End McCarthyism Once and For All Act of 2014 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:01:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  End McCarthyism Once and For All Act of 2014 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: End McCarthyism Once and For All Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 2949 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
« edited: August 03, 2014, 10:07:23 AM by VP windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator TNF
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:11 AM »

This bill has my full support.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:25 AM »

I was shocked to find these are (technically) still on the books, by nature of them not being repealed in Atlasia. Figured we ought to correct that.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »

The Immigration and Nationality Act should stay for the purpose of national security. We need responsible immigration laws.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:15:25 AM »

What is the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »

What is the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952?

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:24 AM »

Is there a legitimate need for such? For instance if a foreign national engaged in inciting, or encouraging terrorist activity, would we still be able to deport them without that law?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »

Is there a legitimate need for such? For instance if a foreign national engaged in inciting, or encouraging terrorist activity, would we still be able to deport them without that law?

I'm not sure, but either way, I don't think that we should deport someone on the grounds that they're 'inciting' anything, given the sh**tty record of the US government insofar as deporting radicals with even the faintest relation to another country.

See: The First Red Scare
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »

Not to defend communism and other forms of totalitarism, but some of these mentioned bills do reflect an era of paranoia that we no longer live on, so repealing the Communist Control Act makes a lot of sense to me. Like Yankee and JCL, I'm not entirely sure in the Immigration and Nationality Act, since that one might still be relevant to today's world and the threats we face.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »

I don't think there's really any debate to be had here. These bills are reflective of a time that that portrays our country poorly, and they should be removed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »

I'm not sure, but either way, I don't think that we should deport someone on the grounds that they're 'inciting' anything, given the sh**tty record of the US government insofar as deporting radicals with even the faintest relation to another country.

See: The First Red Scare

This is not the US, though. Last I check, we run this place, not Wilson and Palmer. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »

I don't think there's really any debate to be had here. These bills are reflective of a time that that portrays our country poorly, and they should be removed.

What is the point in us bringing it up if there is not any debate to be had about it? It is not like the policy can actually be implemented or the effects actually felt in a virtual world. Tongue The only benefit to us, is that discussion which we derive from its being brought up. Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2014, 11:47:25 AM by Senator Lumine »

I'd like to offer this amendment. I support getting rid of the Internal Security Act and the Communist Control Act, but I'm not yet convinced that the Immigration and Nationality act should be repealed without a clear view of the effects the repeal would have.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »

I support the amendment.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

I object to the amendment. It is clear that the only thing that repealing that Act would do is ending the ability of the government to deport radicals for saying things that they don't like.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »

Senators, you have 24 hours to discuss about this amendement before I start a vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »

Natural freedom ends where it seeks to remove those of another. A person calling for the death and destruction of another is not exercising free speech. And considering especially that this is Atlasia and not the US and and is run by DemPGH and Snowstalker, not Wilson and Palmer, I feel comfortable at least retaining the government's ability to deport a foreign national who has come here merely to call for violent activities to be perpetuated here.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »

Well,
I go to bed
But tomorrow,
I will make some search on this law.
Best,
WJ
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »

Natural freedom ends where it seeks to remove those of another. A person calling for the death and destruction of another is not exercising free speech. And considering especially that this is Atlasia and not the US and and is run by DemPGH and Snowstalker, not Wilson and Palmer, I feel comfortable at least retaining the government's ability to deport a foreign national who has come here merely to call for violent activities to be perpetuated here.

Speech matters less than who is speaking and the position of that person in society. I can guarantee you that if a member of the bourgeoisie bought a media outlet and pumped loads of cash into putting out some nonsense about how we need to destroy Iraq or something, he wouldn't be deported. But a radical feminist agitator on the streets? Can't say the same. The problem with your ideology is that it does not recognize the very real power differentials that exist in society.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1952
Please senators, read that before voting.
That explains well the law I guess.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 03:49:56 PM »

Speech matters less than who is speaking and the position of that person in society. I can guarantee you that if a member of the bourgeoisie bought a media outlet and pumped loads of cash into putting out some nonsense about how we need to destroy Iraq or something, he wouldn't be deported. But a radical feminist agitator on the streets? Can't say the same. The problem with your ideology is that it does not recognize the very real power differentials that exist in society.

On the contrary a person calling for a war with a foreign country is calling for a specific foreign policy option and thus would be part of the debate, a serious debate but a debate none the less. If someone bought a lot of airtime to go on TV and call for civic violence or the elimination of a specific group through genocide, I would think that example would be more apples to apples. Nor on the flip side is a radical feminist advocating for violence unless they call for bombing opponents of their views or something.

The probelm with your approach not even ideology is that it always presumes the worst in motivations for that which you disagree with and thus leads often to similar such false equvalencies.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »

Your position is nonsensical. News at 11.

I request a vote on the amendment that I deemed unfriendly.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

Sorry for the delay.

A vote on Lumine's amendment is now open.
Please senators, vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38:13 AM »

NAY
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 09:22:26 AM »

Nay.