If McCain had picked Governor Mark Sanford for VP in 2008..........?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:14:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If McCain had picked Governor Mark Sanford for VP in 2008..........?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If McCain had picked Governor Mark Sanford for VP in 2008..........?  (Read 2886 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

I believe the pre fall from grace Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina would have been a good pick for McCain's VP.

At that time, he was considered to be a good Governor, and could have added positively to the ticket.

However, had he been picked, and had they won, and had Sanford continued down the same path as he did, this would have resulted in the dismissal or resignation of a sitting Vice President, and would have brought scandal upon the McCain Presidency.

Had this scenario became a reality, who should McCain have picked to replace Sanford as Vice President in 2009?   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »

While Palin may have cost McCain some votes, what killed any chance of McCain winning was his temporary suspension of his campaign to demonstrate he didn't have a clue of what to do about the 2008 financial crisis.  (Not that Obama had any clue either, but he didn't advertise that fact the way McCain did.)  So really it didn't matter who McCain picked as his running mate, he wasn't going to win.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »

I agree McCain was going to lose, however, my actual question supposes McCain and Governor Mark Sanford win. 

Sanford, the new Vice President, continues down the path he did in real life, having affairs with prostitutes.

He has to resign as Vice President.

My question being who does President McCain then nominate to replace Sanford as Vice President? 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

Supposedly, the VP vetting process performed by presidential campaigns would be thorough enough to find potential pitfalls like Sanford's affair. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:48 AM »

I find this scenario a little odd, but I could see him choosing someone like Huckabee.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »

I find this scenario a little odd, but I could see him choosing someone like Huckabee.

True, however, as you are aware, Vice President Agnew resigned, due to scandal, as Nixon's Vice President and Nixon replaced him with Gerald Ford.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:08 AM »

True, however, as you are aware, Vice President Agnew resigned, due to scandal, as Nixon's Vice President and Nixon replaced him with Gerald Ford.

Irrelevant.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2014, 11:43:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant, but a parallel.  It shows there are occasions when a sitting Vice President must be replaced for one reason or another. 

My question is simply who does McCain nominate for Congressional approval to become the new Vice President?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »

I agree McCain was going to lose, however, my actual question supposes McCain and Governor Mark Sanford win.  

Sanford, the new Vice President, continues down the path he did in real life, having affairs with prostitutes.

My question being who does President McCain then nominate to replace Sanford as Vice President?  

Joe Lieberman, possibly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »

Joe Lieberman, possibly.

You know, that is an extremely interesting answer. 

McCain would not have to be concerned, at least until the election, by reaction from the Republican right.  By that time they may be accepting of Lieberman as VP.

McCain and Lieberman would work very well together.

One concern I would have though is Lieberman receiving speedy confirmation from Congress from Democrats due to the fact he backed McCain in 2008 over Obama. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »

I get the hypothetical nature of the scenario, but Sanford ruled himself out of the 2008 veepstakes a month before McCain announced his pick:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEw0TNrUd8
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »

The two people in McCain's orbit who he seemed to get along best with were Lieberman and Ridge.  However, his advisors convinced him that picking a pro-choice running mate would never fly.  If McCain was already president, though, then he might figure that he could get away with such a move.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

Sanford would have been unlikely to help McCain much. It would have satisfied the base without the drama of Palin, but it wouldn't have caused much excitement.

Maybe he would have won North Carolina, or lost Missouri. Or both.

If President McCain had to swap out a scandal-ridden veep, he would've likely picked someone he trusts who get confirmed by the Senate. Contenders would be (circa 2009-2010) Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, Tom Ridge, Tim Pawlenty and Joe Lieberman.

Democrats might've encouraged Charlie Crist as a choice, as it would have kept him out of statewide races.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies