Rand Paul introduces FAIR act (Fifth Amendment Integrity Restoration Act)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:52:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rand Paul introduces FAIR act (Fifth Amendment Integrity Restoration Act)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rand Paul introduces FAIR act (Fifth Amendment Integrity Restoration Act)  (Read 2550 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:38:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1204

100% support from me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »

It's an interesting idea but the devil is in the details.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:24:06 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me, although requiring "clear and convincing evidence" could get in the way of law enforcement. But of course, sometimes you have to do just that to protect liberties.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

History tells us this kind of legislation isn't a good idea, when the borders are unsecured and immigration policy is a complete mess.

We've been down this road before. If you want to be an 18th-century Republican, you have to strengthen immigration laws and be willing to deport.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

History tells us this kind of legislation isn't a good idea, when the borders are unsecured and immigration policy is a complete mess.

We've been down this road before. If you want to be an 18th-century Republican, you have to strengthen immigration laws and be willing to deport.

Could you please explain how your post is relevant to the topic?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »

No it doesn't.

Freedom bill.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »

If you don't know, you shouldn't be moderating. Paul's bill is basically US Civics 101, and this particular issue, namely the application of the Bill of Rights during quasi-war, has raged since the dawn of our republic. You shouldn't need someone to walk you through it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 11:54:39 AM by True Federalist »

If you don't know, you shouldn't be moderating. Paul's bill is basically US Civics 101, and this particular issue, namely the application of the Bill of Rights during quasi-war, has raged since the dawn of our republic. You shouldn't need someone to walk you through it.

You seem obsessed by immigrants.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »

#randpaulismyfriend2016
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:13 AM »

so your answer is no

I appreciate the heightened level of discourse
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:22:06 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 10:23:38 AM by True Federalist »

so your answer is no

I appreciate the heightened level of discourse

I just said this debate hinges on the application/interpretation of the civil rights during quasi-war.

And stop moderating my posts when I do my off-topic trollery!

(Italics: Replacement text from your friendly neighborhood spidermod.)
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 11:56:49 AM by True Federalist »

This is on-topic, I see.

(On-topic, but still in need of moderation, which I've done both in the original and in what you quoted. - TF)

If you want to undermine your own credibility, choose something more interesting than misplaced censorship. Bill of Rights and immigration are as intertwined today as they were during the passage of the Alien and Sedition Acts. If anything the relevance of these topics has grown substantially during the Cold War and the War on Terror, neither of which are official wars.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:01 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 12:10:55 PM by True Federalist »

Bill of Rights and immigration are as intertwined today as they were during the passage of the Alien and Sedition Acts. If anything the relevance of these topics has grown substantially during the Cold War and the War on Terror, neither of which are official wars.

Actually, what is driving this particular bill is the War on Drugs, and while immigrants (both legal and illegal) have been useful bogeymen for certain people in all of these "wars", they aren't the cause of these problems.  As someone more profound than me once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us." The only unofficial war that doesn't seem to have caused some impingement on civil liberties is the War on Cancer.  (And even that could be debated given the restrictions placed on tobacco advertising.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:19 PM »

This is on-topic, I see.

(On-topic, but still in need of moderation, which I've done both in the original and in what you quoted. - TF)

If you want to undermine your own credibility, choose something more interesting than misplaced censorship. Bill of Rights and immigration are as intertwined today as they were during the passage of the Alien and Sedition Acts. If anything the relevance of these topics has grown substantially during the Cold War and the War on Terror, neither of which are official wars.

No. Yet again you're chasing your own tail in a self-referential world where every point you make is OH so OBVIOUS to the non-plebian drones of the world.

Meanwhile, in Realityville, you constantly sound like a crank.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2014, 05:12:24 PM by AggregateDemand »

Actually, what is driving this particular bill is the War on Drugs, and while immigrants (both legal and illegal) have been useful bogeymen for certain people in all of these "wars", they aren't the cause of these problems.  As someone more profound than me once said, "We have met the enemy and he is us." The only unofficial war that doesn't seem to have caused some impingement on civil liberties is the War on Cancer.  (And even that could be debated given the restrictions placed on tobacco advertising.)

Fair enough. Judging by the provision to divert seized assets to the General Treasury Fund, War on Drugs looks like the quasi-war justification for the FAIR Act. However, immigration and border policy are even more relevant, if War on Drugs is the motivating factor.

My assessment of the bill doesn't change. Bad legislative initiatives, like the War on Drugs, are not diseases. Inoculating the public with a Bill of Rights vaccine will not eliminate the virus. I suspect the FAIR Act is merely the version of libertarian virtue which is most compatible with the Republicans, who are hesitant to eliminate the War on Drugs. Paul would do better to cross the aisle, even if House Republicans try to scuttle his bill.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »

100% support from me.
[/quote]
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P