Should the Supreme Court be popularly elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:17:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Should the Supreme Court be popularly elected?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the SCOTUS, instead of being appointed, be elected directly by the people in a nonpartisan manner?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Should the Supreme Court be popularly elected?  (Read 9347 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:46:34 PM »

Self-explanatory
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »

Absolutely not.  SCOTUS should be able to make potentially unpopular decisions without fear of political repercussions.

I would support requiring justices to retire after 20 years, however.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »

No, that would undermine the judicial branch. I don't think that they should have to appeal to the electorate for votes. The Court needs room to make rulings that don't necessarily please the public, as the above poster said.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »

That'd be one of the worst things that could happen to the judicial branch.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »

No, and there's no way to be elected in a nonpartisan manner.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:08 PM »

Absolutely not.  SCOTUS should be able to make potentially unpopular decisions without fear of political repercussions.

The thing is, this Supreme Court takes that the wrong way and issues Citizens United, which 80% of the country realizes what a terrible ruling it is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »

God no.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 06:44:23 AM »

SCOTUS should have regular 18 year terms, so that one comes up for appointment every odd-numbered year. Long enough for them to be largely insulated from politics, but removes the perverse incentive to just appoint the youngest people possible.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:24:34 AM »

The thing is, this Supreme Court takes that the wrong way and issues Citizens United, which 80% of the country realizes what a terrible ruling it is.

But there have been times in the past where they made sweeping rulings beneficial to the country that other branches couldn't have gotten away with as easily (I'm thinking of the civil rights decisions during the Warren Court, but I'm sure there are other instances).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 08:19:54 AM by Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do »

I prefer something like the German model myself.

Half of the judges of the Constitutional Court are elected by the Bundesrat, the other half by a committee of the Bundestag. Election requires a two-third majority in the respective body and judges are limited to a single 12-year term.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »

Of course not. Don't be foolish.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:49 AM »

No, judges aren't politicians, and shouldn't be elected like them. Its unfortunate that they're appointed by partisan presidents and partisan senate members, but running a campaign to get elected would politicize things way more than they are now.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »

Definitely not. Electing judges is a terrible idea that should not exist anywhere. I'd be supportive of a single 18-year term per Justice, but not much beyond that. It's very dangerous to allow the judiciary to be subject to the political whims of the general public.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »

I'd prefer taking a bullet to my mouth than having an elected high court.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »

Definitely not. Introducing election would only make the Supreme Court more responsive to bourgeois interests, because the only people capable of running are people that are fantastically rich and allied with the two bourgeois parties.

I would, however, support ending the ability of the President to nominate Justices to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court should be chosen by lot, in the same way that we select juries presently. We should just convert the entire court into one National Jury, which will have the power of judicial review in reserve to strike down acts of Congress that adversely effect working class people. Judges in general should be gotten rid of throughout the criminal justice system and the power to judge given to juries and juries alone. The Jury is the most democratic institution in American society and should be empowered insofar as possible; it's method of selection should be the method by which we select most government officials, with exceptions for extremely specialized fields, but even in those cases, the elected person in question should serve a short term and be subject to recall if he or she does not fulfill the will of those who elect them and be paid only the average workers' wage.

Lifetime tenure for the Court should be abolished as well. No one should ever serve more than 12 years on that body, and they shouldn't be eligible to serve again upon the expiration of that term and should be banned for life after their term from offering legal advice to any entity in society. They should be provided with a generous pension and expense account, though.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »

I think that a higher priority should be to allow for the popular election of the President.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »

Given today's electoral climate, they'd have to raise lot's of money. Probably mostly from corporations....

That's why I voted no.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 12:46:09 AM »

No, because otherwise you'd end up like Iowa, where the Iowa Supreme Court made a unanimous, correct constitutional ruling on gay marriage, and in the retention election the next year, special interests bought the election to oust them.

Term limits, on the other hand, might be in order.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 02:32:46 AM »

But there have been times in the past where they made sweeping rulings beneficial to the country that other branches couldn't have gotten away with as easily (I'm thinking of the civil rights decisions during the Warren Court, but I'm sure there are other instances).

The Warren Court was almost half a century ago. It was almost 30 years after Loving v. Virginia before interracial marriage was as popular as gay marriage is today. This court is way behind the times.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 03:24:26 AM »

The Warren Court was almost half a century ago. It was almost 30 years after Loving v. Virginia before interracial marriage was as popular as gay marriage is today. This court is way behind the times.

Perhaps so, but that is not always a negative occurrence. The Supreme Court and judicial branch at large shouldn't be easily swayed by public opinion in the way the legislative and executive branch are. Lagging behind the majority's will could very well be a consequence, but it is possible that this attribute of the Court could prevent some potentially damaging rulings on the future. On the other hand, who's to say that the successor to the Roberts Court won't make positive sweeping rulings in a quick fashion independent of how the public feels? I feel that this issue cuts both ways.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies