Military Question:Aircraft
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Military Question:Aircraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Military Question:Aircraft  (Read 715 times)
FDRfan1985
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2014, 06:52:44 PM »

Why does the United States need three different strategic bombers?  I guess the same question can be applied to fighters and attack aircraft. 
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »

Why does the United States need three different strategic bombers?  I guess the same question can be applied to fighters and attack aircraft. 

Sales/exports
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »

Probably for different specific roles and specialization.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »

The B-52H is the old workhorse.  It doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles, but it's fairly cheap to operate compared to the other two bombers, especially when operating in a low threat environment such as Afghanistan.

The B-1B was built as a temporary measure.  At the time it was built, the B-2 was under development, but it would still be some years before it could come into service, while the B-52 was no longer capable of performing the nuclear bomber mission as it was highly vulnerable to any decent air defense.  Not nearly as expensive as the B-2, it is more capable than the B-52.  Only 100 were built, of which 90 are still in service.

The B-2 is the current top of the line bomber, coming into service just as the Cold War was ending, it was so expensive that only 21 ended up being built, with 20 remaining in service.

There is talk of building a new bomber, basically something as competent as the B-2 but with lower cost to augment and replace the B-1.  With budgets tight, I'm doubtful it'll actually get off the ground unless Putin decides to initiate Cold War II.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

Well, the military-industrial complex has certainly played a role in why we "need" 3 different strategic bombers, but as Ernest said (implicitly), the basic reason that we have 3 is that we haven't built that many of the more recent models, and the older models still serve some useful purposes.  Unlike Ernest, I'm a bit more confident that the long-range strike bomber will end up being developed (although it may be more similar to a fighter), but that's mainly due to the influence of the military-industrial complex.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »

While we certainly will get new planes, unless we get Cold War II, I expect them to be smaller drone bombers rather than larger manned bombers.  Unless we feel the need to upgrade our nuclear bomber capability, I don't see where the political will to build a new manned bomber will be found.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »

Sales/exports
Which of these bombers that he's talking about have been exported again?  Oh that's right, none of them.

The fact that we still us B52s is amazing.  What a great bird.  Actually most of our fleet is quite old.  I was at an air show this weekend, nearly everything there was older than me.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:19 AM »

Sales/exports

None of the current three U.S. Strategic Bombers have been exported. The real answer is that each of the three is specialized for different missions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies