Overdiagnosis of autism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:46:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Overdiagnosis of autism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is autism overdiagnosed?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Overdiagnosis of autism  (Read 4918 times)
GaussLaw
« on: July 20, 2014, 11:10:40 AM »
« edited: July 20, 2014, 11:20:39 AM by GaussLaw »

As a teacher, I have noticed in recent years that more and more students have IEPs for Aspergers syndrome, which is a variant for autism.  Given the change in medical classifications, Aspergers no longer exists and is now just classified as autism.

When I was a student in high school 15 years ago, only students who never talked, had bladder control problems, and could not function in society received an autism diagnosis.  Now, it seems like it is being given out to any young child with an intense interest and social awkwardness.    

Unfortunately, I am required to give extra time for tests and give easier exams for these students.  Many of them would do just fine without an IEP.  If not, it would be due to their laziness rather than lack of ability.  

Personally, I am not a big fan of psychiatrists in general and think that they do more harm than good.  I am curious what the opinion of the forum is about this topic.
GaussLaw
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 10:44:11 AM by GaussLaw »

My biggest problem with an autism diagnosis is that it strikes me as something that would just stunt a person mentally and emotionally.  When I was a little kid, I liked to do things that could be described as autistic today, such as memorizing every make and model of car.  I was also somewhat socially awkward.  But thank God I was born before this autism craze.  I grew out of my social awkwardness and have become a reasonably successful person.  If I had been diagnosed with autism, I think I may have given up hope and never amounted to anything.  I would love to see a world where the psychologists were taken completely out of schools.  They do way more harm than good, IMO.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies