Anime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:25:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anime
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Anime  (Read 5196 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

Any of you watch anime? I can't get enough of Attack on Titan and others.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed Attack on Titan.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:23:43 PM »

I watch anime constantly, helps me keep my Japanese passable.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2014, 05:28:39 PM by TheHawk »

Also liked
Hellsing Ultimate
FMA:B
One Piece
Blue Exorcist
Cowboy Bebop to an extent
DBZ (and Kai)
SAO
Soul Eater
Bleach
Anything by Miyazaki
Really looking forward to Parasyte

Ironically, Naruto, which I hate, introduced me to the concept of anime
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »

I'm not into anime as much as I used to be, but I still occasionally enjoy rewatches of FMA (my favorite), Death Note, and Cowboy Bebop.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

I tried watching Attack on Titan and just could not get into it.

I like anime as much as live action and better than American animation, but I don't think it's inherently better or anything. I have a few series that I thoroughly love such as Gurren Lagann and Eureka Seven, plus a some others that are solid that I've seen once like Death Note and Eden of the East, but I can't stand some of the larger, more popular series such as Naruto or FMA. I kinda like Miyazaki, but find Studio Ghibli movies extremely overrated. I prefer The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Five Centimeters Per Second, personally.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

The great thing about Shingeki no Kyojin (whose English title was rendered by somebody who doesn't understand how English prepositions work) is the relative unconcern for stereotype in the characterization, and that's carried me most of the way through it so far, but its pervasiveness has become a little annoying, and some of the fundamental assumptions of the narrative mechanic are a good bit more cynical (and, obviously, militaristic) than I'm comfortable with.

Finding Studio Ghibli overrated is fine, and liking 5 Centimeters per Second is obviously fine, but preferring it to Studio Ghibli movies sort of stymies me. It's not objectively wrong, of course, just really alien to my tastes. Have you seen the live-action eighties The Girl Who Leapt through Time? It's done by the same director as the seventies gonzo horror classic House but it's actually really good and heartfelt.

Right now I'm watching Sailor Moon Crystal. I've been watching less and less new anime recently, except for movies, but I've also been revisiting some older series, especially space opera. I'd love to sit down and really go through Galaxy Express 999 or Space Pirate Captain Harlock some time soon, or even The Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Martian Successor Nadesico again (provided I can adequately ignore the existence of the sequel movie).

I know for a fact that Mung Beans is a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think it has some of the same conceptual/ideological flaws as Shingeki no Kyojin but in general I like it a lot. Has anybody else seen or heard of it?
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:35 AM »

I still watch Cowboy Bebop. Cheesy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 01:22:17 AM »

Like Nathan, I'm following Sailor Moon Crystal at the moment. But beyond that, nothing really. I don't watch much anime, but it's not specific to that medium; I just don't watch much TV or film or whatever in general.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 01:50:02 AM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=298qdhTi4b0
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »

I finished Attack On Titan two months ago and I'm a disgustingly dedicated Space Dandy fan. That's about all.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 04:33:13 AM »

I'm so glad I'm not the only person here who knows about this.

He also has a song called 'Goku'.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 06:27:09 AM »

Like any art form it has it's good and it's not so good. I have no real time for series though, not since I was 16 or so. I really enjoyed the anime version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time which I watched recently but other than that, it's not something I tend to follow anymore.

I was raised however, being the Eurotrash child of a certain age that I am, on 80's French-Japanese Nippon Animation (?) which might be unwatchable now, but I don't dare to check!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »

The "angsty" teen step daughter I have loves the stuff.  I don't get it.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »

Right now I'm watching Sailor Moon Crystal. I've been watching less and less new anime recently, except for movies, but I've also been revisiting some older series, especially space opera. I'd love to sit down and really go through Galaxy Express 999 or Space Pirate Captain Harlock some time soon, or even The Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Martian Successor Nadesico again (provided I can adequately ignore the existence of the sequel movie).

I started watching Galaxy Express 999 in the autumn of 2012, although I'm still stuck in season 1 due its sheer length. I find the artwork thoroughly amazing however.

Besides series mentioned already, for shorter series I'd recommend Sora No Woto and Girls und Panzer.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:38 PM »

I know for a fact that Mung Beans is a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think it has some of the same conceptual/ideological flaws as Shingeki no Kyojin but in general I like it a lot. Has anybody else seen or heard of it?

I think the phrase "greatest _____ ever" is always wrong, but in the case of Legend of the Galactic Heroes it might actually apply in regards to the scope of the plot and cast. Sure, it has some flaws with some characters and there are some concepts that seem not to fit in a Western-based society, but overall I've never been so drawn to a story and cast in the way I was with LOGH, I just couldn't stop watching and I kept thinking about the implications of all the episodes (and how things might have been if certain people hadn't died). A part of my username comes from the series, as I always liked Norio Wakamoto's Admiral Reuental.

I honestly can't wait to see the announced new adaptation!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 04:57:21 AM »

I started watching Galaxy Express 999 in the autumn of 2012, although I'm still stuck in season 1 due its sheer length. I find the artwork thoroughly amazing however.

How do you think I might find it?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I really enjoyed Sora no Woto for the most part. I'm worried I might find Girls und Panzer in poor taste were I to watch it.

I think the phrase "greatest _____ ever" is always wrong, but in the case of Legend of the Galactic Heroes it might actually apply in regards to the scope of the plot and cast. Sure, it has some flaws with some characters and there are some concepts that seem not to fit in a Western-based society, but overall I've never been so drawn to a story and cast in the way I was with LOGH, I just couldn't stop watching and I kept thinking about the implications of all the episodes (and how things might have been if certain people hadn't died). A part of my username comes from the series, as I always liked Norio Wakamoto's Admiral Reuental.

Reuenthal's one of my favorites as well. He's both a total class act and a deeply wounded, compelling character.

I had no idea this was happening! Now I can't wait either.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:44 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2014, 05:15:47 AM by Assemblyman Spiral »

I can't say that I constantly watch anime like some, but I've found myself to like a few series (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Urusei Yatsura, Berserk) over the years. Mostly older stuff.

I'm curious what you guys think of Gainax. I've tried watching things like Evangelion, FLCL, and Panty & Stocking, although most of them fell flat with me.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2014, 12:21:00 PM by The Mikado »

I love that show so much, it's utterly brilliant.

I also love how the subtitler seems to be a person who doesn't really speak English but has one hell of a thesaurus.  It's not often that I see words like enfeoffed and foppery.

I like how right from the get go the series establishes that both the Empire's autocracy and the Alliance's democracy were deeply, deeply flawed and put the two protagonists more against their own structures than against each other for the entire first season.  People like Braunschweig end up seen as the living embodiments of the evils in aristocratic, autocratic old regimes (contemptuous of commoners regardless of talent, unable to adapt to changing situations, etc.) while Job Truniht is basically the best satire of democracy's ills I've seen.  In the early episodes he literally has a pseudo-Ku Klux Klan that goes around beating the crap out of his political opponents in masks while he maintains plausible deniability.  Reinhard von Lohengramm must overcome Braunschweig and the other remnants of the corrupt Imperial establishment through force...Yang Wen-li is stuck with political maneuvering on the Alliance side because he can't just overthrow his own prime minister and still claim to stand for democratic rule.

EDIT: And I love how Reinhard is perfectly willing to seek talent among commoner and aristocrat alike, and disdains judging people by birth but is willing to work with those born well under the old regime who support his cause.  His top two admirals, the commoner Wolfgang Mittermeyer and the aristocratic Oskar von Reuenthal, are a great contrast with each other.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 12:46:10 PM »

Its on Crunchyroll.

The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »

Considering we actually have a surprising amount of LOGH fans around here, maybe we should have our own thread for that show.

Question: I haven't watched any of the side-series, just the main one.  Are any of them worth exploring?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

I also love how the subtitler seems to be a person who doesn't really speak English but has one hell of a thesaurus.  It's not often that I see words like enfeoffed and foppery.

For me nothing will beat 'you may have killed millions of people, but at the very least, you made me happy'.

I always wondered if Truniht was supposed to (almost) share the last name as a certain infamously intransigent and reactionary South African politician or if that was just happy coincidence.

The relationship between Mittermeyer and Reuenthal was probably my favorite between any two characters.

'Find' as in how do you think I would like it. Sorry for the enfeoffed foppery in my word choice.

Considering we actually have a surprising amount of LOGH fans around here, maybe we should have our own thread for that show.

I'd be up for that.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars definitely is. I haven't seen any of the others either.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »

Question: I haven't watched any of the side-series, just the main one.  Are any of them worth exploring?

I certainly wouldn't mind having a thread to discuss it, I've always been surprised at how obscure it is for most anime fans. The side-series are hit or miss, some parts of Spiral Labyrinth are rather good (Yang meeting some of his future subordinates, one of the Tiamat battles and researching into the life of Bruce Ashbey). A Hundred Billion Lights is good in several parts as well (good battles both in land and space and very fascinating characters like Admiral Grimmelshausen and Commodore Luneberg), but the rest of the episodes often feel like a drag to me. I recommend watching them to understand more aspects of Yang, Reinhard and other character's lives before Astarte and the beginning of the series. You should also watch My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War (a remake of the first two episodes), they really add a lot to the story and give interesting character development for some.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »

I watch it occasionally, although I'm kind of limited by the fact that I don't like reading subtitles and can't speak Japanese.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »

I also love how the subtitler seems to be a person who doesn't really speak English but has one hell of a thesaurus.  It's not often that I see words like enfeoffed and foppery.

For me nothing will beat 'you may have killed millions of people, but at the very least, you made me happy'.

"We're conducting this revolution out of foppery and whim!"

Dusty Attenborough is the source of so many great quotes, especially when he's talking to Poplan.  One of my favorite bits is when they're trying to brainstorm an Alliance slogan to counter the Empire's "Sieg Kaiser Reinhard!" and Dusty proposed "Viva Democracy," leading everyone to basically collectively facepalm.  Then Poplan suggests..."Die Kaiser Reinhard!" and everyone goes with it.  It says a lot about how diverse the Alliance is that the only message they could agree on is the literal inverse of the Empire's slogan.

Poplan's also pretty great in general.

And while I'm talking about the Engrish, who can forget...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8BSSpU5fU

The Alliance's anthem.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies