If the mighty Hillary doesn't run. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If the mighty Hillary doesn't run. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the Democrat frontrunner if Clinton doesn't run?
Biden

Schweitzer

Sanders

Manchin

Webb

Dean

Warner

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: If the mighty Hillary doesn't run.  (Read 2002 times)
NHLiberal

« on: July 22, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »

Schweitzer and Manchin are too moderate  

And no, Warren and Gillibrand said they're not running, either, so get it out of your heads.

That's because she believes Hillary will run and is endorsing her. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Gillibrand wouldn't run if Hillary takes a pass; in fact, I'd handicap her chances of running in that scenario as greater than 50%
NHLiberal

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2014, 10:44:55 AM by NHLiberal »

Schweitzer and Manchin are too moderate  

And no, Warren and Gillibrand said they're not running, either, so get it out of your heads.

That's because she believes Hillary will run and is endorsing her. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Gillibrand wouldn't run if Hillary takes a pass; in fact, I'd handicap her chances of running in that scenario as greater than 50%

Okay. What do I not get? They are Blue Dogs to the core.

Supporting gun rights, being from a red state, and opposing environmental regulations alone do not a blue dog make. Schweitzer supports a single payer health care system, labor unions, and fair trade, opposes the oil wars, and has slammed Obama and the Clintons for being economically corporatist/not left enough and hawkish on foreign policy. He is far to the left of the Democratic Party and mainstream Democrats at least 90% of the time. Also http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-green/top-ten-things-that-make-_b_3162698.html

Manchin is the definition of a blue dog; Schweitzer could not be less of one.

I'm not saying Schweitzer is at all a legitimate contender for the 2016 nomination, but your reason for that could not be more off.
NHLiberal

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

He also cut taxes, supports the death penalty, strict drug penalties, etc. He is far from a hardcore liberal, at least. Moderate liberal is my diagnosis, but still too moderate for the Obama Democrats.

No...you still aren't getting it. On the whole, Schweitzer is far to the left of Obama, Clinton, and their constituencies. He just appears as a gun-toting red stater because that's his image. To classify him as a blue dog is lazy; look beyond the surface
NHLiberal

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:26 PM »

Biden runs, and wins the nomination.

grandpa Biden is not going to win the nomination

Uncle Joe is going to win the nomination if Hillary opts not to run.  The last time the incumbent VP lost his party's Presidential nomination was 1948. 

And the last time a Secretary of State won his/her party's nomination was 1884. Not relevant.
NHLiberal

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »

He also cut taxes, supports the death penalty, strict drug penalties, etc. He is far from a hardcore liberal, at least. Moderate liberal is my diagnosis, but still too moderate for the Obama Democrats.

No...you still aren't getting it. On the whole, Schweitzer is far to the left of Obama, Clinton, and their constituencies. He just appears as a gun-toting red stater because that's his image. To classify him as a blue dog is lazy; look beyond the surface

Explain this http://www.ontheissues.org/Brian_Schweitzer.htm it came off as moderate to me

...Clearly no argument will steer you away from your bizarre and inaccurate insistence that Brian Schweitzer is a moderate, so I'm going to stop now. If you really think that someone who supports single-payer health care, supports medicare for all, routinely lambasts corporate influence on government, dismisses Obama and Clinton as corporate shills and war hawks, opposes big drug companies, wants to return to trust busting, opposes the military industrial complex and drone strikes, called on a withdrawal from Afghanistan DURING the troop surge and opposes the oil wars, opposes the PATRIOT Act & REAL ID, supports fair trade, and wants to expand collective bargaining is to the right of Obama and Clinton just because he opposes some forms of gun control, supports Keystone XL, and wears a bolo tie, then your conception of political ideologies is clearly warped and not worth arguing against. Political ideology is not 1-dimensional.
NHLiberal

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »

Explain this http://www.ontheissues.org/Brian_Schweitzer.htm it came off as moderate to me

...Clearly no argument will steer you away from your bizarre and inaccurate insistence that Brian Schweitzer is a moderate, so I'm going to stop now. If you really think that someone who supports single-payer health care, supports medicare for all, routinely lambasts corporate influence on government, dismisses Obama and Clinton as corporate shills and war hawks, opposes big drug companies, wants to return to trust busting, opposes the military industrial complex and drone strikes, called on a withdrawal from Afghanistan DURING the troop surge and opposes the oil wars, opposes the PATRIOT Act & REAL ID, supports fair trade, and wants to expand collective bargaining is to the right of Obama and Clinton just because he opposes some forms of gun control, supports Keystone XL, and wears a bolo tie, then your conception of political ideologies is clearly warped and not worth arguing against. Political ideology is not 1-dimensional.

And you're too caught up in your own world to have ANY type of discussion about beliefs if they don't match perfectly to what you think. I admit I have some weird ideas and my biases, but at least I listen and some times admit the other side has a point.

That's not true at all. We have been going back and forth the entire thread and you haven't raised a single reason as to why Schweitzer is a moderate except repeating it over and over and an on the issues link that meant nothing. Meanwhile, I have made it very clear why I think Schweitzer is far from a moderate. I'm happy to debate and question my assertions, but at a point it becomes a pointless exercise. Feel free though to address my long long list of areas in which Schweitzer is to the left of the mainstream Democrats.
NHLiberal

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Also, any particular reason the poll question asks for the "Democrat frontrunner" rather than the "Democratic frontrunner"?
NHLiberal

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:27:15 PM »

Also, any particular reason the poll question asks for the "Democrat frontrunner" rather than the "Democratic frontrunner"?
Republicans are obsessed with using "Democrat" where "Democratic" would work better for some bizarre reason.

I know. It's a degrading smear tactic and I sought to call him out on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies