Do you support the legalization of marijuana?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:30:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support the legalization of marijuana?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support ending the legalization of marijuana?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Do you support the legalization of marijuana?  (Read 6802 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »

What I was getting at is that it is exceedingly irritating to see "libertarians" act like they are hold the keys to every single solution posed by society's ills when, in fact, all of their positions fall entirely outside of the political mainstream - marijuana included. 
But why did you randomly bring up libertarians when you weren't even responding to one?

Also, the fact that a solution is outside of the political mainstream means it's incorrect? What kind of logic is that?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2014, 03:30:06 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2014, 03:32:56 AM by Del Tachi »

What I was getting at is that it is exceedingly irritating to see "libertarians" act like they are hold the keys to every single solution posed by society's ills when, in fact, all of their positions fall entirely outside of the political mainstream - marijuana included. 

How does marijuana legalization fall outside of the "mainstream?"

A very slim segment of people would consider that marijuana should be legalized on the basis of it being someone's "right" to do such;  I would suspect that the most support for marijuana legalization comes from people who insist that the War on Drugs just "hasn't be working."  Thus, I think that the libertarian's position - that marijuana consumption is among one of the many rights people have - is generally considered not a mainstream belief in the United States and the idea is generally not taken seriously by politicians.  However, the belief that the War on Drugs has largely failed is a more mainstream belief but I don't think anyone could correctly classify that observation as "libertarian."

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »

Yes, but with a minimum age and high taxes, similar to Tobacco/Alcohol. Marijuana is actually less dangerous than Alcohol is, so there's no reason to regulate it anymore than we do Alcohol, and our prisons need to be filled with actual criminals, not random adults who simply wanted to smoke some pot. For harder drugs, they should remain illegal, but the legal system should be truly rehabilitating the people who take them (in a "prison" solely for illegal drug users) rather than simply locking them up for a few years alongside thieves and murderers and hoping they come out a perfect person. 
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:45 AM »

Yes. It's long over due and a waste of time and resources to enforce the current marijuana laws.

I'm iffy on allowing people to smoke pot while walking on the street, I'd probably like it treated more like alcohol than cigarets.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies