Deadlock in 1860; Joe Lane sworn in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:09:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Deadlock in 1860; Joe Lane sworn in
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Deadlock in 1860; Joe Lane sworn in  (Read 861 times)
Maistre
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »

Joe Lane of course being Breckenridge's running mate during the 1860 election. If the 1860 election somehow went to the house, Lane probably had a huge chance of becoming the President. The senate was heavily Democratic, and would of course support one of their own over a Republican.

The House is where the real battle is. Breckenridge and Lincoln are obviously in the top two slots, if there is a deadlock, it is likely because Douglas managed to carry a few free states, so we can give him the third slot if we want (but he doesn't really matter). The congressional delegations are split as such:

Republicans: 15
Pro-Douglas Democrats: 1
Pro-Breckenridge Democrats: 13
Ex-Whigs: 1

Maryland/Kentucky were split equally between Breckenridge Dems and Ex-Whigs.

Missouri was equally split between Douglas and Breckenridge Dems.

With Bell not in the running, the Ex-Whigs in TN, MD, and KY will not break for Lincoln unless they want to be lynched when they return home, so it is either Douglas or Breckenridge. Douglas is the obvious choice for the 'compromise candidate,' but with Lane a lock in the Senate, the Breckenridge Dems are not likely to settle for Douglas. So with the House deadlocked, Lane becomes President. From what little I know about him, he was much more of a fire-eater than his running mate, with his political career largely being destroyed in his home state of Oregon with his pro-secession beliefs. So what kind of damage could a more radical pro-slavery man do as President for at least until 1865 (where a Republican is almost assured the Presidency)?.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »

I would like to think that the Northern states would secede in such a scenario.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:22:38 AM »

I would like to think that the Northern states would secede in such a scenario.

Just as secessionist sentiment was confined to the Deep South in OTL, Yankee secession would have been confined to New England.

I doubt it ends well for the pie-for-breakfast-eaters.   
Maistre
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:21:36 PM »

The North wouldn't really have incentive to secede. When 1864 comes around, the North by itself has enough electoral votes to kick Lane out of office.

I'm curious though what a pro-slavery extremist could have done with 4 years in office - start a war with Mexico? Use army units to crush Jayhawker militias in Kansas?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies