NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:47:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people  (Read 5551 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:43 PM »

They own the building at the end of the day.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »

Someone owned the lunch counters at Woolworths as well.
Yes, they did. And the Civil Rights movement suceeded in tainting Woolworth's in the eyes of history as well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:36 PM »

Yes, they did. And the Civil Rights movement succeeded in tainting Woolworth's in the eyes of history as well.

What about those who were oppressed before we were able to see what the "eyes of history" saw?
What about the victims of crucifixion before crucifixion fell out of use?

It's not a very "nice" thing to do... but gated communities and projects are far more offensive to me.
While I personally hate gated communities for the monogamy of suburban life and the cookie-cutter houses that look the exact same, I don't see how they are offensive and segregated, especially as most working class families in my area live in them. A few “luxury” communities exist where the wealthy live, but most of my middle class friends live in gated communities. They built hundreds of them during the boom, and since most went into foreclosure during the crash, they have become even more affordable for working class families.

I also am finding that more and more normal streets (meaning communities that are not planned and have been around for years) are also gating off their streets. My own street, which is a middle class street not part of a larger neighborhood, has had a crime problem in the last few years. Every single house besides my own has been robbed, and several houses at the end of the street are abandoned and in foreclosure, and have frequently attracted vagrants who have been living in them-one of them died of a heroin overdose last year in a house and rotted for three days until the woman next store began to smell the odor. To keep the street clear of this problem, several neighbors have gotten together to build a gate on our street.

The gate will prevent three things-first of all, my street is the very eastern end of a busy road that cuts across town. We get a heavy amount of traffic coming east thinking that a bridge over the intercoastal is available like on the other main roads in town. There is no bridge, and they often speed down our street. The second goal is to keep out criminals. Burglars are simply less inclined to rob a house on our street if a gate is blocking their vehicle from entering or quickly escaping. Finally, even though it will not stop pedestrian traffic, they hope it will keep the vagrants out.

I personally don’t want the gate to be built, but why should my street not be allowed to have one? It’s not just “for everyone.” People who live on the other side of town shouldn’t be allowed to simply walk down the street and stare at the houses. They don’t have any business on our street any more than I have any on theirs. People can call this “segregation” all they want, and I personally don’t want the gate built as it sounds needlessly expensive even if all twenty families chip in together, but I can’t condemn anyone for wanting to protect their property. Is that so offensive?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »

I personally don’t want the gate to be built, but why should my street not be allowed to have one? It’s not just “for everyone.” People who live on the other side of town shouldn’t be allowed to simply walk down the street and stare at the houses.

...why?
Why not? The collective homeowners of our street decided that, and that is that.

As for a more serious reason, I prefer privacy. I don't like old women walking their dogs down the street and letting them sh*t all over. I don't like lost tourists speeding down the road. I don't like skeezy people slowly driving by each house and looking at them. I dream of retiring to a Hunter Thompsonesque compound in the center of the state where I can grow oranges in peace when I get old for this reason.

Yes, they did. And the Civil Rights movement succeeded in tainting Woolworth's in the eyes of history as well.

What about those who were oppressed before we were able to see what the "eyes of history" saw?
What about the victims of crucifixion before crucifixion fell out of use?

Do you think you would be okay with crucifixion had you lived before it had fallen out of use? The 'eyes of history' are trained precisely by people ceasing to be okay with these things while they are still going on.
That depends on how I feel about the death penalty, which I flip-flop on admittedly. Of course, I'm not one to dodge questions, so to answer you more directly, I simply don't care for the same reasons Jaichind and Clarko have listed. If this is as horrible as some people are making it out to be, than future generations will look back at it and shake their heads while my opinion remains in the shadowy corners of my own mind (and this internet forum).

Gated apartments offer a false sense of security.
This is true, and as I noted in my own post, gates offer little security other than a deterant.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »

The issue is than the street doesn't belong to its inhabitants, but to the city. It's a public space.

Look, as a mayor, I would have no issue with a street doing that, but I would force them to buy the street and they would stop receiving on street services (no garbage collection, for example, as dump trucks aren't allowed to enter private property).
If this was proposed and the inhabitants could/would collectively pay to buy the street and pay for services, I'd be a supporter of this. But seeing as our city's garbage collectors are barely any more competent than the police, I don't think much will change.

Granted, a street is public land. They have a right to be there if they want, but that still doesn’t mean that some of them are up to any good or have any reason to be there. We certainly have a right to be suspicious of them.

I look forward to getting out of South Florida and finding a nice small town up in the northern part of the state where I won't have to worry about strangers being on my street, because in those towns strangers don't equate to danger.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies