Anime (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:10:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anime (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anime  (Read 5231 times)
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
« edited: July 24, 2014, 12:21:00 PM by The Mikado »

I know for a fact that Mung Beans is a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think it has some of the same conceptual/ideological flaws as Shingeki no Kyojin but in general I like it a lot. Has anybody else seen or heard of it?

I love that show so much, it's utterly brilliant.

I also love how the subtitler seems to be a person who doesn't really speak English but has one hell of a thesaurus.  It's not often that I see words like enfeoffed and foppery.

I like how right from the get go the series establishes that both the Empire's autocracy and the Alliance's democracy were deeply, deeply flawed and put the two protagonists more against their own structures than against each other for the entire first season.  People like Braunschweig end up seen as the living embodiments of the evils in aristocratic, autocratic old regimes (contemptuous of commoners regardless of talent, unable to adapt to changing situations, etc.) while Job Truniht is basically the best satire of democracy's ills I've seen.  In the early episodes he literally has a pseudo-Ku Klux Klan that goes around beating the crap out of his political opponents in masks while he maintains plausible deniability.  Reinhard von Lohengramm must overcome Braunschweig and the other remnants of the corrupt Imperial establishment through force...Yang Wen-li is stuck with political maneuvering on the Alliance side because he can't just overthrow his own prime minister and still claim to stand for democratic rule.

EDIT: And I love how Reinhard is perfectly willing to seek talent among commoner and aristocrat alike, and disdains judging people by birth but is willing to work with those born well under the old regime who support his cause.  His top two admirals, the commoner Wolfgang Mittermeyer and the aristocratic Oskar von Reuenthal, are a great contrast with each other.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:06 PM »

Considering we actually have a surprising amount of LOGH fans around here, maybe we should have our own thread for that show.

Question: I haven't watched any of the side-series, just the main one.  Are any of them worth exploring?
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »

I know for a fact that Mung Beans is a fan of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I think it has some of the same conceptual/ideological flaws as Shingeki no Kyojin but in general I like it a lot. Has anybody else seen or heard of it?

I love that show so much, it's utterly brilliant.

I also love how the subtitler seems to be a person who doesn't really speak English but has one hell of a thesaurus.  It's not often that I see words like enfeoffed and foppery.

For me nothing will beat 'you may have killed millions of people, but at the very least, you made me happy'.

"We're conducting this revolution out of foppery and whim!"

Dusty Attenborough is the source of so many great quotes, especially when he's talking to Poplan.  One of my favorite bits is when they're trying to brainstorm an Alliance slogan to counter the Empire's "Sieg Kaiser Reinhard!" and Dusty proposed "Viva Democracy," leading everyone to basically collectively facepalm.  Then Poplan suggests..."Die Kaiser Reinhard!" and everyone goes with it.  It says a lot about how diverse the Alliance is that the only message they could agree on is the literal inverse of the Empire's slogan.

Poplan's also pretty great in general.

And while I'm talking about the Engrish, who can forget...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8BSSpU5fU

The Alliance's anthem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies