Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California  (Read 2689 times)
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »

There are several reasons for high gas prices:

1. High demand. India and China especially have rapidly growing oil demand to go along with their rapidly expanding economies.

2. Not enough supply - or rather, not enough supply is used. Large tracts of land, in the US and elsewhere, cannot be drilled either due to political considerations (like ANWR) or due to being only worthwile with high gas prices (like a lot of Canadian shale oil). More importantly, not a single new refinery has been built in the US for decades. Although existing refineries have been expanded, new ones would increase capacity vastly.

3. Instability in oil-producing countries. Not just Iraq. Iran is a big threat, there's instability all over the African countries, the companies in Venezuela are being assaulted by Chavez, Mexico's fuel industry is chronically inefficient, and so on.

4. High gasoline taxes. Federal tax alone adds 43 cents to every gallon of gas. And it's not even that bad in the US: In some countries, it's a dollar or more.

5. Political concerns block many of the most cost-effective oil alternatives. For example, oil power plants in the US could be replaced with nuclear power, but no one wants a nuclear reactor in their backyard. Coal could also be used, as the US is actually a net producer of coal, but it pollutes even worse then oil in most cases.

6. the US government hugely regulates the oil industry. I mean, do we really need 100 regulated regional blends of gasoline? The system is way inefficient, in addition to being suffocating.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 07:51:26 PM »

Gas just shot up to $2.30 here. In response to the extra cost needed to keep Metro Transit (Twin Cities bus service) going, the state legislature is thinking about cutting routes. Idiots.

Me... I like high gas prices. They encourage people to use less gas and therefore harm the environment less.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 08:01:29 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2005, 08:03:54 PM by jfern »

Gas is already around $2.60 here.  SF probably will hit $3 soon at this rate.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »

Where I live, gas is roughly CDN$0.92/L, which is roughly US$2.86/gallon, and the price has been there for a long time.

You Americans need to stop complaining. Tongue
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 08:09:19 PM »

Where I live, gas is roughly CDN$0.92/L, which is roughly US$2.86/gallon, and the price has been there for a long time.

You Americans need to stop complaining. Tongue

Gas is almost that expensive here, and I think premium might be more expensive.
It's funny to watch the rest of the US be in shock at having the price start with a '2'. We're pretty used to it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 11:47:26 PM »

We have almost caught up to you guys in CA. We are up into the 2.20's. The good news is you can buy a fully loaded Chevy Suburban for about 25k dollars now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2005, 12:22:04 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 12:24:05 AM by jfern »

We have almost caught up to you guys in CA. We are up into the 2.20's. The good news is you can buy a fully loaded Chevy Suburban for about 25k dollars now.

California no longer has any gas station charging in the $2.20s.
We do have stations charging over $3.00 for regular.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2005, 12:24:58 AM »

Where I work I have noticed a LOT of the independent truck drivers are unloading their own trucks by themselves. We have an independent company that unloads all the trucks for us but now a lot of the indies are unwilling to pay the money to have someone else do it. The cost of diesel is actually HIGHER then regular gas here. Hopefully the high cost of gas won't keep all the yankees from making their summer visits here and I pray that it won't keep them away this fall.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2005, 12:31:15 AM »

Where I work I have noticed a LOT of the independent truck drivers are unloading their own trucks by themselves. We have an independent company that unloads all the trucks for us but now a lot of the indies are unwilling to pay the money to have someone else do it. The cost of diesel is actually HIGHER then regular gas here. Hopefully the high cost of gas won't keep all the yankees from making their summer visits here and I pray that it won't keep them away this fall.

According to this website, the cheapest regular is $2.27 (out of date, I think), and the cheapest diesel is $2.45.
http://www.californiagasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=D&tme_limit=48
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2005, 12:34:02 AM »

According to this website, the cheapest regular is $2.27 (out of date, I think), and the cheapest diesel is $2.45.
http://www.californiagasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=D&tme_limit=48

Anyone know why diesel is so much higher? The refining process is a LOT lower for it then normal gas.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2005, 08:20:08 AM »

Unless you're braindead, you realize of course that the US has alot of public transportation also.  Alot of people just don't use it at all.  Now for me, sure, I would have to drive, but people who live in suburban areas should be taking the metro, carpooling, etc.  Hopefully, 3.00 gas will teach people to be better fuel consumers.

Buses will be raising prices due to this.
And anyways, a lot of areas of the country - particularly red areas - have sh**t for public transportation.

Yes, because not everyone lives in the cities. And I can't imagine buses driving 20 mile routes into the middle of nowhere to pick up   3-10 people. Sorry, it's just not very pratical to do so.

Yes another nail in the coffin of the dying rural economy.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »

This is another reason why suburbs suck.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies