Who will win in Georgia? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win in Georgia? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the Georgia senate election?
David Purdue (R)

Michelle Nunn (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Who will win in Georgia?  (Read 5343 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« on: July 23, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »

I was worried about Kingston not being able to defeat Nunn, but I think that Perdue can definitely beat her.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »

So this is Safe D now? Seriously?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »

Being up by 6 and 7 points isn't necessarily a solid guarantee of a win this far out, and we must remember that Landmark is not that good of a pollster.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »

Being up by 6 and 7 points isn't necessarily a solid guarantee of a win this far out, and we must remember that Landmark is not that good of a pollster.

It's not only Landmark, it's also PPP and Rasmussen that say Nunn is gonna win.
"Officially" Georgia isn't a safe Dem. state, of course. But in my personal judgment, it is quite safe.

PPP has been slipping in sample quality in some states this year in my view (not that they're completely wrong), and Rasmussen, well, need I say more? I have my doubts that Nunn will be able to pull off a win. If this were 2016, I'd say she would have a better chance, but it's a midterm with her party in the White House.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »

Like I said Sonny Perdue just like Deal had controversies.

He came in on the Confederate flag issue that divided blks who overwhelmingly vote for Taylor in 2006, but in not large enough numbers. Also in 2003, he failed to disclose Jackson Lake as summer home

Perdue also only has a high school education.

If blacks couldn't turn out enough in a Democratic wave like 2006 to defeat a Republican, how are they going to deliver the election to Nunn in a year like this?  Also, Perdue does have a bachelor's in industrial engineering and a master's in operations research from Georgia Tech. Handel was the one with just a HS diploma.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »

Never, what OC was trying to point out Perdue's comment about Handel's education - not suggest Perdue hadn't gone to college.

Okay, that clears things up. I wasn't sure if he was mixing up the two or not.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »

Like I said Sonny Perdue just like Deal had controversies.

He came in on the Confederate flag issue that divided blks who overwhelmingly vote for Taylor in 2006, but in not large enough numbers. Also in 2003, he failed to disclose Jackson Lake as summer home

Perdue also only has a high school education.

If blacks couldn't turn out enough in a Democratic wave like 2006 to defeat a Republican, how are they going to deliver the election to Nunn in a year like this?  Also, Perdue does have a bachelor's in industrial engineering and a master's in operations research from Georgia Tech. Handel was the one with just a HS diploma.

Well Georgia 2006 was MUCH different than Georgia today. Not saying Nunn would be advantaged in a runoff, but I'm not sure the comparison is fair.

True, Georgia is different now, but that year was a Democratic wave, and this year is not. If Romney were president, I think Nunn would be favored, since the party controlling the White House just doesn't tend to do well in midterms, but Obama being in office really drags her down. That's all I'm trying to say.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »

Wait... Why the hell is the runoff scheduled for after the new Congress is sworn in? Was I reading that correctly??

Yes. This is what happens when you let Republicans make calendars.

But these runoff rules were instituted when Democrats dominated the South.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »

Wait... Why the hell is the runoff scheduled for after the new Congress is sworn in? Was I reading that correctly??

Well, I guess it helps to know how to read a calendar: the Senate runoff (if needed) is in December. The Gubernatorial runoff would be in the new year. Bizarre, yes, but not as bizarre as having a Senate runoff after the new Congress is sworn in.

Um, no.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

But these runoff rules were instituted when Democrats dominated the South.

Again, not really. The runoff threshold was at 50% for over 100 years, and yes, that was due to Democrats wanting a guarantee. In 1992, Wyche Fowler lost the run-off against Coverdell despite beating him in the general election.

The Democrats then changed the run-off requirement to 45% to begin with the 1994 elections, where it stayed at through 2004.

Once Republicans took control of the General Assembly in 2005, they changed the rules back to 50% (since it now benefited them). So at least in Georgia, the current runoff laws were instituted by Republicans.

Okay, I see what you mean now, but the Democrats setting the precedent surely made it easier for the Republicans to revert back to the old runoff rules. It seems like the Republicans just ripped a sheet from the Democrats' playbook down in Georgia.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies