If the mighty Hillary doesn't run.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:03:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If the mighty Hillary doesn't run.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who is the Democrat frontrunner if Clinton doesn't run?
Biden

Schweitzer

Sanders

Manchin

Webb

Dean

Warner

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: If the mighty Hillary doesn't run.  (Read 1989 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

A year ago I was convinced Hillary wouldn't run, but now I'm pretty sure she will. I don't want her to, because I really want Kirsten Gillibrand to run, but I guess I'll have to go for Schweitzer, Sanders or Dean.

Well if she does she does. We talked earlier and said that one of us will be eating our words. Just as your gut tells you she will, mine says she won't.

I think you're confusing him with me. Tongue
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2014, 01:52:35 PM by TheHawk »

He also cut taxes, supports the death penalty, strict drug penalties, etc. He is far from a hardcore liberal, at least. Moderate liberal is my diagnosis, but still too moderate for the Obama Democrats.

No...you still aren't getting it. On the whole, Schweitzer is far to the left of Obama, Clinton, and their constituencies. He just appears as a gun-toting red stater because that's his image. To classify him as a blue dog is lazy; look beyond the surface

Explain this http://www.ontheissues.org/Brian_Schweitzer.htm it came off as moderate to me

...Clearly no argument will steer you away from your bizarre and inaccurate insistence that Brian Schweitzer is a moderate, so I'm going to stop now. If you really think that someone who supports single-payer health care, supports medicare for all, routinely lambasts corporate influence on government, dismisses Obama and Clinton as corporate shills and war hawks, opposes big drug companies, wants to return to trust busting, opposes the military industrial complex and drone strikes, called on a withdrawal from Afghanistan DURING the troop surge and opposes the oil wars, opposes the PATRIOT Act & REAL ID, supports fair trade, and wants to expand collective bargaining is to the right of Obama and Clinton just because he opposes some forms of gun control, supports Keystone XL, and wears a bolo tie, then your conception of political ideologies is clearly warped and not worth arguing against. Political ideology is not 1-dimensional.

And you're too caught up in your own world to have ANY type of discussion about beliefs if they don't match perfectly to what you think. I admit I have some weird ideas and my biases, but at least I listen and some times admit the other side has a point.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

A year ago I was convinced Hillary wouldn't run, but now I'm pretty sure she will. I don't want her to, because I really want Kirsten Gillibrand to run, but I guess I'll have to go for Schweitzer, Sanders or Dean.

Well if she does she does. We talked earlier and said that one of us will be eating our words. Just as your gut tells you she will, mine says she won't.

I think you're confusing him with me. Tongue

Well this is embarrassing. I saw a red Pennsylvania and a Tom Wolf sign. -_-
NHLiberal

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »

He also cut taxes, supports the death penalty, strict drug penalties, etc. He is far from a hardcore liberal, at least. Moderate liberal is my diagnosis, but still too moderate for the Obama Democrats.

No...you still aren't getting it. On the whole, Schweitzer is far to the left of Obama, Clinton, and their constituencies. He just appears as a gun-toting red stater because that's his image. To classify him as a blue dog is lazy; look beyond the surface

Explain this http://www.ontheissues.org/Brian_Schweitzer.htm it came off as moderate to me

...Clearly no argument will steer you away from your bizarre and inaccurate insistence that Brian Schweitzer is a moderate, so I'm going to stop now. If you really think that someone who supports single-payer health care, supports medicare for all, routinely lambasts corporate influence on government, dismisses Obama and Clinton as corporate shills and war hawks, opposes big drug companies, wants to return to trust busting, opposes the military industrial complex and drone strikes, called on a withdrawal from Afghanistan DURING the troop surge and opposes the oil wars, opposes the PATRIOT Act & REAL ID, supports fair trade, and wants to expand collective bargaining is to the right of Obama and Clinton just because he opposes some forms of gun control, supports Keystone XL, and wears a bolo tie, then your conception of political ideologies is clearly warped and not worth arguing against. Political ideology is not 1-dimensional.

And you're too caught up in your own world to have ANY type of discussion about beliefs if they don't match perfectly to what you think. I admit I have some weird ideas and my biases, but at least I listen and some times admit the other side has a point.

That's not true at all. We have been going back and forth the entire thread and you haven't raised a single reason as to why Schweitzer is a moderate except repeating it over and over and an on the issues link that meant nothing. Meanwhile, I have made it very clear why I think Schweitzer is far from a moderate. I'm happy to debate and question my assertions, but at a point it becomes a pointless exercise. Feel free though to address my long long list of areas in which Schweitzer is to the left of the mainstream Democrats.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »

Ridiculous poll options.
illegaloperation

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »

Yup, since the obvious choices aren't even options.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »

Other than Warren and O'Malley, I couldn't think of any likely Democratic candidates that are missing.  Biden and Warner seemed like plausible choices in their own right.
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

Other than Warren and O'Malley, I couldn't think of any likely Democratic candidates that are missing.  Biden and Warner seemed like plausible choices in their own right.

Its also missing Kirsten Gillebrand and Andrew Cuomo. 
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »

Its also missing Kirsten Gillebrand and Andrew Cuomo. 

Okay, I guess both of them should have been included.
illegaloperation

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »

It's also missing:

Bill Nelson
Jeanne Shaheen
Tim Kaine
Deval Patrick
Jay Nixon
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

Joe Biden will run, Joe Biden will win and Joe Biden will be the greatest goddamn President of the United States.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »

It's also missing:

Bill Nelson
Jeanne Shaheen

Tim Kaine
Deval Patrick
Jay Nixon

Huh
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »

Crap I completely forgot about O'Malley
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »

Someone like Warner or Gillibrand will be strongarmed into running I'd reckon Patrick would consider a run as well. I don't think the party establishment would be comfortable with Biden being the nominee.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »

Just made a new poll
NHLiberal

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Also, any particular reason the poll question asks for the "Democrat frontrunner" rather than the "Democratic frontrunner"?
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »

Also, any particular reason the poll question asks for the "Democrat frontrunner" rather than the "Democratic frontrunner"?
Republicans are obsessed with using "Democrat" where "Democratic" would work better for some bizarre reason.
NHLiberal

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »

Republicans are obsessed with using "Democrat" where "Democratic" would work better for some bizarre reason.

I know. It's a degrading smear tactic and I sought to call him out on it.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:36 PM »

I prefer the term "Democratic" myself in the context we're discussing, but is "Democrat" really that much of a smear tactic?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

I would vote for Schweitzer over most of the GOP field.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

If HRC doesn't run, Biden becomes the immediate frontrunner.  That doesn't mean he'll win the nomination, but he becomes the frontrunner.  How could he not?  Indeed, the Democratic Party has a stake in Biden becoming the frontrunner under those circumstances; for him not to be would be viewed as a repudiation of Obama, and the Democrats can't have that.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »

Good to see no one was stupid enough to vote for Manchin or Webb.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

Now we're just grasping for straws. It's a term, not an insult, Mr. Ventura
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies