Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:28:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Is the Republican's problem that they're too Southern?  (Read 18385 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »

The biggest problem is narcissism. They're just not very nice people.

Are you an actual republican?

I had the same question.........I feel like several of the blue avatars on here are 100% ironic, given that I am to the right of a good number of them.

Depends how you are to the right.  Your social score is well to the right of mine, but your fiscal score is well to my left.
GaussLaw
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »

The biggest problem is narcissism. They're just not very nice people.

Are you an actual republican?

I had the same question.........I feel like several of the blue avatars on here are 100% ironic, given that I am to the right of a good number of them.

Depends how you are to the right.  Your social score is well to the right of mine, but your fiscal score is well to my left.

Not so much you.......I was referring more to people like King who have a blue avatar but only bash the GOP.  Badger also fits this description, as do a few others.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:43 AM »

I actually thought Badger had a red avatar for a while and that Joe had a blue one. I think Joe is liberal-leaning but I am not sure about Badger.

And oh. Do you think that 8 years ago, there could have been a thread titled
"Is the Democrats' problem that they're to Urban?"
illegaloperation

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »

I actually thought Badger had a red avatar for a while and that Joe had a blue one. I think Joe is liberal-leaning but I am not sure about Badger.

Eight years ago, the question might be: "Is the Democrats' problem that they're not Southern enough?"
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »

This is one of several reasons why I'm hesitant to become a Republican.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »

This is one of several reasons why I'm hesitant to become a Republican.

Southern accents? Tongue
illegaloperation

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 09:00:29 PM by illegaloperation »

Almost every Republican I've ever have a lengthy discussion with about politics:
as soon as I bring out the flashy math and statistics, they retreat to quoting the bible and/or the constitution or saying the numbers are made-up.

And you have to remember that I live in a tea party hotbed.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

California is a tea party hotbed?
DS0816
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 12:17:16 AM »

The questions about people's preferred political parties, which is understandable, is less a concern than the fact that forum members are allowed to change their user names. (That should not be permitted.)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »

Almost every Republican I've ever have a lengthy discussion with about politics:
as soon as I bring out the flashy math and statistics, they retreat to quoting the bible and/or the constitution or saying the numbers are made-up.

Your last statement says it all.
illegaloperation

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »

California is a tea party hotbed?

Did you really think that everyone from California comes from Los Angeles or San Francisco?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2014, 05:02:43 PM by Zyzz »

2005 : Democrats can't win in the heartland of America as they are too beholden to their base of Liberal coastal elitists. If Democrats want to win over the South and heartland, they cant be nominating  a French speaking out of touch Liberal like John Kerry. The only guy who can win will be Mark Warner. Listen to the DLC damnit.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

2005 : Democrats can't win in the heartland of America as they are too beholden to their base of Liberal coastal elitists. If Democrats want to win over the South and heartland, they cant be nominating  a French speaking out of touch Liberal like John Kerry. The only guy who can win will be Mark Warner. Listen to the DLC damnit.

While Kerry was certainly painted that way, I think the ironic truth is that no one thinks liberals are as "elite" as liberals do...
RTX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

No.
2012, Pres: Romney, Northeast, beat Santorum, Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, in primaries , VP: Ryan, Midwest - Lost general election
2008, Pres: McCain, West, beat Romney, Northeast, in primaries, VP: Palin, West - Lost general election, although virtually every Republican probably would have lost
Boehner: Midwest

GaussLaw
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »

To be fair, it's pretty hard to win an argument with an Atlasian, regardless of your political views. Tongue

I assume you live in Bakersfield or something?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »

The paradigm here is that the areas with all of the votes (CA, NY, NJ, IL) are in the north and have for a long time resisted voting for the party that the south prefers out of cultural differences.

It's not a new idea.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

The paradigm here is that the areas with all of the votes (CA, NY, NJ, IL) are in the north and have for a long time resisted voting for the party that the south prefers out of cultural differences.

It's not a new idea.

I'd say it's a heck of a lot more complicated than that.  MS, AL and SC had no problem coexisting with VT, ME and NH politically for most of the period 1968-1988.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

It's not a new idea.

I'd say it's a heck of a lot more complicated than that.  MS, AL and SC had no problem coexisting with VT, ME and NH politically for most of the period 1968-1988.

While they did for a time jump on the same political tickets, they never "coexisted politically," and never will.

Not to mention that those weren't the states I named.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »

It's not a new idea.

While they did for a time jump on the same political tickets, they never "coexisted politically," and never will.

Not to mention that those weren't the states I named.

I know, and my only broad point is that there doesn't have to be a "South" and "North" party, even though both parties trended oppositely during the '90s and 2000s.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »

There are many leftists who would jump onto the Republican bandwagon with enthusiasm if the party returned to its radical roots.
illegaloperation

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »

To be fair, it's pretty hard to win an argument with an Atlasian, regardless of your political views. Tongue

I assume you live in Bakersfield or something?

Well, not inside the city itself, but in the same general area.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »

One of the issues is, a lot of Americans associate southern accents with ignorance and to some extent, even racism. 
DS0816
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 01:38:15 PM »

It's not a new idea.

I referred to a part of this earlier.

It evidently didn't penetrate with one other person.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 11:20:20 PM »

If the GOP is "Too Southern"? Then explain to me how the Democrats can still contest the border states? How they still have the majority of state legislatures there? (Yes there have been some reversals recently but still)?

And yet every GOP candidate since 1952 except for Gerald Ford and Mitt Romney have all come from states West of the Mississippi.

And between 1952 and 1988 (sans 1964),pretty much no western states other than Hawaii consistently voted for Democrats.

If ANYTHING, the GOP is too Mountain West and Plains-y.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »

Yes, it is a big problem. South is both an asset and a liability. And, whereas in the olden days Dems managed to maintain the clearly separate wings, the Republican party these days is too frequently viewed as the Southern White Party. Of course, Southerners do not get nominated too frequently - but that could be simply suicidal under the circumstances. But too strong magnolia flavor there is for sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies