Wages for Housework Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:37:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Wages for Housework Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wages for Housework Act  (Read 6017 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

I'd work, for one, and I'm sure you would, Mr. Hagrid.
You might, but are you seriously denying that people wouldn't quit working if the government literally payed people to do nothing?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 01:52:35 PM »

I'd work, for one, and I'm sure you would, Mr. Hagrid.

I'm not so sure. If the state was paying me enough to live comfortably without having to work a job, the long-term "fulfillment" probably wouldn't trump the short-term convenience of staying home. Again, some kind of small basic guarantee is one thing, but a large amount that makes work completely optional is just asking for trouble.

But it wouldn't be necessarily "comfortable", just enough to get by. And people will always want more money, won't they?
They can receive this handout as long as another member of their family is providing their income. So, a perfectly well-off housewife could receive this as long as her husband provides the majority of their income.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »

There already is a UBI (unless I'm misunderstanding the Basic Income Guarantee), so if you want to increase that you should amend whatever bill created that, not start a new program.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »

Why is Nixcome not enough? This has yet to be explained.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

Once we come up with a figure for this, we could simply slap a wealth tax on all income over $1,000,000,000 to fund this.
You mean a 100% income tax on all income >$1 million? Or anyone with an income >$1 million would have their total wealth taxed by a certain percentage?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 08:17:53 PM by Deus Naturae »

Once we come up with a figure for this, we could simply slap a wealth tax on all income over $1,000,000,000 to fund this.
You mean a 100% income tax on all income >$1 million? Or anyone with an income >$1 million would have their total wealth taxed by a certain percentage?

The latter, although I would definitely favor the former. Tongue
That would probably lead to a net decrease in revenue. No one would want to make $1 billion/yr. if it mean that a portion of their entire wealth would be taxed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies