job applications
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:35:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  job applications
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which kind do you prefer?

paper

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: job applications  (Read 1160 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »

i didnt even know option 2 was still an option these days.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »

I usually don't like doing online applications because they take a lot longer, but whichever is most convenient at a given time is what I do.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »

Definitely paper.

Turing in a paper application most of the time means that you'll get some immediate face time with the individual who will be handling the hiring process in some regard.  That's just as important as any information that one could ever write on an application.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:36:17 PM »

If paper means you also walk in and personally hand it to the manager and maybe chat a little bit, then paper is far superior. If paper means you mail it or carelessly leave it with a mid-level employee, it's probably worthless.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »

Paper is infinitely superior and I don't get how anyone could even say otherwise. Online applications are super long and get sorted through so many filters that most people have been disqualified before they even finish the application (obviously one doesn't know this until after submission but you get my drift).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 06:53:41 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 12:30:25 AM by Smash255 »

I think the last time I did a paper application I was looking for a summer job when I was in high school, and I'm 32.......

Actually I should amend this somewhat, I have used paper applications/resumes at job fairs, but that is pretty much it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »

Paper. You know, the thing that you actually hold in your hand and get off your ass to deliver in person?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »

If paper means you also walk in and personally hand it to the manager and maybe chat a little bit, then paper is far superior. If paper means you mail it or carelessly leave it with a mid-level employee, it's probably worthless.
This has been experience so far.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:35 PM »

Paper. You know, the thing that you actually hold in your hand and get off your ass to deliver in person?

In my field, that's not possible.  If it's a small business, random people can't even enter the building, if it's bigger, you'll get to see a receptionist.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:43:06 PM »

In my field, that's not possible.  If it's a small business, random people can't even enter the building, if it's bigger, you'll get to see a receptionist.

I understand there are restraints, but it's pretty sad that we've made it so that it seems like it's not even possible to take a piece of paper to someone and talk to them. I mean, the act of picking up a piece of paper and putting it in someone's hands actually is possible.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:09 AM »

Not sure which one I prefer, but I"m pretty sure the only jobs I've applied for and gotten involved filling out paper applications, and that's probably how I'll get my next job.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:27:41 AM »

In my field, that's not possible.  If it's a small business, random people can't even enter the building, if it's bigger, you'll get to see a receptionist.

I understand there are restraints, but it's pretty sad that we've made it so that it seems like it's not even possible to take a piece of paper to someone and talk to them. I mean, the act of picking up a piece of paper and putting it in someone's hands actually is possible.

When I was working in Manhattan you couldn't go anywhere in my building without a pass showing that you worked for the bank, or checking in through security and having someone either come down and get you or tell them it was okay.  I'm sure my building was far from the only one like that (my dad's building was the same).

You can't exactly go up to security, hey I got a resume, let me up.  It doesn't work that way. There are some offices here on Long Island that have something similar.  In most other cases you might get into the office if is someplace with no seciroty, but the chances of you geting into someone in HR, or anyone who isn't a receptionist is virtually zilch.

With that being said, some jobs in retail, etc might be a different story, but for any office type job a paper application likely gets nowhere.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:53:51 AM »

This is the 21st century, so you apply online.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 03:59:39 AM »

I haven't filled out an application since 1993.  Edit-I take that back, it was '89.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 04:43:39 AM »

I prefer option 2, but only if I can also pay nearly a day's wage for the application form itself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies