NE1: House the Homeless Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:50:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: House the Homeless Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE1: House the Homeless Act (Law)  (Read 2468 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:39:21 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2014, 01:07:28 PM by Speaker SWE »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Dr. Cynic

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 12:39 M on Saturday July 26, unless modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2014, 11:59:02 PM by Rep. JoMCaR (F-MA) »

Since we have a surplus and this is an issue my party has deemed important with very good arguments, I think I'll be supporting this Smiley ^^
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

Thank you for your support, JoMCaR.

This act is designed as not only an expansion on already active legislation, the Anti-Homelessness Act, but it is designed to be a hopefully permanent cure to the epidemic of homelessness in this country by not only providing a home, but giving these individuals the means of supporting themselves eventually. If you asked almost anyone on the street, most would tell you that they've had some hard luck and if only given the tools, would work to succeed again. This act is also not a permanent handout program. Those that don't take the opportunity can still stay in the shelters, but most would rather, I think take up the chance to find a home, have work and eventually stand on their own feet. This act provides that through the reevaluation of each case.

The night time shelters are a band-aid meant to contain the illness, if I may use the term. This act hopes to expand upon it and hopefully cure the problem once and for all.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:32:57 PM »

Cynic, this is overall a fantastic bill which has my staunch support. The only thing that tends to worry me is clause 3c. What concerns me about allowing those who no longer need the housing to remain there, is the fact that there may be people who, the prior year didn't require housing, but now do. I am concerned that folks who for whatever reason are now homeless, may have a difficult time finding housing if there are too many people who can get by without housing assistance, staying in these places.  If I may propose an amendment:

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:39:25 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 06:41:02 PM by Lt. Governor Dr. Cynic »

I'll tell you what, Matt. I'll accept the amendments as friendly, provided we can find a way in which to get those displaced into permanent housing as that is the primary goal of the bill. If you can add another clause providing that, or offer me up an acceptable compromise, then I'll add it to the bill and consider your amendments friendly.

(If you prefer, I'll attach the amendment myself but it will have to wait until I'm back home)
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:27:51 PM »

I fully agree with JoMCaR, and support the offered amendment.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »

While I'm assuming the answer is "probably not" is there any way we could pursue zoning reform as part of this to allow for cheaper and more equitable lodging?

Some thought-provoking articles on the matter.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »

I'll tell you what, Matt. I'll accept the amendments as friendly, provided we can find a way in which to get those displaced into permanent housing as that is the primary goal of the bill. If you can add another clause providing that, or offer me up an acceptable compromise, then I'll add it to the bill and consider your amendments friendly.

(If you prefer, I'll attach the amendment myself but it will have to wait until I'm back home)

I think it may be best if you attach the amendment, because quite honestly, I'm not sure what you have in mind about finding permanent housing for these individuals. I'l support it 100% once we find a feasible solution, however.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »

The Department of internal affairs has $1 billion available for the Northeast for anti-homelessness through the Public means public act.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195496.msg4231965#msg4231965

Does the regional government got approval from Internal Affairs that this bill meet the criteria, and is this bill costing more than the federal money allocation. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »

The Department of internal affairs has $1 billion available for the Northeast for anti-homelessness through the Public means public act.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195496.msg4231965#msg4231965

Does the regional government got approval from Internal Affairs that this bill meet the criteria, and is this bill costing more than the federal money allocation. 

At this time, I don't know the cost constraints of the bill, but given the large budget surplus we're running as well as that money coming in, I don't think it will be a massive debt creator. However, I'll ask Internal Affairs for a cost estimate if it would make you feel better, sir.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

While I'm assuming the answer is "probably not" is there any way we could pursue zoning reform as part of this to allow for cheaper and more equitable lodging?

Maybe that should be for a separate bill, no? I can talk to the Governor and see if we can get working on this.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:42 PM »

Maybe that should be for a separate bill, no? I can talk to the Governor and see if we can get working on this.

There's not a lot in the queue right now, so I wouldn't have an issue with that - I just think that re-working some of our outdated zoning laws ought to be bundled with a sincere effort to combat homelessness.

I'm not too concerned about the particulars however.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:03 PM »

This, I'm hoping, with Matt's two amendments, I added two of my own to prevent something like a relapse of homelessness in the event that an individual or individuals living in a Urban Development home are asked to vacate. Hopefully, this will satisfy all needs.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

There's not a lot in the queue right now, so I wouldn't have an issue with that - I just think that re-working some of our outdated zoning laws ought to be bundled with a sincere effort to combat homelessness.

I'm not too concerned about the particulars however.

Even if you have some suggestions, send them to one of us and I'm sure we can get it sponsored.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:41:06 PM »

Yes, that's an excellent amendment Cynic. I believe that definitely patches up any potential problems that this bill may have had.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »

I feel positive about the future consequences of these legislation. The amendments do cover many potential loopholes, and that's awesome. Now, if anyone wants to add anything else... 'cause I'm fine with what we have already ^^
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:27 PM »

At the moment sir, I think my bill is fine as it stands with the 3 added clauses. As soon as I hear back from the SOIA, I'll let the Assembly know the final costs of the legislation.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »

Great to hear that, Mr. Lieutenant Governor.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »

Debate on this bill is now over. Representatives will now vote on this bill as written:

Voting will last for 48 hours or until all representative have voted.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »

Aye
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:12 PM »

Aye
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 08:36:26 PM »

AYE
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

Aye
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 11:35:50 PM »

Aye.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »

The voting period is now over. By a vote of 5-0-0, this bill goes to the governor for his signature or veto.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies