The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:38:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56672 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2014, 05:19:54 AM »

The Theory of Everything

Oscar prediction: Best Picture nomination, Best Actor win
retromike22
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2014, 02:31:09 AM »

The Grand Budapest Hotel

A-

Interesting and fun. Once in a while it looks like it borders on crazy but the pieces fall together nicely. The R rating was a bit harsh.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2014, 02:35:46 AM »

The Prince of Egypt

I had seen it once before,but only bits and pieces not all the way through. Really makes me wish Dreamworks was doing 2D Animation again.

@angus: I forgot that even had a movie adaptation, but the book was an excellent read back in High School.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 02:41:21 AM »

The Imitation Game is really smart.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »

I think it was 2012, but the most recent new movie that I have seen is The Conspirator by Robert Redford. It needs to be seen. It's the depressing account of the hanging of an innocent woman following the Lincoln assassination, and it offers a perspective on the "with us or against us" mentality that applied then and now. Best Civil War era movie I have seen in a long time, maybe since Glory.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »

I watched White Christmas (on AMC) on Christmas Eve, and then A Christmas Story on TBS on Christmas (although it was edited for time.)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 02:25:33 AM by 🎄Lief🎄 »

Snowpiercer

Probably my favorite movie I've seen so far this year (though yet to see things like Boyhood and Birdman). Everything about it was great. And unlike some over-hyped science fiction films this year, it was actually interesting, thought-provoking, and open to interpretation.

Also re-watched Gone Girl last night, and it's even better on re-watch. Really masterful film.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2015, 04:15:40 AM »

I also just watched Snowpiercer. Definitely enjoyed it, reminded me a lot of those type of sci-fi/action movies that were so prominent in the 80s and early 90s (only with better acting and a better story than most of those had). Good stuff.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2015, 10:37:17 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 07:38:19 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. I saw it about a week ago but since J.R.R. Tolkien came into this world a hundred and twenty-three years ago today I figured I'd mention it now.

BotFA is by far the funniest of the Peter Jackson Tolkien adaptations, and is funnier than most comedies. I particularly enjoyed the unnecessary amount of time spent with the Lake-Town refugees, Thorin's change of heart being communicated via a Neon Genesis Evangelion-style hallucination rather than Richard Armitage's (actually quite good) acting, Thranduil picking up six orcs on his elk mount's antlers, the introduction of Dune sandworms into the setting that went completely unexplained, Legolas grabbing the legs of a giant bat or bird or something to get from a low point to a high point and then shooting his ride so it would let go of him when it got there, Legolas climbing a collapsing horizontal surface like a staircase, the absolute hash made of Middle-earth's geography (Gundabad and Eriador are both presented as being north of Erebor, and it's apparently possible to ride a horse from Erebor to Gundabad and back in the space of a single day), Dain Ironfoot riding a hog into battle, the obviously focus-grouped characterization of Tauriel (who by rights should have been an excellent character and a sorely needed addition to the story), Galadriel going Full Noldor for the first time since the Fellowship of the Ring movie and with only slightly better special effects, how transparently sketchy Saruman was, wonderful dialogue like 'these bats were bred for only one purpose...WAR' and 'will you have peace...OR WAR?', Thranduil's characterization as some sort of cross between Curufin and Thingol, and the fact that Aragorn is apparently already a Ranger of the North at the age of like eight ten or something.

There were parts of it that genuinely worked, though (see, again: Richard Armitage's acting), and a (very) few that I'd even call improvements on the book (changing 'food and cheer' to 'home' in Thorin's death speech was a thematic improvement even if it was a little hamfisted, and the removal of the frankly absurd 'but sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell' part was welcome, although I'm sorry that we lost the 'child of the kindly West' part).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »

Birdman. Unintentional Oscar fodder but a very solid and unique film.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »

The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza). Let's just say that the title is accurate, although there's so much more to it than that. For want of a better way of putting it, this is film. Paolo Sorrentino is an obscenely talented director and Toni Servillo is a ridiculously good actor. Go and see it at once.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »

the fact that Aragorn is apparently already a Ranger of the North at the age of like eight or something.

Ten, if you go by Tolkien's timeline, but I won't begrudge the decision to have him be a bit older unless it leads to an Aragorn and Legolas film, or even a worse a film in which Tauriel ends up trying to pick up Aragorn on the rebound, leading to a catfight with Arwen.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »

Invasion U.S.A. (1952)

Easily the worst thing I've seen in a long, long time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »

Good MST3K episode, tho.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »

The Big Lebowski

A Serious Man

22 Jump Street

The Grand Budapest Hotel
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »

The Penguins of Madagascar
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2015, 10:56:17 PM »

Big Hero 6

Decent comedy, excellent animation and voice-acting, but ultimately it was the blatantly clear San Francisco look that I got lost in...even though it was supposed to be a hybrid of San Francisco and Tokyo.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2015, 12:43:23 AM »

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies and Selma.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

The Homesman

So, the *real* Wild West sucked because the American frontier was basically the 19th century version of present-day Afghanistan... Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2015, 01:06:14 AM »

Whiplash

I think people are over-rating it a little bit, but it's very good. The editing is technically very impressive, and the performances from both leads are amazing. I think at the end of the day though I'm just not super interested in the trials and tribulations of college jazz band. I do love a movie that evokes a consistent mood in the viewer though, and the whole thing makes you so tense and anxious.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2015, 09:43:35 AM »

Whiplash

I think people are over-rating it a little bit, but it's very good. The editing is technically very impressive, and the performances from both leads are amazing. I think at the end of the day though I'm just not super interested in the trials and tribulations of college jazz band. I do love a movie that evokes a consistent mood in the viewer though, and the whole thing makes you so tense and anxious.

So would you say it was really good for what it was, but not necessarily your cup of tea?

On a different note, I just saw the Immitation Game and was quite disappointed.  The acting by Cumberbatch was good, but nothing to write home about.  The characters were all very one-note (although Charles Dance and Mark Strong did the best they could with what they were given).  The story was also a great example of a time where a massive amount of artistic license was taken and it made the movie less interesting.  There's definitely a great movie to be made about Turing, but this sure wasn't it!

I'd give it a C-
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »

Seven
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 12:41:06 AM by Lief »

So would you say it was really good for what it was, but not necessarily your cup of tea?

Yeah, basically.

I actually also watched The Imitation Game and I really enjoyed it. I just thought that Cumberbatch's performance was so, so good. It was really beautiful to me. It is a very formulaic and cliched historical biopic, to the point that a number of scenes are so obviously ahistorical fabrications that it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

And it sort of comes off as a cheap knock-off of something like "A Beautiful Mind." 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:14 AM »

Saw Whiplash tonight. It exceeded my expectations mainly because I had no real interest in the subject so the fact that it held my attention for the full length is an accomplishment in itself. The ending scene was kind of cool but went on a bit too long. I don't know if he needed a love interest.

I agree The Imitation Game does have some very convenient Oscarbait movie formula cliches in it, but Cumberbatch was so good I really sort of glossed over it while watching it. It wasn't until much after did I think back and realize "wow, that obviously did not happen."
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »

The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza). Let's just say that the title is accurate, although there's so much more to it than that. For want of a better way of putting it, this is film. Paolo Sorrentino is an obscenely talented director and Toni Servillo is a ridiculously good actor. Go and see it at once.

The Great Beauty is indeed a truly fantastic film.  It's Californication without the fart jokes, but with a meaningful ending.

I'm planning to go see Inherent Vice this weekend.  While I felt The Master, Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film was all over the place, There will be blood remains the best film of the last 15 years at least.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies