What was your most memorable wildlife viewing moment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:11:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What was your most memorable wildlife viewing moment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was your most memorable wildlife viewing moment?  (Read 1040 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:59:57 PM »

What was your most memorable sighting of one or more animals in the wild?

Mine easily was during the boat trip I took off of Alaska, when I saw a humpback whale with her calf, as well as a pod of killer whales.  (I did not get to see the killer whales attack the humpbacks.)  There were also several dolphins and porpoises.

One other memorable animal sighting was in when I saw a moose for the first time in Montana.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:02:21 PM »

When we went to Sea World in 5th grade, we saw two whales having sex.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

I'm having a memorable moment at this very second.  There are two hawks sitting outside my home, and my cat is chattering at them.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

Seeing a heard of Bison run across Yellowstone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »

While going out into the woods with my uncle early one morning (about 3:30 AM) to go hunting, we came face to face with a deer that was about ten feet away from us. I've also seen a few sharks in the intracoastal, including one which made it up the side canal where my house is.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:46:01 AM »

I saw a moose dip its head in the water, then come up and look at us.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:04:01 AM »

Killbear Provincial Park. My family was at the bathroom and it was basically pitch black because the campfire was pretty much done. It also happened to be the night of Susana's speech at the Republican convention in 2012, so naturally I was streaming the thing from 3G onto my laptop. My parents weren't too impressed.

Anyway, halfway through her speech I hear someone shout "BEAR," and two seconds later I hear these thunderous footfalls in the patch of trees beside our campsite. A sapling comes crashing down and almost lands on me, and I know the bear is literally feet away. I actually never saw the thing because it was so dark and my eyes were adjusted to the laptop screen, but I damn-well heard it. I never yelled so loud in all my life.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »

The first week of my Junior year at LSU, it was raining the whole week. It was pretty depressing actually. I was walking home from the gym one night; I walked over a bridge and looked down. I saw a pelican floating down in the creek. It caught my eye because it was bright white and it stood out against the gloomy, rainy environment. It seemed pretty cool.  
retromike22
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »

When I went to Yosemite Nat'l Park with my family in a cabin. We decided to bring a frozen DiGiornio pizza to make. Once it was done we looked outside and our cabin was surrounded by at least 6............ deer. They came up and were tapping at the door because unbeknownst to us, Yosemite deer love DiGiornio pizza. Eventually we scared them away.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 03:14:22 AM »

I'm bumping this thread because look who was enjoying a breakfast of apples straight from the tree this morning, on the roof of the shed in my own back yard!

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 03:15:39 AM »

Bears eating most of our food on a camping trip.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 04:12:37 AM »

Seeing golden eagles on Arran.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 08:09:58 AM »

A mamma black bear and her cubs in the driveway while my family was getting ready to leave from a rental house in the Smoky Mountains to go hiking. I blame my uncle dumping spoiled rice the night before for attracting the bear family.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 08:21:47 AM »

I think this also counts

Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 08:52:16 PM »

Got quite a few I remember pretty well:

1. On a snowy June day in Yellowstone National Park, an adult bison climbed up onto the elevated boardwalk and started walking down the planks about 20 feet or so ahead of me and my family.

2. A stray peacock somehow got up onto the second-story roof of my house and was walking around up there. I can't remember who eventually got him down from there and how, though.

3. I went on an all-day boat tour off the west coast of Kaua'i once, and as the catamaran cruised up the coast, spinner dolphins came up and started leaping up from and splashing down into the water just in front of both bows.

(Two images culled from a 5 and a half minute video I recorded of about 20 or so dolphins swimming with the boat.)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 08:53:37 PM »

I put popcorn on my head. A jay came and landed on my head and ate it, then flew off.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 02:00:24 AM »

I've had quite a few, including bears, whales, moose, elk, orcas, and bison. One of my very early memories is driving through Yellowstone and my dad having to stop the car because a bison was walking right at us and ended up brushing against our car window. All I could see was fur. I think I may have also seen a grizzly bear the last time I was in Yellowstone (didn't know how to distinguish it at the time from a brown bear, but still pretty confident it was a grizzly looking back on it) in pretty ideal killing machine viewing conditions - directly across a deep river. I also had a nice one recently of seeing a herd of elk outside the town of Snoqualmie last month:

If there's any one that I would call the "most memorable," it was probably going whale watching in Hawaii. It didn't have the magic of the unexpected encounter, but we were able to hear whale songs live and saw lots of other cool animals like dolphins and sea turtles along the way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies