Which is more liberal: Alberta or Colorado? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:44:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which is more liberal: Alberta or Colorado? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is more liberal: Alberta or Colorado?
Alberta

Colorado

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Which is more liberal: Alberta or Colorado?  (Read 4440 times)
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

I'll just leave this here - make of it what you will.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »

I'm not buying that study. Southern Alberta more left wing than the North? Calgary more left wing than Edmonton. Yeah, ok.

Those numbers are within the margin of error of each other, so the differences are negligible.  I should point out that Albertan conservatism in the modern day has a lot more basis in fiscal conservatism than in social conservatism.  As for the North vs. South part, it could be true depending on their regional definitions.  It's quite likely that their definition of 'South' could include places like Red Deer, Lethbridge, and Medicine Hat.  Yes, rural southern Alberta is deeply conservative, but the south also has a a much greater urban population.  If you lump St. Albert, Fort Saskatchewan, and Sherwood Park in with Edmonton, then the North lacks an urban population comparable to the south's.

Regardless, there are some issues (support of same-sex marriage being a key one) where Alberta is clearly to the left of Colorado.

Alberta does seem quite similar to Colorado in many ways.  I think both are left/libertarian on social issues.  Doesn't Calgary have a Muslim mayor?

Interesting that most Albertans support the death penalty.  Do you think it has majority support in other provinces?

Yes, Calgary has Muslim mayor.  A pretty awesome one at that.

He is indeed very awesome. 

As for the death penalty thing, I would imagine that it does, at least in the Western provinces if not elsewhere.  I don't have polling data to back that up though.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:29:37 AM »

Funny I recall quite well "fiscally conservative not socially conservative" Alberta dragged kicking and screaming into accepting same-sex marriage as the law of the land in Canada.  But of course that was a decade ago and now many people have accepted it and realized the sky wouldn't fall, plus there's been demographic changes etc.  

On the Vote Compass I don't see much of a north/south difference on abortion (the Mormons in the south are balanced out by evangelicals further north I suppose?).  Only inner city Calgary and inner city Edmonton are notably more pro-choice than the Canadian average.

http://votecompass.com/results/ca-2011/abortion/

There's a Canadian pro-choice majority, but 80% is way higher than most polling I've seen and we don't what they mean.  Here's an Angus Reid poll from 2008:

http://www.angusreidglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/archived-pdf/2008.06.20_Abortion.pdf

Ralph Klein was a big part of our little tantrum over SSM a decade ago.  As for abortion, I'm guessing that 'abortion choice' in the Lethbridge college poll would encompass those who favour no/few restrictions on abortion, as well as the majority of those who favour legal abortion with some restrictions.

Edmonton-Strathcona = the Boulder of Alberta?

Which one - provincial or federal?  Federally, yes.  Provincially, it's certainly the most left-wing economically.  Socially, ridings like Calgary-Mountain View and Edmonton-Centre are probably to Edmonton-Strathcona's left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies