Subsidies through Healthcare.gov may be illegal.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:30:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Subsidies through Healthcare.gov may be illegal.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Subsidies through Healthcare.gov may be illegal.  (Read 4935 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »

Hilarious. You can't make this up.

Link

Watch Obamacare Architect Jonathan Gruber Admit in 2012 That Subsidies Were Limited to State-Run Exchanges (Updated With Another Admission)

What’s important to remember politically about this is if you're a state and you don’t set up an exchange, that means your citizens don't get their tax credits—but your citizens still pay the taxes that support this bill. So you’re essentially saying [to] your citizens you’re going to pay all the taxes to help all the other states in the country. I hope that that's a blatant enough political reality that states will get their act together and realize there are billions of dollars at stake here in setting up these exchanges. But, you know, once again the politics can get ugly around this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

And Inks, this clearly fails the 2 prong test of whether the courts should intervene with an executive decision since the testimony of those who wrote the damn law said this ruling was not the intent of their language.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with that (I still have yet to read the whole case), but that's different than what you seemed to be arguing at first, which was that the court system should always leave statutory interpretation to the executive branch.  You can disagree with how the D.C. Circuit applied the test, but your first post seemed to be attacking the use of the test itself.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »

Well yes, there is now a circuit split but the 4th circuit one is unlikely to change position whereas there's likely to be an en banc review in the DC circuit. That, in my view, will likely lead to a reversal and no split. Stay tuned.

And this is precisely why Obama's nominees were not getting approved for the DC circuit   

And exactly why Harry Reid exercised the nuclear option. This will be one of the first major tests of the new 7-4 Democratic-appointed majority on the DC Circuit. Two of the three judges that heard this case have senior status. I don't know if they sit on the en banc panel as well, but it's basically irrelevant in this case since those two would effectively cancel each other out. If the DC Circuit does grant an en banc hearing, I bet they overturn this case. That would almost certainly delay any possible action from SCOTUS, as they generally don't take cases where there's no split among the circuit courts.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:58 PM »

Can't paste an excerpt here because the whole article is worth reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2014/07/29/senate-documents-and-interviews-undercut-bombshell-lawsuit-against-obamacare/?hpid=z2
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but that panel's ruling has been overturned, as the entire DC Circuit will hear the case:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think the fact they vacated the 3-judge panel's ruling bodes well for a favourable ruling from the entire DC Circuit Court. If anyone doubts the significance of the nuclear option now, here you go. There's no way this would've happened without the post-nuclear option appointees. It doesn't get a lot of attention, but the judiciary has changed considerably under President Obama.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies