Anime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:26:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anime
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Anime  (Read 5199 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 07:15:24 PM »

Huge anime fan right here. Smiley

I grew up on the Dragonball series, Sailor Moon, Gundam, just the ones off the top of my head.

And yes I'm sooooooo geeked about the Sailor Moon revival. About freakin time. Grin

And it makes me sad, to think back to the early 2000s, and remember just how many channels showed anime regularly. Not so much these days. Sad
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2014, 07:04:37 AM »

Watched Neon Genesis Evangelion earlier this year and loved it. Been obsessed with Gainax ever since. Very surprised no one else mentioned the studio except for one guy who said he didn't like it.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »

Ooh, this is back! Has anyone here ever watched Mushishi? It's absolutely incredible.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »

Another watcher here

Fullmetal Alchemist (the original version), Digimon,  Guren Lagann, and Cowboy Bebop seriously

Fairy Tail, old Pokemon, and Yu Yu Hakusho as more of guilty pleasures.

FMAB was merely okay in comparison to the original one.

Usually I look for where the Funimation has dubbed and watch that, because the cast used are always a pleasure to hear.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »

Fullmetal Alchemist

FMAB was merely okay in comparison to the original one.

I like you.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »

Was anyone else following The Legend of Korra? Not technically anime, but whatever. That ending...Shocked
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »

Was anyone else following The Legend of Korra? Not technically anime, but whatever. That ending...Shocked

I didn't follow it so much as watch the whole season yesterday. Damn good note to end the show on, although it's hard for anything to top the original.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »

I like anime a lot. I recently watched Attack on Titan and am currently watching Guilty Crown.

I've only seen the first season of that. I was rather disappointed in comparison to Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »

I don't think of myself as an "anime fan," but there are a few anime series/movies I like:

Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Attack on Titan
Evangelion
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Berserk
A few Studio Ghibli films

I originally gave anime a chance because I liked Japanese video games like Final Fantasy and Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »

I've only seen the first season of that. I was rather disappointed in comparison to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The first season of Korra is flawed, the second season is trash (with the exception of a very good two-part episode in the middle), and the third and fourth are actually pretty good. The third is probably the best the franchise has been since the second season of ATLA.

The last scene of the series was exceptionally daring in a way that many people were hoping for but literally nobody was actually expecting. Anybody who says they expected it is lying.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »

The first season of Korra is flawed, the second season is trash (with the exception of a very good two-part episode in the middle), and the third and fourth are actually pretty good. The third is probably the best the franchise has been since the second season of ATLA.

The last scene of the series was exceptionally daring in a way that many people were hoping for but literally nobody was actually expecting. Anybody who says they expected it is lying.

Interesting to know. One of the big things that peeved me about the first season of Korra was that the villains were really overpowered and seemed to dominate most of the battles throughout the season. I thought that Avatar did a really good job of balancing that and allowing both sides a healthy share of victories.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »

Interesting to know. One of the big things that peeved me about the first season of Korra was that the villains were really overpowered and seemed to dominate most of the battles throughout the season. I thought that Avatar did a really good job of balancing that and allowing both sides a healthy share of victories.

If that was what bothered you then I'm not sure the rest of the show is going to come across as much of an improvement.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2014, 01:55:06 AM »

LEGEND. OF. KORRA. IS. NOT. ANIME!

And nor is Avatar,...they are proudly Western Animation with some homage. Anime is comparatively much more limited in animation.

And anyway Book 1,like FMAB was fast-paced mediocrity that used artificially high stakes. It had great plot, but Team Avatar..the HEART of the show were very very flat. This made Mako look like a complete [expletive], Bolin and idiot, and Asami an unrealistic saint. Amon 's reveal was stupid. And frankly Tarrlok was severely underused.

Book 2 like 2003 FMA was far deeper and more human, yes the villain was anti-climactically treated, but it allowed everything else to expand. And it introduced Verrick, who I swear reminds me of Greed [Brotherhood version]. It really got into the Spiritual stuff. And the finale is still unmatched in epicness.

I agree about Book 3 being the absolute best, even if Zaheer and Co. failed to get much screentime at the beginning, but the plot threads weren't well resolved, one of them was even completely ditched until Book 4, and it introduced waaay too many characters. The pacing is the best here (Books 2 and 4 were too slow at the beginning, and Book 1 was too fast)

Book 4 was better than Book 1 and 2, but not 3. Like Book 2, it's the side-stuff (Old Toph, Korra's journey to curing the poison, Bolin and Verrick's stuff) and not Kuvira that make it interesting. Kuvira was handily the most boring villain at the end, even though she started off excellently. It's sort of like Book 3 in ATLA, couldn't live up. The finale ultimately just didn't feel like any real series end, just like a season end.

Books 2 and asked important stuff, it left some things of little consequence open. It felt like a real end though

Book 1 wrapped everything up, too nicely, but well enough that had no Books come after it could've worked.

But Book 4 just failed at that.

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

Am I the only one that prefers FMAB over the original?
JRP1994

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »

Any other Rorouni Kenshin fans?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »

where would one watch LoGH?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »

No.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 12:32:19 AM »

@FreedomHawk: Oh no, people that don't disparage the original seem to be a rarity these days...if they even remember it.

Honestly I'm quite shocked there was anyone else here who thought similarly.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »

I have sort of fallen into both Korra and FMAB mid way and therefore it is hard for me to form an opinion. The latter was not out for another year when we cancelled our Dish service in 2008 and ATLA had just finished up at that point. I am glad to see that Cowboy Bebop reruns are running on adult swim and also getting to see the real episodes of Hellsing Ultimate after discovering the abridged versions last year (I am at half mast, I need this...ah Houston, we have no problems!).

FMA episode 5 sucked me into anime back in the summer of 2005. That and InuYasha episode 16, both of which aired that night. And yes, InuYasha: Final Act is terrible solely because of Kagome's voice. Really, they couldn't get her to do won last gig to finish out the series. Plus it was too rushed.

I would say the vast majority hold that view because the orginal deviated from the manga so much and FMAB was rather well received at least from my "at a distance" knowledge of such.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »

One time I watched Sword Art Online. Looked pretty good. Then my friends made me turn it off because they wanted to watch the new Carrie remake.

Now I put on anime if they're too loud.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 12:58:35 AM »

And it makes me sad, to think back to the early 2000s, and remember just how many channels showed anime regularly. Not so much these days. Sad

The last one just went off the air in September, in terms of broadcast television. CBS sold out in 2012 and CW finally did so this past fall.

As far back as 2008, Fox dropped 4KidsTV and Colors TV dropped its Funimation block (I never would have gotten into Dragon Ball Anything were it not for that. Ironically, I got into it from the beginning like most Japanese kids did, unlike most Americans who started at the middle with Z). I also saw some of Yuyu Hakusho courtesy of that block as well.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »

One time I watched Sword Art Online. Looked pretty good.

It's not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »

One time I watched Sword Art Online. Looked pretty good. Then my friends made me turn it off because they wanted to watch the new Carrie remake.

Now I put on anime if they're too loud.

I thought it had a promising start, but it derailed fairly quickly and the ALO arc was terrible. I've thought about watching the current GGO arc in Sword Art Online II, but the spirit hasn't moved me.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 04:04:10 AM »

Huge fan, finished Steins;Gate as my last anime fully watched though. I've actually been catching up with Naruto recently, just because my childhood is encouraging me to see it through to the end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »

No, your opinion is the majority. I made my comment because it's fairly rare to see someone who prefers the original.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies