NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC approves apartment building with separate entrance for poor people  (Read 5558 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »

Wait, so you guys got rich people to subsidize affordable apartments in a brand new building in an expensive neighborhood, and you're still complaining? Of course, I haven't really seen any rational arguments against this, just vague outrage.

The developers are the ones really collecting the subsidies in the form of tax breaks- they are not really doing it out of the goodness of their heart. It doesnt matter though because I still think mixed income developments are a good idea.

There have been many good posts in the thread. I dont know the specifics of this development but as Simfan pointed out it is likely we arent really dealing with "poor" people here.  Ive read through many of the housing schemes and most have a minimum income levels that would be comfortably middle class in other areas of the country.  I think it is good for communities and sustainability to give people an opportunity to live near where they work.

The optics of this are bad but do we really need this as an example of how people are treated differently according to their wealth in this country?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies