Have you ever had a job that paid less than promised?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever had a job that paid less than promised?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever had a job that paid less than promised?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Have you ever had a job that paid less than promised?  (Read 970 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:45 AM »

Every job I've ever had has paid exactly as promised.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:59 AM »

No, but it's NOT unusual for companies to make inflated claims of what you CAN make......which is about the same thing, no?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »

When I was first starting out, I did a show where I was promise 50 dollars, but ended up getting 35. I spent the entirety of my act that night listing the things I could have done with that 15 dollars.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:11:56 PM »

When I was first starting out, I did a show where I was promise 50 dollars, but ended up getting 35. I spent the entirety of my act that night listing the things I could have done with that 15 dollars.

Lol. Are/were you a comic?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

In my case, I worked for a short time last summer at a place that was originally claimed to pay $15 an hour. However, because that was the union wage (I assume), the union guys complained and it was eventually lowered to 12 or 13 an hour (hard to remember which since it was lowered, then raised back to 15, then lowered again all while I was on hiatus from working there).
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »

Teavana makes it sound really easy to reach the threshold for commission for your sales. But it is not.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »

no.

and i dont think bushie has either.  what bushie has had is what others have mentioned: inflated commission/bonus promises.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »

Sort of? I play the bagpipes, and I've often played for events at my church. Obviously any service I give to the church is donated, but I'll also occasionally do paid gigs there for weddings and funerals. Playing at a Remembrance Day ceremony is something I see as a service to the congregation; playing at one person's funeral is a service to an individual party.

Anyway, I was asked by the minister to play at the funeral of one of our more active members. I didn't push the point on a dollar amount, which was my fault, but I just assumed they would pay me a little less than market rate. With our old minister, this stuff was just kind of assumed.

Anyway, I played at the funeral and all I got was an awkward handshake. I take the bulk of the blame, but to this day I still feel taken advantage of by the minister who set this up for me. He should know that pipers usually expect to be paid. I mean, funerals often pay upwards of $200.00. Maintaining the instrument, buying and laundering my uniform, paying for lessons, and getting from here to there costs money. I really didn't like that it was assumed I'd just do this for free. Hell, my grandma even paid me a little something to play at my grandpa's funeral against my wishes, just because she understood the value of having a piper.

So that's my story. Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »

I am. Though I really only try to be funny when I'm working. The rest of the time, I just look that way.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »

No, but it's NOT unusual for companies to make inflated claims of what you CAN make......which is about the same thing, no?

I agree that this is probably what's happened to Jeff on multiple occasions. So "promise" is a word that has been used very liberally. I'll always share with sales people what their potential is ... and if that's the type of job someone will be doing, then you get them excited by the potential. But what's on paper is the promise.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 08:45:22 PM »

I agree that this is probably what's happened to Jeff on multiple occasions. So "promise" is a word that has been used very liberally. I'll always share with sales people what their potential is ... and if that's the type of job someone will be doing, then you get them excited by the potential. But what's on paper is the promise.

And Jeff assumes that what is promised as the maximum is what he'll be able to achieve... as opposed to earning the minimum.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »

Sort of? I play the bagpipes, and I've often played for events at my church. Obviously any service I give to the church is donated, but I'll also occasionally do paid gigs there for weddings and funerals. Playing at a Remembrance Day ceremony is something I see as a service to the congregation; playing at one person's funeral is a service to an individual party.

Anyway, I was asked by the minister to play at the funeral of one of our more active members. I didn't push the point on a dollar amount, which was my fault, but I just assumed they would pay me a little less than market rate. With our old minister, this stuff was just kind of assumed.

Anyway, I played at the funeral and all I got was an awkward handshake. I take the bulk of the blame, but to this day I still feel taken advantage of by the minister who set this up for me. He should know that pipers usually expect to be paid. I mean, funerals often pay upwards of $200.00. Maintaining the instrument, buying and laundering my uniform, paying for lessons, and getting from here to there costs money. I really didn't like that it was assumed I'd just do this for free. Hell, my grandma even paid me a little something to play at my grandpa's funeral against my wishes, just because she understood the value of having a piper.

Do you ever do curling events?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »

I am. Though I really only try to be funny when I'm working. The rest of the time, I just look that way.
I know it's been asked before, maybe even by me, and I'm not sure if you ever did it or not, but you need a thread to tell cool stories about your act and comics you've met.

I'd love to be a stand up, but I'm not probably not funny enough and more importantly, I'm a pussy.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »

Do you ever do curling events?

I never have, but I know my old piping teacher used to do a bunch. The only playing I do up your way (Ottawa, right?) is at Maxville for the Glengarry Highland Games. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies