Arizona execution lasts almost 2 hours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:25:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arizona execution lasts almost 2 hours
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Arizona execution lasts almost 2 hours  (Read 4830 times)
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »

Oh look, another botched execution!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28457460
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »

Yup and this guy had his appeal denied in order to obtain info on drugs that would eventually torture/kill him by the Supreme Court yesterday.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:31:38 AM »

Yup and this guy had his appeal denied in order to obtain info on drugs that would eventually torture/kill him by the Supreme Court yesterday.

Except that only his lawyers are claiming he suffered.  Apparently all the other witnesses, both those from the victim's families as well as the neutral ones from the press that were present, indicated that he wasn't snorting, he was snoring.  Yeah, it's not good that the execution took longer than expected because death penalty opponents are willing to take steps they know will cause some unexpected results.  However, last night does not appear to have created another torturous death of the the variety some long to have happen because of their monomaniacal insistence that the end of capital punishment in this country justifies any means necessary.  However, despite how death penalty opponents will try to frame the narrative, the abnormality their actions helped precipitate last night in Arizona does not appear to have gone wrong badly enough to be considered "botched".
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 05:40:30 AM »

Except that only his lawyers are claiming he suffered.  Apparently all the other witnesses, both those from the victim's families as well as the neutral ones from the press that were present, indicated that he wasn't snorting, he was snoring.  Yeah, it's not good that the execution took longer than expected because death penalty opponents are willing to take steps they know will cause some unexpected results.  However, last night does not appear to have created another torturous death of the the variety some long to have happen because of their monomaniacal insistence that the end of capital punishment in this country justifies any means necessary.  However, despite how death penalty opponents will try to frame the narrative, the abnormality their actions helped precipitate last night in Arizona does not appear to have gone wrong badly enough to be considered "botched".

It's concerning but depressingly unsurprising you're unmoved as to whether a man snorted or merely snored through a two-hour state sanctioned homicide.

Clearly Europeans should overlook their unequivocal moral objections to state sanctioned murder and enable the process. Otherwise, they're entirely culpable as American states torture their prisoners to death for two hours.

Flawless rationale.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »

Article.

[quote]A condemned Arizona inmate gasped for more than an hour and a half during his execution Wednesday before he died in an episode sure to add to the scrutiny surrounding the death penalty in the U.S.

Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne’s office said Joseph Rudolph Wood was pronounced dead at 3:49 p.m., one hour and 57 minutes after the execution started.

Wood’s lawyers had filed emergency appeals with federal and state courts Court while the execution was underway, demanding that it be stopped. The appeal said Wood was “gasping and snorting for more than an hour.”

Gov. Jan Brewer said later that she’s ordering a full review of the state’s execution process, saying she’s concerned by how long it took for the administered drug protocol to kill Wood.

An Associated Press reporter who witnessed the execution saw Wood start gasping shortly after a sedative and a pain killer were injected into his veins. He gasped more than 600 times over the next hour and 40 minutes.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »

Awful, terrible thing for anyone to have to go through. Regardless of what they've done.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »

These are getting almost as common as mass shootings. Sad
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »

F[inks]ing inept bastards.......horrible.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »

It's not that I'd be unmoved by that, if it it had actually happened, but other that the hyperbolic claims of his lawyers trying to get a last minute stay when it took longer than expected, there's no one saying that's what happened, and that includes the neutral unbiased witnesses who were there.  There's nothing to indicate that death penalty opponents got another torturous death they could use in their campaign to end capital punishment.  It took longer than expected, but there is absolutely no evidence he suffered during the execution.

That some death penalty opponents were gleeful when the initial claims from the lawyers were made indicates to me who the ghouls wanting torture to happen really are.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »

Death penalty opponents didn't quite get what they hoped for, but it does look like they are winning the PR campaign to convince people that this was another torturous death caused by their monomaniacal, the end just the means, campaign to end capital punishment by standing in the way of known methods of carrying out lethal injections.  By all accounts, the double murderer remained unconscious during the execution, despite it taking longer than intended.

While I think only one US state ever used it, perhaps this will lead to the introduction of the guillotine in this country?  Whatever its faults may be, no one can deny that it is a quick method of execution.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »

Death penalty opponents didn't quite get what they hoped for, but it does look like they are winning the PR campaign to convince people that this was another torturous death caused by their monomaniacal, the end just the means, campaign to end capital punishment by standing in the way of known methods of carrying out lethal injections.  By all accounts, the double murderer remained unconscious during the execution, despite it taking longer than intended.

You know another way you could prevent this possibility? By stopping killing people in the name of so-called justice. But I suppose that's a radical concept.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »

That doesn't absolve death penalty opponents of their culpability in making executions more torturous than then have to be.  And it certainly doesn't excuse the apparent glee they show whenever they think they have succeeded in contributing to a torturous death.  Not that they succeeded in this case.  The double murderer's execution took longer than intended thanks to them, but he remained unconscious during it, so no torture happened this time despite their best efforts.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:47:07 AM »

That doesn't absolve death penalty opponents of their culpability in making executions more torturous than then have to be.  

This is either incredibly dishonest....or just bulls**t.....logic. More torturous than they have to be? Only under the perverted assumption that they have to take place in the first place.

That's like if I witness you about to murder someone with a chainsaw and you tell me I should give you my gun (assuming I had one) to make it more humane and accusing me of being equally to blame for not agreeing to aid you in your murder.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 11:54:28 AM »

What about people who "wake up" during surgery? It's very rare, but they cannot alert anyone to the fact that they are conscious and of course there is no "evidence" that they are suffering. This man's body was trying to keep him alive, and it has to be assumed that he was suffering.

Mixing chemicals and shooting them into people has to be the epitome of "cruel and unusual." Especially when the "sanctioned" chemicals are becoming harder and harder to obtain because of course they are being used for state sanctioned murder. I'm glad the press is at least interested in keeping an eye on this.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »

That doesn't absolve death penalty opponents of their culpability in making executions more torturous than then have to be.  

This is either incredibly dishonest....or just bulls**t.....logic. More torturous than they have to be? Only under the perverted assumption that they have to take place in the first place.

That's like if I witness you about to murder someone with a chainsaw and you tell me I should give you my gun (assuming I had one) to make it more humane and accusing me of being equally to blame for not agreeing to aid you in your murder.

Except executions are not murder.  The only murders involved in this story were the two he was convicted of having done.  If capital punishment is to happen at all, this criminal was a poster boy for who ought to receive it.  The only things the efforts to interfere with the use of lethal injection as a means of carrying out capital punishment are likely to achieve are a few executions more torturous than they have to be and a switch to other methods of execution.  It won't end capital punishment in the US.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »

Thanks Europe!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:13:11 PM »

Says you. I don't think it's possible to discuss this meaningfully when we can't agree on that premise.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:25 PM »

Pretty disgusting.  This guy may have been an evil murderer, but he shouldn't have been tortured.  Also, as long as the state has the power to kill, an innocent person could easily be executed, and the execution may be botched.  That risk should be removed, and abolishing the death penalty is the only way to remove the risk.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

I don't support the death penalty (normal European), but why don't they use nitrogen gas asphyxiation like in factory farms, as opposed to injecting people with whatever bizarre concoctions they think might work?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »

Says you. I don't think it's possible to discuss this meaningfully when we can't agree on that premise.

That's why you and I have never had any meaningful discussion as well.  If you can't agree on the basic underlying premise, the rest is meaningless.  But I do respect those who share your opinion.  Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 12:32:46 PM »

That's why you and I have never had any meaningful discussion as well.  If you can't agree on the basic underlying premise, the rest is meaningless.  But I do respect those who share your opinion.  Smiley

I'd be lying if I said I had respect for the other side in this debate, in all honesty. But it's important to differentiate between people and views. I'm sure you've reached your position in good faith, and I recognize I should try to copy your respect for the opponents. Smiley
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »

I don't get it. If they really want to have the death penalty why don't they just use a morphine overdose?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »

At least we agree that capital punishment isn't a particularly useful form of punishment in its present form, but to call it murder broadens the concept of murder so much as to make it essentially indistinguishable from manslaughter.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 01:04:57 PM »

At least we agree that capital punishment isn't a particularly useful form of punishment in its present form, but to call it murder broadens the concept of murder so much as to make it essentially indistinguishable from manslaughter.

Alright this interests me. I can see holding the position that capital punishment is neither murder nor manslaughter (even I though I strongly disagree), but I can't see arguing that it IS manslaughter but not murder.

How are you distinguishing between the two? Because capital punishment is certainly pre-meditated killing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »

Alright this interests me. I can see holding the position that capital punishment is neither murder nor manslaughter (even I though I strongly disagree), but I can't see arguing that it IS manslaughter but not murder.

How are you distinguishing between the two? Because capital punishment is certainly pre-meditated killing.

Capital punishment is not done with malice.  That's the critical distinction between murder and manslaughter.  Intending ahead of time that your malicious act will definitely result in death is the usual distinction between first- and second-degree murder.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies