Yosemite
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:50:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Yosemite
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yosemite  (Read 865 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2014, 05:15:58 AM by Joe Republic »

Heading there tomorrow until Thursday evening.  Have any of you been, and do you have any tips?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 07:05:15 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 08:31:34 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I've never been but my mother has. She's always talked up Vernal Falls, which she says she found subjectively more impressive than either El Capitan or Half Dome. Between those two, she liked El Capitan more. (EDIT: Originally said Bridalveil, not Vernal; had been misremembering.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:28 PM »

Until I went to college, I went to Yosemite with my family just about once every year. I never got tired of it. All the major sights are in and around the Yosemite Valley, so they're easy to access. Bridalveil Fall is indeed very nice, although I prefer Yosemite Falls for hiking. Glacier Point has spectacular views of the whole valley, and it can be accessed either by car or by a fairly long uphill hike. Hetch Hetchy is also very much worth visiting, even if it's not what it apparently used to be before it became San Francisco's municipal water supply.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »

My recommendation is to leave Bugs Bunny alone and spend some quality time with Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire at either his mansion or his yacht.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »

I've been there 5 times, so I would recommend to not go in July, it's hot and crowded. May and early June are the best months. But since you're already going...

1. Spend a whole day in the valley. Yosemite Falls is pretty impressive, and make sure to go to Vernal Falls as well. It'll be crowded, so expect it to be like a city park.

2. The view from Glacier Point is impressive but it's a long and windy road to get there. I think it can be skipped to spend more time in the valley.

3. The Mariposa Grove is a must see. Again, it may be crowded, but after the grove, head over to Wawona and head east on.. I think it's Chihuahua Falls road or something like that. At the end are some restrooms where you can change into swimming stuff, and by hiking down to the river you can find some peaceful quiet and maybe some deer visits.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:09:45 AM »

Nevada and Vernal falls were nice, although a lot of people walk there.
There's a nice overlook above the valley.
The sequioa grove is nice.
The upper road in the northeastern part of the park isn't so crowded.
There's also Hetch Hatchy, which John Muir is probably still pissed about it being a dam. There was a huge fire in that area recently.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »

So, how was your trip and what did you end up seeing?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:15:34 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 05:17:24 AM by Joe Republic »

Thanks for all the advice, guys!  Except Ernest of course; I've experienced long-time family pets being put to sleep that were more amusing than your jokes.

We came into the park from the east on Tuesday afternoon via Tioga Pass, stopping at the Tuolomne Meadows visitor center not long before they closed.  Knowing that finding a vacant campground with no reservation on an evening in July was going to be a sh[Inks]show, but luckily we found a spot at Yosemite Creek.  The drive to that campground was about 30 minutes off-roading (in a Chevy Cobalt), which was such a bitch that we knew there was no way in hell we were going to take that road again until we left the next day, so we spent Tuesday evening just camping.

Wednesday we packed up, drove the sonofabitch road back out and straight up to White Wolf campground, found a spot, pitched tent and then got moving straight down to Yosemite Valley, which was still an hour's drive away.  We rented bikes at Curry Village and rode them over to Mirror Lake and Happy Isles, then back to Curry to drop them off again.  I took the option to test out my new GoPro by strapping it my head for the bike ride - I still haven't even watched that back yet.  Overall this bike ride was probably my highlight of the trip.  AAA***** would recommend

After that we drove up to the Tunnel View for the obligatory Photo In Front Of Yosemite Valley, and then further up all the way to Glacier Point just in time for an epic sunset.  From there we also kind of cheated and got to see Vernal and Nevada Falls up close, by way of one of those public binocular stands.  Saved a hike, at least?  After sundown we drove back to White Wolf for the night.

This morning we drove back to the Valley to check out Bridalveil, which unfortunately is kind of a bust because I'm told that this time of year the fall is mostly dried up to barely a trickle.  No mind, we drove over to check out the main visitor's center and store and stuff, and then I took a quick dip in the river just under El Capitan.  Then home to Vegas.

All in all a pretty awesome trip.  Oh and out of the approximately twenty thousand other tourists we saw there was only about four black people.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »

Thanks for all the advice, guys!  Except Ernest of course; I've experienced long-time family pets being put to sleep that were more amusing than your jokes.

Isn't deriving amusement from the death of animals one of the warning signs that you might be a redneck?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 12:06:40 PM by memphis »

Yeah, black people are not into outdoorsy stuff. They much prefer city nightlife/hotels/restaurants/dressing up and going out/etc. Europeans, on the other hand were everywhere at Yosemite when I visited. Impressive when you think about how far the trip is for them.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »

I love going there, my family goes there every year.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »

Isn't deriving amusement from the death of animals one of the warning signs that you might be a redneck?

I think you just proved Joe's point Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

Yeah, black people are not into outdoorsy stuff. They much prefer city nightlife/hotels/restaurants/dressing up and going out/etc. Europeans, on the other hand were everywhere at Yosemite when I visited. Impressive when you think about how far the trip is for them.

That's pretty much what I figured.  It was just really interesting to witness; it was probably about 75% white people (of which about half were European), 15% Asian, 10% Hispanic, and basically zero blacks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »

You didn't see buses full of Japanese tourists? They're everywhere.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »

No, I don't think I saw a single one, in fact.  Plenty of individual tourists, but no busloads of them.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

Just stop.  You're trolling.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »

Just stop.  You're trolling.

Nah.  I'm not hanging around at any bridges, nor have I ever eaten goat.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »

You didn't see buses full of Japanese tourists? They're everywhere.
I have heard this cliche about a lot of places, but the only time I have ever seen this was when I was in DC. I guess going to Yellowstone is like an American going to Mt. Fuji.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »

It turns out my observation wasn't completely off: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/30/local/la-me-yosemite-diversity-20111030

Less than 1% of all tourists.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies