised instead. That the tipped employee's scheduled be likewise brought into line with the main one one as well, with the Nixome increase serving as a more effective and more efficient means to achieve the same end for them as well.

The contract wording should be maintained in some form as well as the policy regarding gov't hiring of long term unemployed, the latter of which should be the least controversial of all.

There was some criticism from Nix and others that the payroll tax holiday for the long term unemployed would be an inefficient means to achieve the desired end. In that case I suggest looking at alternatives if it is deemed to be so by the majority here.

Certainly none can doubt the problem of Long-term unemployment, and at the vary least some of the components of this should be maintained and certainly not wholesale repealed as is the case with the bill presently before the Senate. We are short on bills as I last checked and this provides the opportunity for the administration to pass a bill that rather can steps back in regards to the issue, addresses it more-forcefully/effectively.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

This bill will undo the unconscionable attack upon the minimum wage launched against the Atlasian people by right-wing extremist shua.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:15:34 PM »

shua's original bill was only the payroll tax holiday. Onto that we tacked on other things deemed harmful to the long-term unemployed, including the high minimum wage schedules. It was always my intent at least, as a compensatory measure for the Nixcome to be increased as a substitute, even before the Long-Term Unemployment Bill was drafted. The problem was that said bill dragged on far longer and it had to be left for a subsequent bill as inevitably paying for it/adjusting the formular would be somewhat complicated.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »

Would there by any interest on the part of the Senators, particularly those of Labor for such an alternative approach as I previously described?

I have usually been supportive of most all of minimum wage policies that have come throguh here. I think it serves a purpose in spite of the consequences that it has and I know the difficulties when you don't earn enough to pay the bills. But that said it does have negative attributes and if an alternative is possible, which should seek to utilize that instead, as opposed to remaining glued to the same imperfect approach. Afterall, what was the purpose of the Nixcome in the first place, if we aren't going to utilize it as the umbrella or broad approach to ensure that people have a living income? A living wage has a role to play as a part of that puzzle particularly in the short term, but it was not to be the whole affair and over time should become less and less a relative portion of that policy as money and resources allow for the utilization of other more efficient means to achieve the amounts targed for by the Minimum Income formula.

This Senate seems to be rather lifeless I must say (nine slots or so and little to no interest on virtually everything), so why not have a debate both on the Nixcome formula and the means by which to pay for such?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:28 PM »

As one of the Senators who voted for this, I must say that repealing this bill does not look like the right way to me as well. That said, I am interested in taking an alternative road as Yankee has already suggested. I know I'm being vague in this, but what do think would be a reasonable increase in order to address this, Yankee? (to get a measure of the spending involved)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

As one of the Senators who voted for this, I must say that repealing this bill does not look like the right way to me as well. That said, I am interested in taking an alternative road as Yankee has already suggested. I know I'm being vague in this, but what do think would be a reasonable increase in order to address this, Yankee? (to get a measure of the spending involved)
Do you realize that the senate who voted this bill is exactly the same senate that we have today? Tongue

Duke/Cinci have been just replaced by DemPGH/Windjammer!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »

I think we should determine it by a percentage. The present minimum wage is 12.50 plus whatever indexing has come into effect.

How about 10-5-5-5?
So a 10% increase the first year in the minimum wage would have yielded 1.30 more an hour followed by by 5% the years to follow for the next three years would add 65 cents a year for the next three years.

$2,058 +$1,014, + $1,014 + $1,014 for a total of $5,100 more a year at the end of four years.

So you would adjust the formula by X amount during year one to get that 2,058 and then by y amount each year for the next three to get that $1,014.

And if you are interested, the equivalent of the FLSA schedule would be $1.50 the first year followed by a $1.00 each year afterwards so $2,340+1560*3= $7,020 more a year at the end of four years. The formula would then be adjusted similarly.

TJ drew up the formula as a I recall that we ended up using and shua has provided me with necessary formulas since then and he is gone for three more days. Lumine can you provide an assistance in this regard?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »

Do you realize that the senate who voted this bill is exactly the same senate that we have today? Tongue

Well atleast all the seats were somewhat contested, even if they kept the same people. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »

If we want to revisit the minimum wage, perhaps we shouldn't throw out the rest of the Act, too.

Furthermore, I will ABSOLUTELY not accept a drop in the minimum wage without an increase in basic income.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 01:32:49 AM »

Well atleast all the seats were somewhat contested, even if they kept the same people. Tongue

I guess I love giving myself self-importance, even with such a useless claim, xD

Now, trying to sound more serious, I could certainly support that type of raise via percentage, specially if we can stretch it over four years and avoid taking measures like the proposed Wages for Housework Act (which as many other already pointed out would be too expensive and ineffective). I have to admit that drafting formulas is something I'm which I am not good at all, but since Shua will be out for some time yet I'll see if I can have something prepared before he returns.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 06:24:40 AM »

Furthermore, I will ABSOLUTELY not accept a drop in the minimum wage without an increase in basic income.

Would you have voted for the previous act, had it contained such an increase in the same bill?

Also it was our goal to avoid drops in "minimum income" (broadly defined here to include minimum wage). The simple fact is that regardless of intent, the minimum wage is a double edged sword and once raised beyond a certain point, it undeniably serves to exclude people from the work force. The argument in my view is not whether or not this is true, but to what extent it can safely be raised without hitting such. The data saying it is "safe" deals with small increases from the low RL US minimum wage and it would be foolish to think the same data applying to an incease from 7.25 to 9.15 or 10.10, would also likewise apply for a change from 12.50 to 18. The increase to 10.10 is slightly higher in percentage terms but it is from a lower base relative to the whole economy. Lastly we must consider where we are at present in terms of unemployment and inflation, which are both worse than real life as well.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2014, 11:48:18 AM by DemPGH, President »

I find myself agreeing with Tyrion. I'm admittedly in a quandary about this. I'm curious as to what the minimum wage is now - I see that repealing this would indeed raise the minimum wage in stages that are pretty significant in the coming years. Again, I favor balance. The minimum wage cannot be too low or too high or you have all the requisite problems - the right complains about curtailing job growth if it's too high and the left complains about poverty if it's too low, and I can understand both concerns. I certainly lean toward a higher minimum wage than a lower one.

(To tie in a RL concern, now more than ever you have older people working minimum wage jobs whereas in the past it was always younger people and H.S. and college students - this is a big problem).

I'm also wondering how the Long Term Unemployment Relief Act impacts union status. If you join a union, it sounds like you might not get the protections that others get until you are "tenured" or until the company decides to keep you at the end of the time they have; in other words, it sounds like everyone hired under the Long Term Unemployment Relief Act is a temp. Also at play here is some incentive to induce the long term unemployed to find work again. So we need to be careful about this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »

The present statute is $12.50 indexed to inflation as of I think Spring 2013. That means depending on the inflation index and the intervals, it could be higher then 12.50 by now.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »

Shamed as I am to admit, I've been having some trouble to draft a correct formula for the increase Yankee proposed, and seeing as we sadly don't have Shua anymore I wonder if there's anybody with enough experience to do it. Perhaps DC?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:23 AM »

If we want to revisit the minimum wage, perhaps we shouldn't throw out the rest of the Act, too.

Thought you've been a long time supporter of the abolition in the Minimum Wage. =/ ?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »

Thought you've been a long time supporter of the abolition in the Minimum Wage. =/ ?

The minimum wage is an economic inefficiency, but a necessary one so long as workers aren't receiving enough money some other way, simply put.

So I would support dropping the minimum wage if I would be convinced that workers could still maintain a livelihood.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 11:31:15 AM »

The minimum wage is an economic inefficiency, but a necessary one so long as workers aren't receiving enough money some other way, simply put.

So I would support dropping the minimum wage if I would be convinced that workers could still maintain a livelihood.

Would a negative income tax not suffice to provide the same benefits without that innefficiency?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

No, because a negative income tax is not a universal basic income grant.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »

No, because a negative income tax is not a universal basic income grant.

TNF, such could be combined with other programs to produce a minimum income guarrantee as was disussed when we debated the Nixcome as being an eventual objective or goal. Perhaps I misunderstood those discussion, but it was my understanding that the minimum income would eventually form an umbrella under which multiple facets would come together ensure a litteral minimum income through one program or another or through more then one to ensure X amount was received.  

In fact, I recall it even being discussed that we could use the minimum wage in conjunction with various programs and the negative income tax the forms the basis of the Nixcome, to formulate a minimum income guarrantee initially to sort of phase it in. As I see it, we are just shifting the load from one leg to a another in regards to that original intended outcome.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

I would also point out that the minimum wage is not a basic income grant either because you don't get it unless you have a job obviously.

Perhaps you should define what you mean by "basic income grant", TNF.

My understanding of it is as described above, an initially limited program that sought to supplement other forms of income and reduce, even elminate use of various other more traditional assistance program. The is no reason such could not thus be extended and expanded in lieu of further minimum wage hikes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »

I guess I love giving myself self-importance, even with such a useless claim, xD

It is now not so useless, by a factor of 2 Tongue

It was easier for me with the original Fritzcare. There were only two of us to start who voted no and then MAsterJedi resigned two months later. Wink
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »

A universal basic income grant is just what it sounds like: a universal grant, to everyone. Everyone would receive a lump sum of money every year for use on whatever they wish. I think that should be enough to bring them over the poverty line and allow them to live comfortably, which is why I would want it set at at least $30,000, subject to no tax, and adjusted with inflation.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 04:53:47 PM »

Well, I have the feeling this bill is going to be debated for a long time Tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies