Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:02:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Renewing our Promise to Workers Act of 2014  (Read 2944 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »

A universal basic income grant is just what it sounds like: a universal grant, to everyone. Everyone would receive a lump sum of money every year for use on whatever they wish. I think that should be enough to bring them over the poverty line and allow them to live comfortably, which is why I would want it set at at least $30,000, subject to no tax, and adjusted with inflation.

What is the practical difference between that and a negative income tax calculated to bring bring people up to a certain level, augmenting what they recieve through other sources?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »

A universal basic income grant is just what it sounds like: a universal grant, to everyone. Everyone would receive a lump sum of money every year for use on whatever they wish. I think that should be enough to bring them over the poverty line and allow them to live comfortably, which is why I would want it set at at least $30,000, subject to no tax, and adjusted with inflation.

What is the practical difference between that and a negative income tax calculated to bring bring people up to a certain level, augmenting what they recieve through other sources?

The practical difference is that not everyone benefits from an NIT, while everyone benefits from a BIG.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

The practical difference is that not everyone benefits from an NIT, while everyone benefits from a BIG.

What is the criteria? Surely we shouldn't not litteraly be handing everyone $30,000 dollars, some out there have it already several times over and we should focus our resources on those who need it most.

Is there any other criteria of exclusion from an NIT?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 12:38:37 AM »

Is there a purpose behind discussing the same thing in two different bills? If not we should axe one of them I think.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »

This bill has nothing to do with a BIG. It is about restoring the minimum wage.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »

What is more important TNF? Boosting the minimum wage, or boosting the living standards and incomes of the poor and working class?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »

What is more important TNF? Boosting the minimum wage, or boosting the living standards and incomes of the poor and working class?

There's no reason why we can't do both.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »

If we have a UBI, I don't think we need an $18/hr minimum wage. That would make the minimum possible income (with a job) around $50,000, and it seems like that could lead to some inflation.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 01:12:39 AM »

There's no reason why we can't do both.

What should a means to an end be as important as the end itself, especialyl when said means has drawbacks that could be avoided by going a different route?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »

If we have a UBI, I don't think we need an $18/hr minimum wage. That would make the minimum possible income (with a job) around $50,000, and it seems like that could lead to some inflation.

Your point? Inflation can be controlled fairly easily. We tax away excess wealth at the top and reduce working hours.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »

Your point? Inflation can be controlled fairly easily. We tax away excess wealth at the top and reduce working hours.

To what extent would you have in mind to reduce them to, Senator? How would that impact Atlasia's ability to compete with foreign economies? I'm not against this yet, but that point weighs heavily on my mind.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

The lowest I think we could reasonably go at this point is a 20 hour workweek. We've got a 32 hour workweek right now, but with the massive increases in productivity we've seen since the 1970s, we could theoretically go down to a 15 hour workweek, iirc. But I think 20 is good because it's an even number and it would utterly and totally end unemployment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »

The lowest I think we could reasonably go at this point is a 20 hour workweek. We've got a 32 hour workweek right now, but with the massive increases in productivity we've seen since the 1970s, we could theoretically go down to a 15 hour workweek, iirc. But I think 20 is good because it's an even number and it would utterly and totally end unemployment.

But neither 8 or 6 multiply evenly to 20. Perhaps a 24-hour week (3 8-hour days or 4 6-hour days)?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

4 x 5 = 20

Four five hour days or five four hour days. (I'd prefer the former)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »

I could support 4 5 hour days.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

20 hour work week are you guys actually serious? I hope some Senators have some sense to reject this nonsense.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 02:40:52 PM »

How will that impact inflation? Reducing working hours would probably exacerbate it as it would increase production costs considerably and thus raise prices.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 02:44:24 PM »

Twenty hours? Wow.

Not saying I don't support this, but the most generous in the developed world is around 30 hours. Just FYI.

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/news/economy/2013/07/10/worlds-shortest-work-weeks/index.html?iid=F_Jump
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »

20 hour work week are you guys actually serious? I hope some Senators have some sense to reject this nonsense.

Atlasia fell off the deep end long before this.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »

When my favorite rosbeef will run for senate? Sad
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »

What about 5 5 hour days? You get 25 hours a week. The reason I liked the idea of 20 was that you could double the amount of shifts in a given work day.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 01:23:26 AM »

Atlasia fell off the deep end long before this.

I still haven't come to turns with 32 hours, so you can be sure I won't support less than that guys. Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »

What about 5 5 hour days? You get 25 hours a week. The reason I liked the idea of 20 was that you could double the amount of shifts in a given work day.

We've already eliminated the 5-day week. I'd rather us not go back to that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

Minimal posting the last two days here.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2014, 02:31:27 PM »

I think the problem is that we're debating a similar issue in two different pieces of legislation, and as it stands, the Wages for Housework and the proposal to introduce a pilot program on a region seems to be making more progress.

Since I am opposed to reducing the work week to such ridiculous levels (many others have that concern, even the President) and it would be more productive to focus on the other bill, I will motion to table. I'm not a fan of tabling bills, but I don't see how could I support this bill and I don't think we can amend it in a way in which it will not severly hurt our economy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies