Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:56:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gasoline may hit $2.50 by Memorial Day, $3.00 in California  (Read 2730 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: April 04, 2005, 05:48:48 PM »
« edited: April 04, 2005, 05:59:14 PM by opebo »

Looks like there is a pretty good chance of some economic troubles by 2006!  Smiley

I mean the newsflash kind, not just the continuing ones.
We may yet see Peak Oil, the housing bubble collapse, the final collapse of the dollar, and double digit interest rates.

Thank goodness I drive a motorcycle.  I wish I didn't have to return to the land of the Buick.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 05:43:51 AM »

We may yet see Peak Oil, the houseing bubble collapse, the final collapse of the dollar, and double digit interests rates

Do you even know what currency devaluation means?

Yes, it means you become poorer relative to other countries.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 05:47:03 AM »

Clearly, the war was all about oil.  Just look at the low oil prices.

What makes you assume that to be 'about oil' automatically means to be about lower oil prices? 

The war was about seizing control of oil and the middle east in general, but this has nothing to do with the price of oil.  In general the cabal of interest groups which backs Bush and the GOP has no problem with high oil prices.  If you just seized something, wouldn't you like it to be worth more, not less?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:46:51 AM »

We may yet see Peak Oil, the houseing bubble collapse, the final collapse of the dollar, and double digit interests rates

Do you even know what currency devaluation means?

Yes, it means you become poorer relative to other countries.

So in other words, no.

Explain how a holder of dollars does not become poorer when they go down in value relative to, say for example Euros, or better yet Thai baht.  The holder of dollars has been getting drastically poorer relative to the foreigner for years now.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2005, 04:37:29 PM by opebo »

You're confusing curreny devaluation with inflation. The former is only an issue if you travel.

No, it is also an issue if you import, obviously.  Which happens to be practically all the proles back home do, even if they are too xenophobic, broke, and starved of vacation time to travel.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:38:42 PM »

Not suprising with all the things going on in the world.  Hell, consider yourselves lucky. Europe pays out the nose for gas plus they get taxed to no end. 

Yeah but they have an infrastructure - public transportation.  Most of the common people aren't saddled with the burden of car ownship and gas purchase as in the US.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 08:20:08 AM »

Unless you're braindead, you realize of course that the US has alot of public transportation also.  Alot of people just don't use it at all.  Now for me, sure, I would have to drive, but people who live in suburban areas should be taking the metro, carpooling, etc.  Hopefully, 3.00 gas will teach people to be better fuel consumers.

Buses will be raising prices due to this.
And anyways, a lot of areas of the country - particularly red areas - have sh**t for public transportation.

Yes, because not everyone lives in the cities. And I can't imagine buses driving 20 mile routes into the middle of nowhere to pick up   3-10 people. Sorry, it's just not very pratical to do so.

Yes another nail in the coffin of the dying rural economy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies