Wages for Housework Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:20:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Wages for Housework Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wages for Housework Act  (Read 5970 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: August 04, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »

I'm iffy on this one. On one hand, I don't think we should subsidize people who don't work by giving them extra pocket money, but on the other hand, I don't feel that people who are at the poverty line should be abandoned. What we're really discussing here is if Nixcome is, in fact, enough? I'd lean toward no. I think we should do more, so I'm leaning towards supporting this.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »

Well, the NE has a big budget surplus that could be put to good use....
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »

On a side note here - SirNick wanted to become GM, but he can't re-register until I think still three weeks... Is there no way through a senate resolution or an executive order or anything to permit him an earlier re-registration, so he can fill that essential position?

It's a complicated issue, but you might argue that there is a loophole in the Fair Deregistration Rights Act, considering that it states a deregistered Atlasian cannot be elected. Consdering the GM is appointed and approved by the Senate and it's not technically elected by the voters, I don't know if that can be considered an actual loophole (and it could lead to another court case).

Besides, our Constitution (so well written and so infalible) doesn't talk about deregistration unless it's triggered automatically by inactivity.

We could try this then? By the time the Supreme Court will give its ruling, the two months will be long pased, and SirNick will again be a registered Atlasian? Plus, this is an emergency situation, since we have had no GM for over two weeks now, and we seem to need one every second bill... Hagrid does a splendid job, but he can't do everything, that's simply too much...

Well, I would vote to confirm SirNick since I know he could do a magnificent job (I wish he had been picked instead of Napoleon of all people) and we need a GM, but if the loophole actuallt exists this could also create a dangerous precedent (it would be to abuse the Constitution after all), and given that the past month has seen a good number of situations regarding ambiguity it has its dangers. Once again, we really need to do something about the Constitution...

Yeah you're right. It would have to be struck down by the Supreme Court afterwards, so it could never be used afterwards, but all this likely is not such a favourable opinion.
We absolutely need to. Yet, I don't think we will get a constitutional convention done with the current process, so should we propose an amendment to enable the Senate to call a Constitutional Convention, with a 2/3 vote or something?

We might try to do that, but that would mean stripping the regions of one of its powers, and that has complications as well, xD. I'll do some research to see if something can be done regarding the Constitution, because we have reached a limit in regards to ambiguity...

But, considering how much it is necessary, perhaps in a time of emergency like this, the Senate can do so, especially considering that the constitution should be a national issue. We're not going to get the kind of support necessary in the way we go about it now. For an issue such as this, the Senate should have some power.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies